Dont shove everything else down our throats

Mikey0000

Dont shove everything else down our throats
We may buy your operating system, but that doesnt mean you are allowed to
stop us from using other peoples programs on it! When i select more than
about 50 -100 music files the main bar which has play with ... changes back
to media player! I have made all my media open with another program yet for
some reason you guys set them to auto to WMP, also that stupid file edit
bar which you can get by holding alt and by permanantly putting there wont
undo even when you deselect it from the organise drop down menu.

sorry if i annoy anybady but im just really annoyed with having these simple
things ruined for me, also the play all refuses to play all in anything but
media player - so i removed media player

thank you

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...pictures_video
Dave

Re: Dont shove everything else down our throats
You aren't likely to get a response from MS on here.

I assume you are trying to play these files from Windows Explorer?
I've tried to do what you did, and get mixed results. I set iTunes as the
default player for .mp3.
Sometimes they will play in iTunes, sometimes I get the "Play with WMP"
button, sometimes (when I highlight only 1 file) I get a pull-down box, in
which I can select what player I want.

Why don't you open the player you wish to use, and select the files from
there, or create a playlist?

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Mikey0000" <Mikey0000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We may buy your operating system, but that doesnt mean you are allowed to
> stop us from using other peoples programs on it! When i select more than
> about 50 -100 music files the main bar which has play with ... changes
> back
> to media player! I have made all my media open with another program yet
> for
> some reason you guys set them to auto to WMP, also that stupid file edit
> bar which you can get by holding alt and by permanantly putting there wont
> undo even when you deselect it from the organise drop down menu.
>
> sorry if i annoy anybady but im just really annoyed with having these
> simple
> things ruined for me, also the play all refuses to play all in anything
> but
> media player - so i removed media player
>
> thank you
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...pictures_video

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Dont shove everything else down our throats

I thought that they were using a command line handler, and that that method
couldn't handle above ... 34 files or something like that? What does Apple
say about this? They should know on which side of the fence this issue
lies. If I recall correctly, this is a limitation of them only supporting
the more archaic command line handlers as opposed to the context menu /
shellex incarnation methodologies that WMP supports.

I love you using whatever player you get a kick out of using.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Mikey0000" <Mikey0000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We may buy your operating system, but that doesnt mean you are allowed to
> stop us from using other peoples programs on it! When i select more than
> about 50 -100 music files the main bar which has play with ... changes
> back
> to media player! I have made all my media open with another program yet
> for
> some reason you guys set them to auto to WMP, also that stupid file edit
> bar which you can get by holding alt and by permanantly putting there wont
> undo even when you deselect it from the organise drop down menu.
>
> sorry if i annoy anybady but im just really annoyed with having these
> simple
> things ruined for me, also the play all refuses to play all in anything
> but
> media player - so i removed media player
>
> thank you
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...pictures_video

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Dont shove everything else down our throats

Following-up to myself:
The dialog header in question simply represents the supported default Open
With selection for the current file set. If you select more files than the
handler in question's implementation *type* is perceived to be able handle
correctly, it'll drop out of the context menu / open with selection list,
and thus that default moves on to whatever remaining implementation types
that do support handling as many files are you are trying to open.
Generically:
Single verb handlers with no drop target support will support few files.
Single verb handlers with drop target support will support a larger number
of files.
Full shell extension / context menu handlers will be able to support a much
larger selection of files.

This applies to applications generically. I don't know what specific
scenario you're trying with QuickTime (what file type?) but it sounds like
they're implementing an older style of verb / context menu handler.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb776847.aspx
is a good starting point for understanding shell associations.

--
Speaking for myself only.