Screen Saver prevents monitor from turning off

D.P. Roberts

Screen Saver prevents monitor from turning off
I recently got a new computer running Windows Vista and everything is
working great except the monitor won't turn off automatically like it
should. My Screen Saver starts fine after 3 minutes of inactivity - I'm
using the built-in My Pictures Slideshow that shows personal pictures &
video clips. But the monitor never turns off even though I have it
configured to auto-power off after 30 minutes of inactivity - it just stays
on all day running my screen saver. If I change the screen saver to a
different one the monitor turns off after 30 minutes like it should. The
problem seems limited to the My Pictures Slideshow screen saver. This is
troubling because this same configuration worked fine with Windows XP (the
only difference was that XP's My Pictures Slideshow did not include videos -
it only showed pictures). Is this just a bug in Vista or is there something
I can do to resolve the problem?

Thanks for any suggestions out there!

D.P. Roberts

Re: Screen Saver prevents monitor from turning off
Well, after further testing last night I think I know what is happening but
I have no idea how to fix it. When using the "Photos" screensaver in Vista,
it displays 50 pictures and then does some kind of 'reset' that makes the
monitor think user input has occurred, thus preventing the monitor from
turning off like you expect. This 'reset' is visibly noticeable because
after the 50th picture has been displayed, it fades away slowly to a black
screen, pauses a moment, and then continues displaying the next 50 pictures
seamlessly with no breaks. This pattern continues in the same manner
indefinitely. This bug only seems to happen when using the "Photos"
screensaver.

Now, the Photos screensaver lets you choose between 3 speeds - Slow, Medium,
and Fast, and the speeds take 7, 5, and 3 minutes respectively to reach 50
pictures and do the reset. SO, if you're using the Slow speed and configure
your monitor to turn off after 5 minutes or less, it will turn off as
expected. But if you configure your monitor to turn off after 10 minutes or
more, it will not work - the monitor will stay on all day because the
'reset' happens every 7 minutes. I like to have the screensaver start after
2 minutes and the monitor turn off after 30 minutes. This worked fine in XP
but not in Vista for the reasons pointed out above.

So here's the big question: Anyone know how to prevent the 'reset' from
happening after every 50 pictures are displayed in the "Photos" screensaver?

"D.P. Roberts" <dproberts@nospampleeze.com> wrote in message
>I recently got a new computer running Windows Vista and everything is
>working great except the monitor won't turn off automatically like it
>should. My Screen Saver starts fine after 3 minutes of inactivity - I'm
>using the built-in My Pictures Slideshow that shows personal pictures &
>video clips. But the monitor never turns off even though I have it
>configured to auto-power off after 30 minutes of inactivity - it just stays
>on all day running my screen saver. If I change the screen saver to a
>different one the monitor turns off after 30 minutes like it should. The
>problem seems limited to the My Pictures Slideshow screen saver. This is
>troubling because this same configuration worked fine with Windows XP (the
>only difference was that XP's My Pictures Slideshow did not include
>videos - it only showed pictures). Is this just a bug in Vista or is there
>something I can do to resolve the problem?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions out there!

Curt

Re: Screen Saver prevents monitor from turning off
Are there 50 pictures in the directory? It might be reaching the
end of the directory and going back to the beginning.

You might be able to work it by choosing shuffle.

--
Curt

> Well, after further testing last night I think I know what is happening
> but I have no idea how to fix it. When using the "Photos" screensaver in
> Vista, it displays 50 pictures and then does some kind of 'reset' that
> makes the monitor think user input has occurred, thus preventing the
> monitor from turning off like you expect. This 'reset' is visibly
> noticeable because after the 50th picture has been displayed, it fades
> away slowly to a black screen, pauses a moment, and then continues
> displaying the next 50 pictures seamlessly with no breaks. This pattern
> continues in the same manner indefinitely. This bug only seems to happen
> when using the "Photos" screensaver.
>
> Now, the Photos screensaver lets you choose between 3 speeds - Slow,
> Medium, and Fast, and the speeds take 7, 5, and 3 minutes respectively to
> reach 50 pictures and do the reset. SO, if you're using the Slow speed and
> configure your monitor to turn off after 5 minutes or less, it will turn
> off as expected. But if you configure your monitor to turn off after 10
> minutes or more, it will not work - the monitor will stay on all day
> because the 'reset' happens every 7 minutes. I like to have the
> screensaver start after 2 minutes and the monitor turn off after 30
> minutes. This worked fine in XP but not in Vista for the reasons pointed
> out above.
>
> So here's the big question: Anyone know how to prevent the 'reset' from
> happening after every 50 pictures are displayed in the "Photos"
> screensaver?
>

