Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

VHS to digital

microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2008
shaolin
 

Posts: n/a
VHS to digital

Hi, I've searched for an answer to this but can't find it - hopefully
this will be a simple thing I'm missing!

I have a new Dell Inspiron 531 running Vista, it has a tuner card and I
want to copy VHS from a reasonably recent JVC VHS machine onto the hard
drive. Whatever I do I can't see any detection of the VHS player or
signal.

I've tried outputting the signal via a coaxial lead into the aerial
socket of the tuner card - nothing.
I've tried using a scart lead to s-video+2x phono with the phono into
an adapter going into the audio socket - nothing.
I've tried a scart to 3 phono adapter, with the yellow phono going into
the comp socket of the tuner card adn 2other 2 phonos via adapter into
audio as above - nothing.

I've tried looking for the signal in Windows Media Center and Windows
Movie Maker, I can't even see it let alone start to save it to the hard
drive.

Any ideas?


--
shaolin
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2008
johan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: VHS to digital

"shaolin" <shaolin.32iek3@no-mx.forums.net> schreef in bericht
news:shaolin.32iek3@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Hi, I've searched for an answer to this but can't find it - hopefully
> this will be a simple thing I'm missing!
>
> I have a new Dell Inspiron 531 running Vista, it has a tuner card and I
> want to copy VHS from a reasonably recent JVC VHS machine onto the hard
> drive. Whatever I do I can't see any detection of the VHS player or
> signal.
>
> I've tried outputting the signal via a coaxial lead into the aerial
> socket of the tuner card - nothing.
> I've tried using a scart lead to s-video+2x phono with the phono into
> an adapter going into the audio socket - nothing.
> I've tried a scart to 3 phono adapter, with the yellow phono going into
> the comp socket of the tuner card adn 2other 2 phonos via adapter into
> audio as above - nothing.
>
> I've tried looking for the signal in Windows Media Center and Windows
> Movie Maker, I can't even see it let alone start to save it to the hard
> drive.
>
> Any ideas?
> --
> shaolin


Try this http://www.plextor.com/english/products/px-av200u.html , works
fine here.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2008
John Inzer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: VHS to digital
shaolin wrote:
> Hi, I've searched for an answer to this but can't find it - hopefully
> this will be a simple thing I'm missing!
>
> I have a new Dell Inspiron 531 running Vista, it has a tuner card and
> I want to copy VHS from a reasonably recent JVC VHS machine onto the
> hard drive. Whatever I do I can't see any detection of the VHS player
> or signal.
>
> I've tried outputting the signal via a coaxial lead into the aerial
> socket of the tuner card - nothing.
> I've tried using a scart lead to s-video+2x phono with the phono into
> an adapter going into the audio socket - nothing.
> I've tried a scart to 3 phono adapter, with the yellow phono going
> into the comp socket of the tuner card adn 2other 2 phonos via
> adapter into audio as above - nothing.
>
> I've tried looking for the signal in Windows Media Center and Windows
> Movie Maker, I can't even see it let alone start to save it to the
> hard drive.
>
> Any ideas?

=======================================
Maybe the following articles will offer some ideas:

Windows Vista -
Toss out those VHS tapes
http://tinyurl.com/2xzmkb

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...65d901033.mspx

Windows Vista -
Import video from an analog video
camera or VCR through a DV camera
http://tinyurl.com/2ockxc

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...6b7021033.mspx

Capturing Analog Video
http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-CaptureAnalog.html

Movie Maker 2 - Capturing Analog Video - Dazzle
http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-CaptureAnalogDazzle.html

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -
Digital Image MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2008
Bill Condie
 

Posts: n/a
Re: VHS to digital
On XP it was easy. Your capture card saw the VCR on WMM, then you saved it
to DVD --a slow process.

