Camera for XP - now using Vista

Ann

Camera for XP - now using Vista
Can any techies advise? My Vivitar 4100 camera worked fine with old Windows
XP O/S. New PC operates on Vista Home Basic. Downloaded camera CD but the
system doesn't recognise. Is there any way I can still use this perfectly
good camera on my new system? Tried downloads from Vivitar site, but no
advice re updating to Vista or even if it's possible. All I want to to is
take a photo, download to PC and then use for any items I sell on ebay. Any
help pls?
--
Ann
Mike

Re: Camera for XP - now using Vista
chuck vista reload xp

"Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can any techies advise? My Vivitar 4100 camera worked fine with old
> Windows
> XP O/S. New PC operates on Vista Home Basic. Downloaded camera CD but
> the
> system doesn't recognise. Is there any way I can still use this perfectly
> good camera on my new system? Tried downloads from Vivitar site, but no
> advice re updating to Vista or even if it's possible. All I want to to is
> take a photo, download to PC and then use for any items I sell on ebay.
> Any
> help pls?
> --
> Ann

Ann

Re: Camera for XP - now using Vista
Thanks Mike (not!) I know what you are saying, and I have seen others'
problems here re Vista and photos, but surely Vista is the way forward and
therefore there must (or should) be ways around these niggling problems? Any
more useful info pls? I have navigated around the Vista homepage for
downloading pictures, but what they tell me to do doesn't work - PC just
doesn't recognise the camera when plugged in. Helllllppppp!
--
Ann

"Mike" wrote:

> chuck vista reload xp
>

> "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can any techies advise? My Vivitar 4100 camera worked fine with old
> > Windows
> > XP O/S. New PC operates on Vista Home Basic. Downloaded camera CD but
> > the
> > system doesn't recognise. Is there any way I can still use this perfectly
> > good camera on my new system? Tried downloads from Vivitar site, but no
> > advice re updating to Vista or even if it's possible. All I want to to is
> > take a photo, download to PC and then use for any items I sell on ebay.
> > Any
> > help pls?
> > --
> > Ann

John Inzer

Ann wrote:
> Can any techies advise? My Vivitar 4100 camera worked fine with old
> Windows XP O/S. New PC operates on Vista Home Basic. Downloaded
> camera CD but the system doesn't recognise. Is there any way I can
> still use this perfectly good camera on my new system? Tried
> downloads from Vivitar site, but no advice re updating to Vista or
> even if it's possible. All I want to to is take a photo, download to
> PC and then use for any items I sell on ebay. Any help pls?

======================================
A google search reveals that your Vivitar 4100 uses
an SD memory card.

Have you considered using a memory card reader?
It should be recognized as a removable disk and you
could drag/drop copy/paste your images to a folder
on your hard drive. No additional software should be
required.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Michael Walraven

Re: Camera for XP - now using Vista
Some cameras have modes for interfacing with the computer:
1. As a special device that requires its own driver and software.
2. As a 'camera' recognized by default drivers in Windows (XP - Vista)
3. As a memory device (thumb drive) recognized by Windows (XP - Vista)
If your camera cannot change mode from 1) to 3) then you will need a 'new'
Vista driver, which for an older device may not be available from the maker.
Check you manual or camera options for a way to change 'modes'.

Does the computer recognize the USB device ( du-ding sound when you plug it
in)?
Do you get any error message such as 'unknown device'?

If the camera has an removable memory card then you could purchase a multi
format card reader (make sure it works with you card!). They are cheap and
plug into USB port.

Michael
Vista Home premium

"Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can any techies advise? My Vivitar 4100 camera worked fine with old
> Windows
> XP O/S. New PC operates on Vista Home Basic. Downloaded camera CD but
> the
> system doesn't recognise. Is there any way I can still use this perfectly
> good camera on my new system? Tried downloads from Vivitar site, but no
> advice re updating to Vista or even if it's possible. All I want to to is
> take a photo, download to PC and then use for any items I sell on ebay.
> Any
> help pls?
> --
> Ann

Ann

Re: Camera for XP - now using Vista
Thanks John - I am totally PC illiterate - what is a memory card reader? If
my camera has an SD memory card, it's the first I've heard of it! In the
past I have just taken my picture, connected via USB to the PC and downloaded
it onto the PC. Could I trouble you to explain what I would need to do to
use your idea. Thanks very much.
--
Ann

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Ann wrote:
> > Can any techies advise? My Vivitar 4100 camera worked fine with old
> > Windows XP O/S. New PC operates on Vista Home Basic. Downloaded
> > camera CD but the system doesn't recognise. Is there any way I can
> > still use this perfectly good camera on my new system? Tried
> > downloads from Vivitar site, but no advice re updating to Vista or
> > even if it's possible. All I want to to is take a photo, download to
> > PC and then use for any items I sell on ebay. Any help pls?

