db.files in pictures

coco''smom@msn.com

db.files in pictures
Sometimes when I download pictures from my digital camera, it creates
"thumbs" which I can not open. The properties shows it as a db.file. This
has only happened since I have had Windows Vista. XP was so much
easier...wish I had it back!!! I read through the posts and checked to make
sure the correct tabs were checked and not checked that had been suggested
but the "thumbs" are still there! Any other suggestions? Thanks.
--
Coco''s mom
John Inzer

Re: db.files in pictures
coco''smom@msn.com wrote:
> Sometimes when I download pictures from my digital camera, it creates
> "thumbs" which I can not open. The properties shows it as a db.file.
> This has only happened since I have had Windows Vista. XP was so much
> easier...wish I had it back!!! I read through the posts and checked
> to make sure the correct tabs were checked and not checked that had
> been suggested but the "thumbs" are still there! Any other
> suggestions? Thanks.

================================
The article below explains what Thumbs.db is.
The creation of these files can be stopped by
going into Folder Options and check the box,
"Do Not Cache Thumbnails".

Thumbs.db
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumbs.db

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

coco''''smom@msn.com

Re: db.files in pictures
John,

Thanks for the quick response. However there is no "Do not cache
thumbnails" in the folders option in Vista Home. Any other suggestions? And
are there no pictures is there that I don't already have?
Thanks.
--
Coco's mom

"John Inzer" wrote:

> coco''smom@msn.com wrote:
> > Sometimes when I download pictures from my digital camera, it creates
> > "thumbs" which I can not open. The properties shows it as a db.file.
> > This has only happened since I have had Windows Vista. XP was so much
> > easier...wish I had it back!!! I read through the posts and checked
> > to make sure the correct tabs were checked and not checked that had
> > been suggested but the "thumbs" are still there! Any other
> > suggestions? Thanks.

> ================================
> The article below explains what Thumbs.db is.
> The creation of these files can be stopped by
> going into Folder Options and check the box,
> "Do Not Cache Thumbnails".
>
> Thumbs.db
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumbs.db
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP
>
> Digital Image
> Highlights and FAQs
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

John Inzer

Re: db.files in pictures
coco''''smom@msn.com wrote:
> John,
>
> Thanks for the quick response. However there is no "Do not cache
> thumbnails" in the folders option in Vista Home.

=======================================
Sorry...I must have been thinking about Windows XP.

Maybe the following article will help explain:

Where is Thumbs.db in Vista?
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...bsdb-in-vista/
=======================================
> Any other suggestions?

=======================================
All I can say is either ignore the files or delete them.
=======================================
> And are there no pictures is there that I don't already
> have?
> Thanks.

=======================================
No full sized pictures...just thumbs of the files in
the folder. As you noticed in the above article the
files created by Vista can be deleted by using
Disk Cleanup.

Sorry...but that's the best I can offer.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -
Digital Image MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

coco''smom@msn.com

Re: db.files in pictures
I just deleted each of them. I don't understand why it creates them and
sometimes it doesn't. As far as the disk clenup, my computer is set to
automatically do a cleanup every week and it has never gotten rid of them!
Thanks for your help.
--
Coco''s mom