Music folder is gone

razingkane

Music folder is gone
I'm using Vista Enterprise. The Music folder under c:\user\user
name\documents\ is missing. It was there at one time. The shortcut to the
music folder is available but it does not access the Music folder. If I
right click on Music from Start my options are copy, rename, properties.
Selecting properties brings up a general tab that is completely blank. I
created a folder called Music but when I install iTunes it says it cannot
find the Music folder to add an i Tunes folder. Which is how I discovered
the Music folder was missing. Even with the i Tunes folder in Music that I
created the Music General tab is still completely blank. How do I fix this?
I'd like to continue to use iTunes.
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Music folder is gone
Click Start, type "shell:My Music" and press {ENTER}

If that does not help, see:

Nothing happens when you click on a shell folder link in the Windows Vista Start menu:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...tart-menu.html

--
Regards,

"razingkane" <razingkane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A964400-6AC1-42AE-BE4F-4C4E02EFC1ED@microsoft.com...
I'm using Vista Enterprise. The Music folder under c:\user\user
name\documents\ is missing. It was there at one time. The shortcut to the
music folder is available but it does not access the Music folder. If I
right click on Music from Start my options are copy, rename, properties.
Selecting properties brings up a general tab that is completely blank. I
created a folder called Music but when I install iTunes it says it cannot
find the Music folder to add an i Tunes folder. Which is how I discovered
the Music folder was missing. Even with the i Tunes folder in Music that I
created the Music General tab is still completely blank. How do I fix this?
I'd like to continue to use iTunes.
razingkane

Re: Music folder is gone
Neither suggested fix worked. When I did a regedit the Music file was set to
a network drive which my laptop is not currently connected to. I manually
changed the settings. I also downloaded your merge program which did not
work either. I did confirm the the file is setup as you directed using the
reg_expand_sz. Right clicking on Music from Start still shows only the
General tab with no name, 0 bytes, and no dates

Any other suggestions?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Click Start, type "shell:My Music" and press {ENTER}
>
> If that does not help, see:
>
> Nothing happens when you click on a shell folder link in the Windows Vista Start menu:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...tart-menu.html
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "razingkane" <razingkane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A964400-6AC1-42AE-BE4F-4C4E02EFC1ED@microsoft.com...
> I'm using Vista Enterprise. The Music folder under c:\user\user
> name\documents\ is missing. It was there at one time. The shortcut to the
> music folder is available but it does not access the Music folder. If I
> right click on Music from Start my options are copy, rename, properties.
> Selecting properties brings up a general tab that is completely blank. I
> created a folder called Music but when I install iTunes it says it cannot
> find the Music folder to add an i Tunes folder. Which is how I discovered
> the Music folder was missing. Even with the i Tunes folder in Music that I
> created the Music General tab is still completely blank. How do I fix this?
> I'd like to continue to use iTunes.

razingkane

Re: Music folder is gone
Never mind.......

I rebooted my laptop, reinstalled i Tunes and everything is working now.
Music Start now has all the tab's and shows all the file information.

Thanks you for your help,

Rick

"razingkane" wrote:

> Neither suggested fix worked. When I did a regedit the Music file was set to
> a network drive which my laptop is not currently connected to. I manually
> changed the settings. I also downloaded your merge program which did not
> work either. I did confirm the the file is setup as you directed using the
> reg_expand_sz. Right clicking on Music from Start still shows only the
> General tab with no name, 0 bytes, and no dates
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > Click Start, type "shell:My Music" and press {ENTER}
> >
> > If that does not help, see:
> >
> > Nothing happens when you click on a shell folder link in the Windows Vista Start menu:
> > http://www.winhelponline.com/article...tart-menu.html
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> > Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> >

> > "razingkane" <razingkane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A964400-6AC1-42AE-BE4F-4C4E02EFC1ED@microsoft.com...
> > I'm using Vista Enterprise. The Music folder under c:\user\user
> > name\documents\ is missing. It was there at one time. The shortcut to the
> > music folder is available but it does not access the Music folder. If I
> > right click on Music from Start my options are copy, rename, properties.
> > Selecting properties brings up a general tab that is completely blank. I
> > created a folder called Music but when I install iTunes it says it cannot
> > find the Music folder to add an i Tunes folder. Which is how I discovered
> > the Music folder was missing. Even with the i Tunes folder in Music that I
> > created the Music General tab is still completely blank. How do I fix this?
> > I'd like to continue to use iTunes.

northerngirl

Re: Music folder is gone

I am having the same issue, Vista Home Premium 32bit.
My troubleshooting led to very odd results.

I had changed the location of the Pictures and Music folders by
right-clicking, selecting Location, and changing it to my M:\ drive. I
did not modify the folders in the navigation pane; only the folders that
display when selecting C:\Users\username\ (at least that's what I think
I did).

When I went back to the c:\user\username folder a few hours later, I
noticed that both the Music and the Pictures folders were missing.

I modified the registry settings for both Shell and UserShell to the
defaults, as per instructions I found on the web. I tried typing
Shell:My Music after pressing the Start button. Nothing brought back
those folders.

Here is where things get interesting.

1. It took about 5 reboots, but I can now see a Music folder, and it
points to c:\user\username\Music, as per my registry change. However, I
still do not have a Pictures folder.

2. The Music 'item' or 'icon' in the navigation pane (on the left)
points to my original location on the M:\ drive. There is still a
Pictures icon there which also points to my M:\ drive. Both work
perfectly.

I was trying to figure out why these two icons worked and still pointed
to my M: drive, even after I had modified the registry so that Music and
Pictures pointed to the defaults. I right-clicked on the Music icon in
the navigation pane, and noticed that it was a shortcut, whose target
was M:\Music. But when I then looked at the Details tab, I noticed that
the folder path was c:\user\username\Links. Ditto for the Pictures
icon, also in the navigation pane.

So the navigation icons are some sort of duplicate of the shortcut in
the links folder. I'll have to read up on all that business. But in the
meantime, I don't want to have to have the navigation pane open all the
time; I would like to just have my Music and Pictures folders in
c:\user\username, and I would like to have them point to my M:\ drive
without disappearing again.

Any help would be appreciated. I've already read about 10 webpages on
this, but as I said, I've made the modifications they suggest, to no
avail (for my Pictures folder, at least).

--
northerngirl
northerngirl

Re: Music folder is gone

Here is some more information...
I had created a shortcut to the c:\user\username folder on the
desktop.
When I open that shortcut, I have a music folder, a downloads folder,
but not a pictures folder. All three had been changed to point to a
different folder on another (connected) drive.

Funny thing is that if I go the source folder rather than using the
desktop shortcut (i.e., if I browse to c:\users\username\), none of the
modified folders are displayed.

Perhaps that offers a clue...?

--
northerngirl