> ======================================
> A google search reveals that your Vivitar 4100 uses
> an SD memory card.
>
> Have you considered using a memory card reader?
> It should be recognized as a removable disk and you
> could drag/drop copy/paste your images to a folder
> on your hard drive. No additional software should be
> required.
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP
>
> Digital Image
> Highlights and FAQs
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

Dave

Re: Camera for XP - now using Vista
My Olympus camera isn't automatically detected as a camera, but it works.
I connect it to the USB cable, select PC connection on the camera.
Open Windows Live Photo Gallery
File - Import from camera or scanner
it doesn't show up under cameras, it shows up as Removable Disk (M under
Other Devices.
highlight M:, click on Import
and it works just fine....

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can any techies advise? My Vivitar 4100 camera worked fine with old
> Windows
> XP O/S. New PC operates on Vista Home Basic. Downloaded camera CD but
> the
> system doesn't recognise. Is there any way I can still use this perfectly
> good camera on my new system? Tried downloads from Vivitar site, but no
> advice re updating to Vista or even if it's possible. All I want to to is
> take a photo, download to PC and then use for any items I sell on ebay.
> Any
> help pls?
> --
> Ann

John Inzer

Ann wrote:
> Thanks John - I am totally PC illiterate - what is a memory card
> reader? If my camera has an SD memory card, it's the first I've
> heard of it! In the past I have just taken my picture, connected via
> USB to the PC and downloaded it onto the PC. Could I trouble you to
> explain what I would need to do to use your idea. Thanks very much.

There are many companies that make memory card
readers in various styles. Any store that sells memory
cards should have an assortment of card readers.
Just as an example...have a look at the following link:

SanDisk ImageMate« 5-In-1 Reader/Writer
http://tinyurl.com/ysjv4j

The manual for your Vivitar 4100 states that you can
use an SD Memory card. There is a slot in the battery
compartment where you insert it. The info on pages
20 and 21 of the manual should explain where and
how to insert the card.

There is a downloadable .pdf manual for your camera
at the following link:
http://www.retrevo.com/s/Vivitar+Vivicam+4100?rt=pd

After taking pictures...you just remove the card from the
camera...insert it in the reader and copy the files to a
folder on your hard drive.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -
Digital Image MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

johan

Re: Camera for XP - now using Vista

"Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> Can any techies advise? My Vivitar 4100 camera worked fine with old
> Windows
> XP O/S. New PC operates on Vista Home Basic. Downloaded camera CD but
> the
> system doesn't recognise. Is there any way I can still use this perfectly
> good camera on my new system? Tried downloads from Vivitar site, but no
> advice re updating to Vista or even if it's possible. All I want to to is
> take a photo, download to PC and then use for any items I sell on ebay.
> Any
> help pls?
> --
> Ann

Dear Ann, it's really better to use a cardreader, it will solve all your
problems and also save battery power of your camera. They are very cheap (In
Holland you can get a card reader for 5 dollar or even together with a bale
of synth.detergent for free....).
J.

Ann

Re: Camera for XP - now using Vista
Thanks everyone, I had planned to go and get a memory card in the week - that
seemed the way to go. Then someone on another forum suggested I did
something along the lines of what Dave said above, and halfway through the
process, PhotoEditor kicked in and up came the pictures! I saved them on to
my PC and was then able to edit in PhotoExpress. Don't ask me how I did it,
I couldn't really say, and just hope I will be able to replicate the process
next time! But I will keep Dave's suggestions to hand and maybe use them if
necessary.

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful my first time on this site. I hope
I can answer questions in future, instead of being so "needy".

--
Ann