DVD Format info please

Dave T.

DVD Format info please
Made my first movie in WMM. This is my "Classroom video", where I am
learning to use the software.

Question:

What video format would be best to burn to DVD+R for viewing on home
theater or standard DVD players? I want good quality. Opinions please.
TIA
--
Dave T.

johan

Re: DVD Format info please

"Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> schreef in bericht
news:Cpedj.33016$lD6.10348@newssvr27.news.prodigy. net...
> Made my first movie in WMM. This is my "Classroom video", where I am
> learning to use the software.
>
> Question:
>
> What video format would be best to burn to DVD+R for viewing on home
> theater or standard DVD players? I want good quality. Opinions please.
> TIA
> --
> Dave T.

Why is everybody here asking questions which you can find perfectly answered
in the Help files?
In the Helpfile of WMM there is a tabel under FAQ- filmformats which very
clearly points out that DV-AVI (NTSC) with 25MBPS is the best and ....well
look for yourself.

Dave T.

Re: DVD Format info please
johan wrote:

> "Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> schreef in bericht
> news:Cpedj.33016$lD6.10348@newssvr27.news.prodigy. net...
>> Made my first movie in WMM. This is my "Classroom video", where I am
>> learning to use the software.
>>
>> Question:
>>
>> What video format would be best to burn to DVD+R for viewing on home
>> theater or standard DVD players? I want good quality. Opinions please.
>> TIA
>> --
>> Dave T.
>>

> Why is everybody here asking questions which you can find perfectly
> answered in the Help files?
> In the Helpfile of WMM there is a tabel under FAQ- filmformats which
> very clearly points out that DV-AVI (NTSC) with 25MBPS is the best and
> ....well look for yourself.

I can read, Johan. I was looking for user opinions. Thank you oh so very
much for the kind help.

--
Dave T.
Graham Hughes

Re: DVD Format info please
DV.avi is not the best format for dvds.
dv.avi is the best format to capture video, then you need to make your dvd,
using an authoring programme, which converts the dv.avi file to mpeg2 files.
This part is where experience comes in, and cannot be answered by a quick
this is correct.

I prefer to stick to below 8,000Kbps for audio and video combined.

If you have 20 mins of video then you could use 7500Kbps video and 320Kbps
audio.
If you have 90 mins then there is no way using the above it'll fit on a SL
disc.

If you have an hour you'll get it on, 75 mins will go on if you can use AC-3
audio.

The best answer is, choose the best settings to fit it on a disc, or split
into 2 discs if quality is more important than one disc.
--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message
news5fdj.33019$lD6.22280@newssvr27.news.prodigy. net...
> johan wrote:
>>
>> "Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> schreef in bericht
>> news:Cpedj.33016$lD6.10348@newssvr27.news.prodigy. net...
>>> Made my first movie in WMM. This is my "Classroom video", where I am
>>> learning to use the software.
>>>
>>> Question:
>>>
>>> What video format would be best to burn to DVD+R for viewing on home
>>> theater or standard DVD players? I want good quality. Opinions please.
>>> TIA
>>> --
>>> Dave T.
>>>

>> Why is everybody here asking questions which you can find perfectly
>> answered in the Help files?
>> In the Helpfile of WMM there is a tabel under FAQ- filmformats which very
>> clearly points out that DV-AVI (NTSC) with 25MBPS is the best and
>> ....well look for yourself.

> I can read, Johan. I was looking for user opinions. Thank you oh so very
> much for the kind help.
>
> --
> Dave T.

Bill Condie

Re: DVD Format info please
Thank you for the post.

DVD Maker seems to convert video files. To what?

"Graham Hughes" <graham.hughes@dvds2treasure.co.uk> wrote in message
> DV.avi is not the best format for dvds.
> dv.avi is the best format to capture video, then you need to make your
> dvd, using an authoring programme, which converts the dv.avi file to mpeg2
> files.
> This part is where experience comes in, and cannot be answered by a quick
> this is correct.
>
> I prefer to stick to below 8,000Kbps for audio and video combined.
>
> If you have 20 mins of video then you could use 7500Kbps video and 320Kbps
> audio.
> If you have 90 mins then there is no way using the above it'll fit on a SL
> disc.
>
> If you have an hour you'll get it on, 75 mins will go on if you can use
> AC-3 audio.
>
> The best answer is, choose the best settings to fit it on a disc, or split
> into 2 discs if quality is more important than one disc.
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message
> news5fdj.33019$lD6.22280@newssvr27.news.prodigy. net...
>> johan wrote:
>>>
>>> "Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> schreef in bericht
>>> news:Cpedj.33016$lD6.10348@newssvr27.news.prodigy. net...

>>> Why is everybody here asking questions which you can find perfectly
>>> answered in the Help files?
>>> In the Helpfile of WMM there is a tabel under FAQ- filmformats which
>>> very clearly points out that DV-AVI (NTSC) with 25MBPS is the best and
>>> ....well look for yourself.

>> I can read, Johan. I was looking for user opinions. Thank you oh so very
>> much for the kind help.
>>
>> --
>> Dave T.

