Media Player will not open.

Kris Echols

Media Player will not open.
I like using Media Player 11 for Vista, but currently every time I try to
open up the Media Player, I see the Hour glass, it goes away, and nothing
opens. Is there something that I have not tried that could help fix this
problem.

Thanks
Kris

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Media Player will not open.

If you use the Adobe Flash uninstaller and then reinstall Flash from the
Adobe web site, does this then work?

Do PNG files still display in IE correctly?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Kris Echols" <Kris Echols@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I like using Media Player 11 for Vista, but currently every time I try to
> open up the Media Player, I see the Hour glass, it goes away, and nothing
> opens. Is there something that I have not tried that could help fix this
> problem.
>
> Thanks
> Kris

WannabeOutlookExpert

Re: Media Player will not open.
Dear Zachd,

Like Kris Echols, I too have the same problem of not being able to open
Windows Media Player. I have been using it successfully for months on my
Windows Vista based Sony VAOI laptop and now MP will simply not launch.
Unlike Kris, however, I do not even get the timer/hourglass. It simply will
not start. What do you suggest I try?

Reay Mackay - reay_mackay@hotmail.com
--
Reay.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> If you use the Adobe Flash uninstaller and then reinstall Flash from the
> Adobe web site, does this then work?
>
> Do PNG files still display in IE correctly?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "Kris Echols" <Kris Echols@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I like using Media Player 11 for Vista, but currently every time I try to
> > open up the Media Player, I see the Hour glass, it goes away, and nothing
> > opens. Is there something that I have not tried that could help fix this
> > problem.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Kris

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Media Player will not open.

You quoted my suggestion: did you try the Adobe Flash tip I suggested?
Is wmplayer.exe present in the Processes tab of Task Manager?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"WannabeOutlookExpert" <WannabeOutlookExpert@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:A0D4B434-5ECA-4898-B767-39724F365292@microsoft.com...
> Dear Zachd,
>
> Like Kris Echols, I too have the same problem of not being able to open
> Windows Media Player. I have been using it successfully for months on my
> Windows Vista based Sony VAOI laptop and now MP will simply not launch.
> Unlike Kris, however, I do not even get the timer/hourglass. It simply
> will
> not start. What do you suggest I try?
>
> Reay Mackay - reay_mackay@hotmail.com
> --
> Reay.
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> If you use the Adobe Flash uninstaller and then reinstall Flash from the
>> Adobe web site, does this then work?
>>
>> Do PNG files still display in IE correctly?
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "Kris Echols" <Kris Echols@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I like using Media Player 11 for Vista, but currently every time I try
>> > open up the Media Player, I see the Hour glass, it goes away, and
>> > nothing
>> > opens. Is there something that I have not tried that could help fix
>> > this
>> > problem.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Kris

Hill34

Re: Media Player will not open.
Zach I'm confused what Adobe flash has to do with running WMP11??

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> You quoted my suggestion: did you try the Adobe Flash tip I suggested?
> Is wmplayer.exe present in the Processes tab of Task Manager?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "WannabeOutlookExpert" <WannabeOutlookExpert@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:A0D4B434-5ECA-4898-B767-39724F365292@microsoft.com...
> > Dear Zachd,
> >
> > Like Kris Echols, I too have the same problem of not being able to open
> > Windows Media Player. I have been using it successfully for months on my
> > Windows Vista based Sony VAOI laptop and now MP will simply not launch.
> > Unlike Kris, however, I do not even get the timer/hourglass. It simply
> > will
> > not start. What do you suggest I try?
> >
> > Reay Mackay - reay_mackay@hotmail.com
> > --
> > Reay.
> >

> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >

> >> If you use the Adobe Flash uninstaller and then reinstall Flash from the
> >> Adobe web site, does this then work?
> >>
> >> Do PNG files still display in IE correctly?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Speaking for myself only.
> >> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> >> rights.

Hill34

Re: Media Player will not open.
I'm confused about what Adobe Flash has to do with running WMP11???

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> You quoted my suggestion: did you try the Adobe Flash tip I suggested?
> Is wmplayer.exe present in the Processes tab of Task Manager?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "WannabeOutlookExpert" <WannabeOutlookExpert@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:A0D4B434-5ECA-4898-B767-39724F365292@microsoft.com...
> > Dear Zachd,
> >
> > Like Kris Echols, I too have the same problem of not being able to open
> > Windows Media Player. I have been using it successfully for months on my
> > Windows Vista based Sony VAOI laptop and now MP will simply not launch.
> > Unlike Kris, however, I do not even get the timer/hourglass. It simply
> > will
> > not start. What do you suggest I try?
> >
> > Reay Mackay - reay_mackay@hotmail.com
> > --
> > Reay.
> >

> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >

> >> If you use the Adobe Flash uninstaller and then reinstall Flash from the
> >> Adobe web site, does this then work?
> >>
> >> Do PNG files still display in IE correctly?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Speaking for myself only.
> >> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> >> rights.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Media Player will not open.

