AVI files don't play on Vista, can you help?

G'Kar

AVI files don't play on Vista, can you help?
Message: my video collection was playing well on my old HP Pavillion running
with Windows XP
With New Computer high end HP Pavillion, but now Windows Vista Home Premium
AVI type videos don't play as movies. I get the sound plus visual effects
just like a music file, but no picture. I have moved all codecs from the old
to the new computer, and I have enabled daily automatic updates/downloads of
codecs, as recommended on your site - with no success. The only info I'm
getting is: The file is missing media usage rights (opening properties when
playing avi in WMP)
Please advice how I can regain access to my a good part of my video files.
Is there a specific codec needed for WMP 11 or Windows Vista?
Thanks!

zachd [MSFT]

Re: AVI files don't play on Vista, can you help?

What specific video codec does the AVI file use?
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#codec

WMP will generally not download AVI codecs automatically, sorry. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.

"G'Kar" <G'Kar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Message: my video collection was playing well on my old HP Pavillion
> running
> with Windows XP
> With New Computer high end HP Pavillion, but now Windows Vista Home
> Premium
> AVI type videos don't play as movies. I get the sound plus visual effects
> just like a music file, but no picture. I have moved all codecs from the
> old
> to the new computer, and I have enabled daily automatic updates/downloads
> of
> codecs, as recommended on your site - with no success. The only info I'm
> getting is: The file is missing media usage rights (opening properties
> when
> playing avi in WMP)
> Please advice how I can regain access to my a good part of my video files.
> Is there a specific codec needed for WMP 11 or Windows Vista?
> Thanks!

Location: Southern Florida currently
Busyboy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
similar problems after update
I used to play all the media, as installed on my new laptop, but an automated update changed everything and shut me out of the option to check or uncheck the box (the box has a grey check in it indicating I can't change this feature), this happened once before and I fixed it somehow, but this time it not only changed to settings but has disabled the options and shut me out of the software that was installed for wmp when I bought the laptop, but this time I found a file and diagnostics said my activex is damged or is missing a component file....

Do you know how to un-install vista, I'm going for a clean installation, and the go to Norton and do a restore, and be very sure not to go online before I disable windows automatic upgrades that systematically rob you of software by attacking these media features. I fixed it once before but this time is different, I blocked from the option AND the only recourse now seem to be uploading other software... more memory used and money, so I ticked off and am losing daylight and $$$

What to do????

Busyboy
(thecrosbyguy @ yahoo dot com)