PapaJohn

Re: DVD Format info please
to the MPEG2 files that all standard DVDs require.... on the discs they have
the VOB extensions.

PapaJohn

"Bill Condie" <billcondiespam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for the post.
>
> DVD Maker seems to convert video files. To what?
>

> "Graham Hughes" <graham.hughes@dvds2treasure.co.uk> wrote in message
>> DV.avi is not the best format for dvds.
>> dv.avi is the best format to capture video, then you need to make your
>> dvd, using an authoring programme, which converts the dv.avi file to
>> mpeg2 files.
>> This part is where experience comes in, and cannot be answered by a quick
>> this is correct.
>>
>> I prefer to stick to below 8,000Kbps for audio and video combined.
>>
>> If you have 20 mins of video then you could use 7500Kbps video and
>> 320Kbps audio.
>> If you have 90 mins then there is no way using the above it'll fit on a
>> SL disc.
>>
>> If you have an hour you'll get it on, 75 mins will go on if you can use
>> AC-3 audio.
>>
>> The best answer is, choose the best settings to fit it on a disc, or
>> split into 2 discs if quality is more important than one disc.
>> --
>>
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.com
>>

>> "Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message
>> news5fdj.33019$lD6.22280@newssvr27.news.prodigy. net...

>>> I can read, Johan. I was looking for user opinions. Thank you oh so very
>>> much for the kind help.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dave T.

Bill Condie

Re: DVD Format info please
Thank you. Those files have always confused me.

"PapaJohn" <papajohn@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> to the MPEG2 files that all standard DVDs require.... on the discs they
> have the VOB extensions.
>
> --
> website references are to www.papajohn.org
>
> PapaJohn
>

> "Bill Condie" <billcondiespam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you for the post.
>>
>> DVD Maker seems to convert video files. To what?
>>

>> "Graham Hughes" <graham.hughes@dvds2treasure.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> DV.avi is not the best format for dvds.
>>> dv.avi is the best format to capture video, then you need to make your
>>> dvd, using an authoring programme, which converts the dv.avi file to
>>> mpeg2 files.
>>> This part is where experience comes in, and cannot be answered by a
>>> quick this is correct.
>>>
>>> I prefer to stick to below 8,000Kbps for audio and video combined.
>>>
>>> If you have 20 mins of video then you could use 7500Kbps video and
>>> 320Kbps audio.
>>> If you have 90 mins then there is no way using the above it'll fit on a
>>> SL disc.
>>>
>>> If you have an hour you'll get it on, 75 mins will go on if you can use
>>> AC-3 audio.
>>>
>>> The best answer is, choose the best settings to fit it on a disc, or
>>> split into 2 discs if quality is more important than one disc.
>>> --
>>>
>>> Graham Hughes
>>> MVP Digital Media
>>> www.myvideoproblems.com
>>>

>>> "Dave T." <davey@MyPlace.net> wrote in message
>>> news5fdj.33019$lD6.22280@newssvr27.news.prodigy. net...

Bill Condie

Re: DVD Format info please
Another thought: Where does dvr-ms fit in? Do I need to convert it to burn a
DVD?

> Thank you. Those files have always confused me.
>

> "PapaJohn" <papajohn@chartermi.net> wrote in message
>> to the MPEG2 files that all standard DVDs require.... on the discs they
>> have the VOB extensions.
>>
>> --
>> website references are to www.papajohn.org
>>
>> PapaJohn
>>

>> "Bill Condie" <billcondiespam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank you for the post.
>>>
>>> DVD Maker seems to convert video files. To what?

Dave T.

Re: DVD Format info please
Graham Hughes wrote:
> DV.avi is not the best format for dvds.
> dv.avi is the best format to capture video, then you need to make your dvd,
> using an authoring programme, which converts the dv.avi file to mpeg2 files.
> This part is where experience comes in, and cannot be answered by a quick
> this is correct.
>
> I prefer to stick to below 8,000Kbps for audio and video combined.
>
> If you have 20 mins of video then you could use 7500Kbps video and 320Kbps
> audio.
> If you have 90 mins then there is no way using the above it'll fit on a SL
> disc.
>
> If you have an hour you'll get it on, 75 mins will go on if you can use AC-3
> audio.
>
> The best answer is, choose the best settings to fit it on a disc, or split
> into 2 discs if quality is more important than one disc.

Graham,
Thank you for the response. Very informative. I wasn't aware of the fact
that mpeg2 is where you have to end up when you do the actual burn.
Thanks again. Much appreciated.

--
Dave T.

"Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
until they are seventy-five".
Benjamin Franklin
PapaJohn

Re: DVD Format info please
dvr-ms is similar to a wmv file in the sense that it is for computer-based
viewing, not for a stand-alone DVD player. It's one of many different file
types that play on computers.

DVD Maker and Movie Maker can use the files when making movies... but DVD
Maker would have to convert them to MPEG-2 files as it does most anything
you give it. The only files not converted to MPEG-2 when making a DVD are
those that are already MPEG-2 and in alignment with the properties of files
that can go on a video DVD.

news332C8CB-0626-4D50-8683-65331E05DB3E@microsoft.com...