> "D.P. Roberts" <dproberts@nospampleeze.com> wrote in message
>>I recently got a new computer running Windows Vista and everything is
>>working great except the monitor won't turn off automatically like it
>>should. My Screen Saver starts fine after 3 minutes of inactivity - I'm
>>using the built-in My Pictures Slideshow that shows personal pictures &
>>video clips. But the monitor never turns off even though I have it
>>configured to auto-power off after 30 minutes of inactivity - it just
>>stays on all day running my screen saver. If I change the screen saver to
>>a different one the monitor turns off after 30 minutes like it should. The
>>problem seems limited to the My Pictures Slideshow screen saver. This is
>>troubling because this same configuration worked fine with Windows XP (the
>>only difference was that XP's My Pictures Slideshow did not include
>>videos - it only showed pictures). Is this just a bug in Vista or is there
>>something I can do to resolve the problem?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions out there!

D.P. Roberts

Re: Screen Saver prevents monitor from turning off
No, there are more than 1,000 pictures in the directory, including several
subdirectories of photos as well. The screensaver displays pictures from any
of these subdirectories. I've tried with and without shuflling and the
problem happens either way.

"Curt" <cdlevin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Are there 50 pictures in the directory? It might be reaching the
> end of the directory and going back to the beginning.
>
> You might be able to work it by choosing shuffle.
>
> --
> Curt
>

> "D.P. Roberts" <dproberts@nospampleeze.com> wrote in message
>> Well, after further testing last night I think I know what is happening
>> but I have no idea how to fix it. When using the "Photos" screensaver in
>> Vista, it displays 50 pictures and then does some kind of 'reset' that
>> makes the monitor think user input has occurred, thus preventing the
>> monitor from turning off like you expect. This 'reset' is visibly
>> noticeable because after the 50th picture has been displayed, it fades
>> away slowly to a black screen, pauses a moment, and then continues
>> displaying the next 50 pictures seamlessly with no breaks. This pattern
>> continues in the same manner indefinitely. This bug only seems to happen
>> when using the "Photos" screensaver.
>>
>> Now, the Photos screensaver lets you choose between 3 speeds - Slow,
>> Medium, and Fast, and the speeds take 7, 5, and 3 minutes respectively to
>> reach 50 pictures and do the reset. SO, if you're using the Slow speed
>> and configure your monitor to turn off after 5 minutes or less, it will
>> turn off as expected. But if you configure your monitor to turn off after
>> 10 minutes or more, it will not work - the monitor will stay on all day
>> because the 'reset' happens every 7 minutes. I like to have the
>> screensaver start after 2 minutes and the monitor turn off after 30
>> minutes. This worked fine in XP but not in Vista for the reasons pointed
>> out above.
>>
>> So here's the big question: Anyone know how to prevent the 'reset' from
>> happening after every 50 pictures are displayed in the "Photos"
>> screensaver?
>>

>> "D.P. Roberts" <dproberts@nospampleeze.com> wrote in message
>>>I recently got a new computer running Windows Vista and everything is
>>>working great except the monitor won't turn off automatically like it
>>>should. My Screen Saver starts fine after 3 minutes of inactivity - I'm
>>>using the built-in My Pictures Slideshow that shows personal pictures &
>>>video clips. But the monitor never turns off even though I have it
>>>configured to auto-power off after 30 minutes of inactivity - it just
>>>stays on all day running my screen saver. If I change the screen saver to
>>>a different one the monitor turns off after 30 minutes like it should.
>>>The problem seems limited to the My Pictures Slideshow screen saver. This
>>>is troubling because this same configuration worked fine with Windows XP
>>>(the only difference was that XP's My Pictures Slideshow did not include
>>>videos - it only showed pictures). Is this just a bug in Vista or is
>>>there something I can do to resolve the problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions out there!

Curt

Re: Screen Saver prevents monitor from turning off
Then it might be a memory error.

That's a lot of pictures to load. If superfetch
is trying to load them. I can't say.

Have you checked the error logs?