My workaround in Vista Home Premium is to see the VHS tape as Ch 3 in Media
Center and record that

But the easiest way and probably the best way is to get a recordable
VCR/DVD combo. Tape-to-DVD in one step


"shaolin" <shaolin.32iek3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:shaolin.32iek3@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Hi, I've searched for an answer to this but can't find it - hopefully
> this will be a simple thing I'm missing!
>
> I have a new Dell Inspiron 531 running Vista, it has a tuner card and I
> want to copy VHS from a reasonably recent JVC VHS machine onto the hard
> drive. Whatever I do I can't see any detection of the VHS player or
> signal.
>
> I've tried outputting the signal via a coaxial lead into the aerial
> socket of the tuner card - nothing.
> I've tried using a scart lead to s-video+2x phono with the phono into
> an adapter going into the audio socket - nothing.
> I've tried a scart to 3 phono adapter, with the yellow phono going into
> the comp socket of the tuner card adn 2other 2 phonos via adapter into
> audio as above - nothing.
>
> I've tried looking for the signal in Windows Media Center and Windows
> Movie Maker, I can't even see it let alone start to save it to the hard
> drive.
>
> Any ideas?
>
>
> --
> shaolin


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2008
shaolin
 

Posts: n/a
Re: VHS to digital

Thanks for the pointers John, I'm starting to look through them now.


--
shaolin
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2008
John Inzer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: VHS to digital
shaolin wrote:
> Thanks for the pointers John, I'm starting to look through them now.

==================
You're welcome.

Good luck finding the info you need.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -
Digital Image MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2008
shaolin
 

Posts: n/a
Re: VHS to digital

Hi, thought I'd come back and report on what happened.

I'm starting to save VHS onto my hard drive as I write this.

I looked around my new computer and found something called "Roxio Media
Import" which it turns out has the right interface to "see" my tuner
card. This allows me to select the type of input signal and output file.

I could see the video through the Scart to s-video and 2 phono into an
audio plug via adapter connection, but it was in black and white (like
the bloke in Maplins who sold me the adapter told me it probably would
be).

I then tried a scart to 3 phono adapter, with the yellow phono going
into the comp socket of the tuner card and other 2 phonos via adapter
into audio as above, this gave me nothing however.

Various web sources said that the cable was critical so I went to my
local audio shop to see if they had a better scart to 3 phono adapter
when the guy pointed out that the adapter I had was a signal "in" only
(I hadn't seen that and somewhat bizarrely they have directionality). So
he sold me a signal "out" adapter and along with the cable and adapter I
already had I made things work!

So in brief I'm getting my VHS into digital using:

- TV Tuner card that fits into a PCI slot, his converts the analog
sigal from theVHS ino a digital signal that can be stored on the HD
- Windows Vista and Roxio Media Import programme, this allows me to see
what is going on and adjust various settings
- VHS machine and scart connector / 3-phono adapter feeding into the
Composite Video socket on the tuner card and a 2 phono to the audio
socket via an adapter.

It seems that there are other ways of doing this, but the 3 steps I've
bulleted above are common to all.


--
shaolin
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2008
stevebo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: VHS to digital
Hi John,

I am having problems importing my VHS tapes into Vista Home too. I
purchased a product called Video Xpress before Vista came out, so I
essentially have an A/D converter and XP software that won't run under Vista.

I tried using Windows Movie Maker with the A/D converter, but Movie Maker
doesn't recognize the incoming stream as digital video and I don't own a DV
camera.

I have a shareware product called VLC media player, which actually captures
video, but the audio is a loud humming feedback noise.

Am I missing something really obvious here? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

"John Inzer" wrote:

> shaolin wrote:
> > Hi, I've searched for an answer to this but can't find it - hopefully
> > this will be a simple thing I'm missing!
> >
> > I have a new Dell Inspiron 531 running Vista, it has a tuner card and
> > I want to copy VHS from a reasonably recent JVC VHS machine onto the
> > hard drive. Whatever I do I can't see any detection of the VHS player
> > or signal.
> >
> > I've tried outputting the signal via a coaxial lead into the aerial
> > socket of the tuner card - nothing.
> > I've tried using a scart lead to s-video+2x phono with the phono into
> > an adapter going into the audio socket - nothing.
> > I've tried a scart to 3 phono adapter, with the yellow phono going
> > into the comp socket of the tuner card adn 2other 2 phonos via
> > adapter into audio as above - nothing.
> >
> > I've tried looking for the signal in Windows Media Center and Windows
> > Movie Maker, I can't even see it let alone start to save it to the
> > hard drive.
> >
> > Any ideas?