It's one of many elements the player can access and use.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Hill34" <Hill34@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm confused about what Adobe Flash has to do with running WMP11???
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> You quoted my suggestion: did you try the Adobe Flash tip I suggested?
>> Is wmplayer.exe present in the Processes tab of Task Manager?
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "WannabeOutlookExpert" <WannabeOutlookExpert@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>> > Dear Zachd,
>> >
>> > Like Kris Echols, I too have the same problem of not being able to open
>> > Windows Media Player. I have been using it successfully for months on
>> > my
>> > Windows Vista based Sony VAOI laptop and now MP will simply not launch.
>> > Unlike Kris, however, I do not even get the timer/hourglass. It simply
>> > will
>> > not start. What do you suggest I try?
>> >
>> > Reay Mackay - reay_mackay@hotmail.com
>> > --
>> > Reay.

Hill34

Re: Media Player will not open.
Zach I tried all the suggestions:
In Control Panel > Default Programs > Set Program Access and Computer
Defaults, choose Custom and expand it. make sure "Enable access to this
program" for Windows Media Player has a checkmark.

If that looks okay, what happens if you right-click on Media Player, choose
Open File Location, and double-click on wmplayer.exe?

If nothing happens, open Task Manager (right-click your Taskbar) and see if
wmplayer.exe is running, on the Processes tab. If it is, right-click
wmplayer.exe, and choose End Process. Then try to open Media Player again.

If still no luck, try this:

Press the Windows key + R. In the Run box type

sfc /scannow

After the System File Checker scan, which may take awhile, you can confirm
any repairs by looking at the cbs.log (towards the end of the log) in
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS.
Access is denied when I tried to ope CBS log.
I can't even run "regsvr32 jscript.dll or vbscript.dll"

I get error "0x8002801c"
I rolled back settings in Vista to early December just to have WMP11 work
under Admin.
The initial problem was it doesn't run in a User Account.......

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> It's one of many elements the player can access and use.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "Hill34" <Hill34@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm confused about what Adobe Flash has to do with running WMP11???
> >
> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >

> >> You quoted my suggestion: did you try the Adobe Flash tip I suggested?
> >> Is wmplayer.exe present in the Processes tab of Task Manager?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Speaking for myself only.
> >> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> >> rights.
> >> --
> >>
> >> "WannabeOutlookExpert" <WannabeOutlookExpert@discussions.microsoft.com>

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Media Player will not open.

Whose suggestion was "Enable access to this program"? That's an amusing
one: it wouldn't do anything. That just controls WMP appearing in AutoPlay
and shortcuts to WMP and a couple other minor things not of interest here.

You need to run the "regsvr32" commands from CMD.exe opened As
Administrator. Then that should work.

--
> Zach I tried all the suggestions:
> In Control Panel > Default Programs > Set Program Access and Computer
> Defaults, choose Custom and expand it. make sure "Enable access to this
> program" for Windows Media Player has a checkmark.
>
> If that looks okay, what happens if you right-click on Media Player,
> choose
> Open File Location, and double-click on wmplayer.exe?
>
> If nothing happens, open Task Manager (right-click your Taskbar) and see
> if
> wmplayer.exe is running, on the Processes tab. If it is, right-click
> wmplayer.exe, and choose End Process. Then try to open Media Player again.
>
> If still no luck, try this:
>
> Press the Windows key + R. In the Run box type
>
> sfc /scannow
>
> After the System File Checker scan, which may take awhile, you can confirm
> any repairs by looking at the cbs.log (towards the end of the log) in
> C:\Windows\Logs\CBS.
> Access is denied when I tried to ope CBS log.
> I can't even run "regsvr32 jscript.dll or vbscript.dll"
>
> I get error "0x8002801c"
> I rolled back settings in Vista to early December just to have WMP11 work
> under Admin.
> The initial problem was it doesn't run in a User Account.......
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> It's one of many elements the player can access and use.
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "Hill34" <Hill34@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm confused about what Adobe Flash has to do with running WMP11???

WannabeOutlookExpert

Re: Media Player will not open.
Hi Zach,

I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Adobe Flash and that made no
difference. But I did then go into Task Manager and Processes; I ended the
process wmplayer.exe and then I was able to start the program as normal.
Thank you for your help.
--
Reay Mackay.