No sound on .avi files

Daisyd681

No sound on .avi files
I just got a new pc with Vista Home Basic for Christmas. I have a samsung
digital camera that's barely a year old. It takes video with sound in .avi
format. Luckily the software that came with it installed fine, but when I try
to play the videos, there's no sound. I think I have the 32 bit as an attempt
to install a suggested fix gave me the error that the program was for a 64
bit. Please help, I've been lucky so far in the switch to Vista, I had heard
some pretty bad things, but when your old pc sounds like a fax modem on start
up something has to be done. TIA

Meira
zachd [MSFT]

Re: No sound on .avi files

When you play the file in Windows Media Player, you should get an error. If
you click Web Help, what codec does it say that file needs?

If this is what I'm thinking it is:
* this file will not play in most Windows components on Vista
* it would probably play in a different AVI player, such as WinAMP
* the issue should be sourced to a confusion in the data structure format
that that camera is using (they're using the PCMWAVEFORMAT structure for a
non-PCM codec). Vista SP1 should relax that restriction and allow this
content to play.

The following paragraph is educated guesswork. If you tells us what audio
codec it actually needs, that would be further illuminative. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Daisyd681" <Daisyd681@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just got a new pc with Vista Home Basic for Christmas. I have a samsung
> digital camera that's barely a year old. It takes video with sound in .avi
> format. Luckily the software that came with it installed fine, but when I
> try
> to play the videos, there's no sound. I think I have the 32 bit as an
> attempt
> to install a suggested fix gave me the error that the program was for a 64
> bit. Please help, I've been lucky so far in the switch to Vista, I had
> heard
> some pretty bad things, but when your old pc sounds like a fax modem on
> start
> up something has to be done. TIA
>
> Meira

Daisyd681

Re: No sound on .avi files
I don't get any error messages. It just plays them as if they don't have
sound. I downloaded DivX and it just gave me static for sound. So I decided
to try one that I know worked on the old pc, but the new pc doesn't want to
read CDs made by the old pc, so I need to set up the old pc again and pull
files with a jump drive before I can test that. I'll go look up WinAmp and
see if it will work. Thanks.
Meira

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> When you play the file in Windows Media Player, you should get an error. If
> you click Web Help, what codec does it say that file needs?
>
> If this is what I'm thinking it is:
> * this file will not play in most Windows components on Vista
> * it would probably play in a different AVI player, such as WinAMP
> * the issue should be sourced to a confusion in the data structure format
> that that camera is using (they're using the PCMWAVEFORMAT structure for a
> non-PCM codec). Vista SP1 should relax that restriction and allow this
> content to play.
>
> The following paragraph is educated guesswork. If you tells us what audio
> codec it actually needs, that would be further illuminative. =)
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "Daisyd681" <Daisyd681@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just got a new pc with Vista Home Basic for Christmas. I have a samsung
> > digital camera that's barely a year old. It takes video with sound in .avi
> > format. Luckily the software that came with it installed fine, but when I
> > try
> > to play the videos, there's no sound. I think I have the 32 bit as an
> > attempt
> > to install a suggested fix gave me the error that the program was for a 64
> > bit. Please help, I've been lucky so far in the switch to Vista, I had
> > heard
> > some pretty bad things, but when your old pc sounds like a fax modem on
> > start
> > up something has to be done. TIA
> >
> > Meira

Daisyd681

Re: No sound on .avi files
Since I doubt I'll be the last person with this problem, I will answer myself
here. I downloaded a media player that came highly recommended called VLC
media player. It is free and plays the sound perfectly on my videos. An added
bonus is that you can take freeze frame shots, which I have been looking for
in a picture/video program for a while.

"Daisyd681" wrote:

> I don't get any error messages. It just plays them as if they don't have
> sound. I downloaded DivX and it just gave me static for sound. So I decided
> to try one that I know worked on the old pc, but the new pc doesn't want to
> read CDs made by the old pc, so I need to set up the old pc again and pull
> files with a jump drive before I can test that. I'll go look up WinAmp and
> see if it will work. Thanks.
> Meira
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

> > When you play the file in Windows Media Player, you should get an error. If
> > you click Web Help, what codec does it say that file needs?
> >
> > If this is what I'm thinking it is:
> > * this file will not play in most Windows components on Vista
> > * it would probably play in a different AVI player, such as WinAMP
> > * the issue should be sourced to a confusion in the data structure format
> > that that camera is using (they're using the PCMWAVEFORMAT structure for a
> > non-PCM codec). Vista SP1 should relax that restriction and allow this
> > content to play.
> >
> > The following paragraph is educated guesswork. If you tells us what audio
> > codec it actually needs, that would be further illuminative. =)
> >
> > --
> > Speaking for myself only.
> > See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> > --
> >
> > "Daisyd681" <Daisyd681@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I just got a new pc with Vista Home Basic for Christmas. I have a samsung
> > > digital camera that's barely a year old. It takes video with sound in .avi
> > > format. Luckily the software that came with it installed fine, but when I
> > > try
> > > to play the videos, there's no sound. I think I have the 32 bit as an
> > > attempt
> > > to install a suggested fix gave me the error that the program was for a 64
> > > bit. Please help, I've been lucky so far in the switch to Vista, I had
> > > heard
> > > some pretty bad things, but when your old pc sounds like a fax modem on
> > > start
> > > up something has to be done. TIA
> > >
> > > Meira

zachd [MSFT]

Re: No sound on .avi files

Yeah, VLC doesn't verify the data type. Most players don't.