--
Curt

> No, there are more than 1,000 pictures in the directory, including several
> subdirectories of photos as well. The screensaver displays pictures from
> any of these subdirectories. I've tried with and without shuflling and the
> problem happens either way.
>

> "Curt" <cdlevin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Are there 50 pictures in the directory? It might be reaching the
>> end of the directory and going back to the beginning.
>>
>> You might be able to work it by choosing shuffle.
>>
>> --
>> Curt
>>

>> "D.P. Roberts" <dproberts@nospampleeze.com> wrote in message
>>> Well, after further testing last night I think I know what is happening
>>> but I have no idea how to fix it. When using the "Photos" screensaver in
>>> Vista, it displays 50 pictures and then does some kind of 'reset' that
>>> makes the monitor think user input has occurred, thus preventing the
>>> monitor from turning off like you expect. This 'reset' is visibly
>>> noticeable because after the 50th picture has been displayed, it fades
>>> away slowly to a black screen, pauses a moment, and then continues
>>> displaying the next 50 pictures seamlessly with no breaks. This pattern
>>> continues in the same manner indefinitely. This bug only seems to happen
>>> when using the "Photos" screensaver.
>>>
>>> Now, the Photos screensaver lets you choose between 3 speeds - Slow,
>>> Medium, and Fast, and the speeds take 7, 5, and 3 minutes respectively
>>> to reach 50 pictures and do the reset. SO, if you're using the Slow
>>> speed and configure your monitor to turn off after 5 minutes or less, it
>>> will turn off as expected. But if you configure your monitor to turn off
>>> after 10 minutes or more, it will not work - the monitor will stay on
>>> all day because the 'reset' happens every 7 minutes. I like to have the
>>> screensaver start after 2 minutes and the monitor turn off after 30
>>> minutes. This worked fine in XP but not in Vista for the reasons pointed
>>> out above.
>>>
>>> So here's the big question: Anyone know how to prevent the 'reset' from
>>> happening after every 50 pictures are displayed in the "Photos"
>>> screensaver?

D.P. Roberts

Re: Screen Saver prevents monitor from turning off
I don't think it's trying to load all the pictures - the same problem
happens if I point the screensaver to a folder containing less than 100
photos. Yes, I checked the event logs but didn't see anything suspicious.
Can anyone try duplicating this behavior? I'm curious if it is a general
vista bug or an isolated case.

Thanks for the responses...

> Then it might be a memory error.
>
> That's a lot of pictures to load. If superfetch
> is trying to load them. I can't say.
>
> Have you checked the error logs?
>
> --
> Curt
>

> "D.P. Roberts" <dproberts@nospampleeze.com> wrote in message
>> No, there are more than 1,000 pictures in the directory, including
>> several subdirectories of photos as well. The screensaver displays
>> pictures from any of these subdirectories. I've tried with and without
>> shuflling and the problem happens either way.
>>

>> "Curt" <cdlevin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Are there 50 pictures in the directory? It might be reaching the
>>> end of the directory and going back to the beginning.
>>>
>>> You might be able to work it by choosing shuffle.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Curt

D.P. Roberts

Re: Screen Saver prevents monitor from turning off
I just tested it on another machine running a different version of Vista and
the same problem happens, so this is likely a general Vista bug that affects
everyone (the 2 versions I've tried this with are Vista Business and Vista
Enterprise). For those just joining this thread, here's a summary of the
bug:

If you configure your Vista screen saver to use the "Photos" option and
point it to a directory containing more than 50 pictures, the following
behavior occurs:

*When the screen saver runs, the screen fades to black and pauses for a
moment after every 50 pictures are displayed.
*This pause causes a 'reset' on the internal timer used by the monitor's
auto-power-off (Turn Off Display) setting.
*The end result is that your monitor will never auto-power-off when using
this screen saver, unless you set the auto-power-off to 2 or 3 minutes (so
it happens before the screen saver gets to the 50th picture).
*This problem happens regarldess of which speed you select (Slow, Medium, or
Fast), and it happens whether Shuffle is used or not.
*If your picture directory has 50 or fewer pictures, this problem does not
occur.

>I don't think it's trying to load all the pictures - the same problem
>happens if I point the screensaver to a folder containing less than 100
>photos. Yes, I checked the event logs but didn't see anything suspicious.
>Can anyone try duplicating this behavior? I'm curious if it is a general
>vista bug or an isolated case.
>
> Thanks for the responses...
>
> "Curt" <cdlevin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Then it might be a memory error.
>>
>> That's a lot of pictures to load. If superfetch
>> is trying to load them. I can't say.
>>
>> Have you checked the error logs?
>>
>> --
>> Curt
>>

>> "D.P. Roberts" <dproberts@nospampleeze.com> wrote in message
>>> No, there are more than 1,000 pictures in the directory, including
>>> several subdirectories of photos as well. The screensaver displays
>>> pictures from any of these subdirectories. I've tried with and without
>>> shuflling and the problem happens either way.