> =======================================
> Maybe the following articles will offer some ideas:
>
> Windows Vista -
> Toss out those VHS tapes
> http://tinyurl.com/2xzmkb
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...65d901033.mspx
>
> Windows Vista -
> Import video from an analog video
> camera or VCR through a DV camera
> http://tinyurl.com/2ockxc
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...6b7021033.mspx
>
> Capturing Analog Video
> http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-CaptureAnalog.html
>
> Movie Maker 2 - Capturing Analog Video - Dazzle
> http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-CaptureAnalogDazzle.html
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP
>
> Digital Image
> Highlights and FAQs
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2008
Bill Condie
 

Posts: n/a
Re: VHS to digital
If you had XP and a Capture Card you could have saved it to your HD.

On Vista Media Center, The VCR hooked to your Capture Card is Ch3.

So you can capture your tape and Media Center calls it whatever program is
on the real Ch3 at that time.

Trouble is it stops recording when the real Ch3 TV program ends.


"stevebo" <stevebo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8BE8909B-C64B-40F4-8C04-88A9BFF3FBD5@microsoft.com...
> Hi John,
>
> I am having problems importing my VHS tapes into Vista Home too. I
> purchased a product called Video Xpress before Vista came out, so I
> essentially have an A/D converter and XP software that won't run under
> Vista.
>
> I tried using Windows Movie Maker with the A/D converter, but Movie Maker
> doesn't recognize the incoming stream as digital video and I don't own a
> DV
> camera.
>
> I have a shareware product called VLC media player, which actually
> captures
> video, but the audio is a loud humming feedback noise.
>
> Am I missing something really obvious here? Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> "John Inzer" wrote:
>
>> shaolin wrote:
>> > Hi, I've searched for an answer to this but can't find it - hopefully
>> > this will be a simple thing I'm missing!
>> >
>> > I have a new Dell Inspiron 531 running Vista, it has a tuner card and
>> > I want to copy VHS from a reasonably recent JVC VHS machine onto the
>> > hard drive. Whatever I do I can't see any detection of the VHS player
>> > or signal.
>> >
>> > I've tried outputting the signal via a coaxial lead into the aerial
>> > socket of the tuner card - nothing.
>> > I've tried using a scart lead to s-video+2x phono with the phono into
>> > an adapter going into the audio socket - nothing.
>> > I've tried a scart to 3 phono adapter, with the yellow phono going
>> > into the comp socket of the tuner card adn 2other 2 phonos via
>> > adapter into audio as above - nothing.
>> >
>> > I've tried looking for the signal in Windows Media Center and Windows
>> > Movie Maker, I can't even see it let alone start to save it to the
>> > hard drive.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

>> =======================================
>> Maybe the following articles will offer some ideas:
>>
>> Windows Vista -
>> Toss out those VHS tapes
>> http://tinyurl.com/2xzmkb
>>
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...65d901033.mspx
>>
>> Windows Vista -
>> Import video from an analog video
>> camera or VCR through a DV camera
>> http://tinyurl.com/2ockxc
>>
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...6b7021033.mspx
>>
>> Capturing Analog Video
>> http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-CaptureAnalog.html
>>
>> Movie Maker 2 - Capturing Analog Video - Dazzle
>> http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-CaptureAnalogDazzle.html
>>
>> --
>>
>> John Inzer
>> MS Picture It! -
>> Digital Image MVP
>>
>> Digital Image
>> Highlights and FAQs
>> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695
>>
>> Notice
>> This is not tech support
>> I am a volunteer
>>
>> Solutions that work for
>> me may not work for you
>>
>> Proceed at your own risk

>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VHS to DV for Movie Player (Vista) Dan microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 10 07-15-2008 22:15
Converting vhs tapes to dvd and editing video in Vista Dian and Mike microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 3 11-30-2007 03:01
import vhs tapes to my computer augs7 microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 0 11-06-2007 01:40
enregistrement des cassettes vhs sur l'ordi jorandall62 microsoft.public.fr.windows.vista.installation 9 05-04-2007 21:30




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:05.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120