transferring photos from computer to a disk

Sam

transferring photos from computer to a disk
I want to download my photos to a disk to put on a picture frame that gives
you a slide show and need help. I don't know alot about my new laptop which
is a Dell inspiron Vista
Graham Hughes

Re: transferring photos from computer to a disk
Make sure pictures are in the format that the frame requires
Put recordable disc in drive
Open exporer
drag pictures from hdd location to cd drive
click on burn these files to disc.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3B1AF38-B10B-4A83-9F80-E3299A1A055A@microsoft.com...
>I want to download my photos to a disk to put on a picture frame that gives
> you a slide show and need help. I don't know alot about my new laptop
> which
> is a Dell inspiron Vista

JoeCharlesworth is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Transferring photos from CD to hard disk in Vista
I have just purchased a Dell XPS 420 from PC world with Windows Vista pre-installed.
I had previously backed up my photos on CD-RW which was a good thing as the motherboard and hard drive died spectacularly on my last PC.
I have been trying to transfer the files from CD to the hard disk on my new PC. When I insert the CD in to the DVD-RW drive I get several options to transfer files:
Using 'Media Import' (part of Vista) takes forever...and I mean forever - at last count more than 48 hours and still going to transfer about 800 photos (approx 600MB). Shouldn't my DVD drive be a little quicker than this?
If I transfer the files manually using cut and paste this seems to be just as slow and some of the files cannot be transferred.
Please could somebody clever than I am help me? Is there a quicker way? Is this a problem with Vista, my DVD drive, the CD-RW or just inherent to the hardware that I am using?
Thanks
John Inzer

JoeCharlesworth wrote:
> I have just purchased a Dell XPS 420 from PC world with Windows Vista
> pre-installed.
> I had previously backed up my photos on CD-RW which was a good thing
> as the motherboard and hard drive died spectacularly on my last PC.
> I have been trying to transfer the files from CD to the hard disk on
> my new PC. When I insert the CD in to the DVD-RW drive I get several
> options to transfer files:
> Using 'Media Import' (part of Vista) takes forever...and I mean
> forever - at last count more than 48 hours and still going to
> transfer about 800 photos (approx 600MB). Shouldn't my DVD drive be a
> little quicker than this?
> If I transfer the files manually using cut and paste this seems to be
> just as slow and some of the files cannot be transferred.
> Please could somebody clever than I am help me? Is there a quicker
> way? Is this a problem with Vista, my DVD drive, the CD-RW or just
> inherent to the hardware that I am using?
> Thanks

===================================
Maybe the following article will offer some ideas:

Slow File and Folder Copy, Move, Transfer or
Delete Operation Speed Problem in Vista Fix
http://tinyurl.com/35uvko
or...
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...-in-vista-fix/

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

JoeCharlesworth is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks John.

Some useful tips. It is at the very least reassuring to know that this is a general problem with vista and not solely my PC. Still, another nail in the coffin of vista's reputation I'm afraid!
John Inzer

JoeCharlesworth wrote:
> Thanks John.
>
> Some useful tips. It is at the very least reassuring to know that this
> is a general problem with vista and not solely my PC. Still, another
> nail in the coffin of vista's reputation I'm afraid!

======================
You're welcome.

--

John Inzer
Digital Media MVP

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Hobo

JoeCharlesworth wrote:
> I have just purchased a Dell XPS 420 from PC world with Windows Vista
> pre-installed.
> I had previously backed up my photos on CD-RW which was a good thing as
> the motherboard and hard drive died spectacularly on my last PC.
> I have been trying to transfer the files from CD to the hard disk on my
> new PC. When I insert the CD in to the DVD-RW drive I get several
> options to transfer files:
> Using 'Media Import' (part of Vista) takes forever...and I mean forever
> - at last count more than 48 hours and still going to transfer about 800
> photos (approx 600MB). Shouldn't my DVD drive be a little quicker than
> this?
> If I transfer the files manually using cut and paste this seems to be
> just as slow and some of the files cannot be transferred.
> Please could somebody clever than I am help me? Is there a quicker way?
> Is this a problem with Vista, my DVD drive, the CD-RW or just inherent
> to the hardware that I am using?
> Thanks

Hi John,

You are doing it the hard way. You don't have to 'import' the pictures,
you only have to copy them from the CD to your hard drive.

As an experiment, I just copied 4.15 gigs of backed up photos from a DVD
to a hard drive in 13 min and 40 seconds.

Here is what I did - close the automatic choice menu that comes up
when you insert the CD into the drive. Click on 'Computer' (in the menu
or desk top, where ever you have it). When it opens and shows you your
drives, click on the CD/DVD drive and all of your folders/photo file
icons will be visible. Click on 'Alt' to bring up the tool bar menu,
click on edit, choose 'select all' and all of the files/folders will be
highlighted. Click on 'edit' again and select 'copy to folder'. A menu
will come up where you can choose which location you wish to have the
pictures copied to. Once you have chosen the location, click 'copy'.

With your system the copying should only take a couple of minutes at most.

Hobo

JoeCharlesworth is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Hobo.

I had tried that approach. That is what I meant by 'transfer the files manually using cut and paste'. It too was extrememely slow when I transferred large amounts of data.

So I have resorted to doing things a few megs at a time and this seems to be OK.

All the best.

Joe