Ralph

Re: Screen Saver prevents monitor from turning off
This sounds cool- gonna test

>I just tested it on another machine running a different version of Vista
>and the same problem happens, so this is likely a general Vista bug that
>affects everyone (the 2 versions I've tried this with are Vista Business
>and Vista Enterprise). For those just joining this thread, here's a summary
>of the bug:
>
> If you configure your Vista screen saver to use the "Photos" option and
> point it to a directory containing more than 50 pictures, the following
> behavior occurs:
>
> *When the screen saver runs, the screen fades to black and pauses for a
> moment after every 50 pictures are displayed.
> *This pause causes a 'reset' on the internal timer used by the monitor's
> auto-power-off (Turn Off Display) setting.
> *The end result is that your monitor will never auto-power-off when using
> this screen saver, unless you set the auto-power-off to 2 or 3 minutes (so
> it happens before the screen saver gets to the 50th picture).
> *This problem happens regarldess of which speed you select (Slow, Medium,
> or Fast), and it happens whether Shuffle is used or not.
> *If your picture directory has 50 or fewer pictures, this problem does not
> occur.
>

> "D.P. Roberts" <dproberts@nospampleeze.com> wrote in message
>>I don't think it's trying to load all the pictures - the same problem
>>happens if I point the screensaver to a folder containing less than 100
>>photos. Yes, I checked the event logs but didn't see anything suspicious.
>>Can anyone try duplicating this behavior? I'm curious if it is a general
>>vista bug or an isolated case.
>>
>> Thanks for the responses...
>>
>> "Curt" <cdlevin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Then it might be a memory error.
>>>
>>> That's a lot of pictures to load. If superfetch
>>> is trying to load them. I can't say.
>>>
>>> Have you checked the error logs?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Curt

Ralph

Re: Screen Saver prevents monitor from turning off
sorry nope, my Dell monitor quite happily went to sleep. (amber indicator)

I did see the fade-to-black, then 11 more pictures appeared, then my monitor
turned off.
over 3000 pics in the folder, screensaver set to run at 1 minute, power off
at 5 min.

"Ralph" <aj531@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> This sounds cool- gonna test
>
> "D.P. Roberts" <dproberts@nospampleeze.com> wrote in message
>>I just tested it on another machine running a different version of Vista
>>and the same problem happens, so this is likely a general Vista bug that
>>affects everyone (the 2 versions I've tried this with are Vista Business
>>and Vista Enterprise). For those just joining this thread, here's a
>>summary of the bug:
>>
>> If you configure your Vista screen saver to use the "Photos" option and
>> point it to a directory containing more than 50 pictures, the following
>> behavior occurs:
>>
>> *When the screen saver runs, the screen fades to black and pauses for a
>> moment after every 50 pictures are displayed.
>> *This pause causes a 'reset' on the internal timer used by the monitor's
>> auto-power-off (Turn Off Display) setting.
>> *The end result is that your monitor will never auto-power-off when using
>> this screen saver, unless you set the auto-power-off to 2 or 3 minutes
>> (so it happens before the screen saver gets to the 50th picture).
>> *This problem happens regarldess of which speed you select (Slow, Medium,
>> or Fast), and it happens whether Shuffle is used or not.
>> *If your picture directory has 50 or fewer pictures, this problem does
>> not occur.
>>

>> "D.P. Roberts" <dproberts@nospampleeze.com> wrote in message
>>>I don't think it's trying to load all the pictures - the same problem
>>>happens if I point the screensaver to a folder containing less than 100
>>>photos. Yes, I checked the event logs but didn't see anything suspicious.
>>>Can anyone try duplicating this behavior? I'm curious if it is a general
>>>vista bug or an isolated case.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the responses...

D.P. Roberts

Re: Screen Saver prevents monitor from turning off
Ralph,
What speed is your "Photos" screen saver set to? At the Slow setting it
takes about 7 minutes to reach 50 pictures so you may need to change the
monitor's auto-power-off to 10 minutes to be sure. You saw the fade to
black, so I'm assuming you're using either the Medium or Fast setting,
right? Also, what version of Vista are you running? Perhaps it's only a
problem with certain versions. I've tried it on two different machines (both
are Dell Optiplex GX620 with Dell monitors) running two different versions
of Vista (Business & Enterprise). Anyway, thanks for the info...