--

> Since I doubt I'll be the last person with this problem, I will answer
> myself
> here. I downloaded a media player that came highly recommended called VLC
> media player. It is free and plays the sound perfectly on my videos. An
> added
> bonus is that you can take freeze frame shots, which I have been looking
> for
> in a picture/video program for a while.
>
> "Daisyd681" wrote:
>
>> I don't get any error messages. It just plays them as if they don't have
>> sound. I downloaded DivX and it just gave me static for sound. So I
>> decided
>> to try one that I know worked on the old pc, but the new pc doesn't want
>> read CDs made by the old pc, so I need to set up the old pc again and
>> pull
>> files with a jump drive before I can test that. I'll go look up WinAmp
>> and
>> see if it will work. Thanks.
>> Meira
>>
>> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>>

>> > When you play the file in Windows Media Player, you should get an
>> > error. If
>> > you click Web Help, what codec does it say that file needs?
>> >
>> > If this is what I'm thinking it is:
>> > * this file will not play in most Windows components on Vista
>> > * it would probably play in a different AVI player, such as WinAMP
>> > * the issue should be sourced to a confusion in the data structure
>> > format
>> > that that camera is using (they're using the PCMWAVEFORMAT structure
>> > for a
>> > non-PCM codec). Vista SP1 should relax that restriction and allow this
>> > content to play.
>> >
>> > The following paragraph is educated guesswork. If you tells us what
>> > audio
>> > codec it actually needs, that would be further illuminative. =)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Speaking for myself only.
>> > See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
>> > rights.

jimguyer

Re: No sound on .avi files
THANK YOU! While I'd like to have WMP work properly here, I have exactly the
same problem (samsung cam, no sound on the AVIs). I've downloaded VLC and it
works for me also. Thanks again!
--Jim

"Daisyd681" wrote:

> Since I doubt I'll be the last person with this problem, I will answer myself
> here. I downloaded a media player that came highly recommended called VLC
> media player. It is free and plays the sound perfectly on my videos. An added
> bonus is that you can take freeze frame shots, which I have been looking for
> in a picture/video program for a while.
>
> "Daisyd681" wrote:
>
> > I don't get any error messages. It just plays them as if they don't have
> > sound. I downloaded DivX and it just gave me static for sound. So I decided
> > to try one that I know worked on the old pc, but the new pc doesn't want to
> > read CDs made by the old pc, so I need to set up the old pc again and pull
> > files with a jump drive before I can test that. I'll go look up WinAmp and
> > see if it will work. Thanks.
> > Meira
> >
> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >

> > > When you play the file in Windows Media Player, you should get an error. If
> > > you click Web Help, what codec does it say that file needs?
> > >
> > > If this is what I'm thinking it is:
> > > * this file will not play in most Windows components on Vista
> > > * it would probably play in a different AVI player, such as WinAMP
> > > * the issue should be sourced to a confusion in the data structure format
> > > that that camera is using (they're using the PCMWAVEFORMAT structure for a
> > > non-PCM codec). Vista SP1 should relax that restriction and allow this
> > > content to play.
> > >
> > > The following paragraph is educated guesswork. If you tells us what audio
> > > codec it actually needs, that would be further illuminative. =)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Speaking for myself only.
> > > See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: No sound on .avi files

To quote myself to ensure people understand this, although you already went
with the suggested interim solution (alternate player with alternate AVI
parser):

This AVI file is using the data structure PCMWAVEFORMAT for non-PCM WAVE
data (read: it's using a codec that it's suggesting it's not going to use).
The Vista AVI parser is going to reject this as being invalid, which is
exactly what you're seeing.

The Vista SP1 AVI parser relaxes this restriction, so the clips should play
fine on Vista SP1. They will not work in Vista RTM using the system AVI
parser. An alternate player with its own AVI parser would likely also be
able to play the file. Or you could convert the clip to use a different
codec.

This could also be fixed via a firmware update to the camera from the camera
vendor such that it does not use PCMWAVEFORMAT but rather WAVEFORMATEX.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"jimguyer" <jimguyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> THANK YOU! While I'd like to have WMP work properly here, I have exactly
> the
> same problem (samsung cam, no sound on the AVIs). I've downloaded VLC and
> it
> works for me also. Thanks again!
> --Jim
>
> "Daisyd681" wrote:
>
>> Since I doubt I'll be the last person with this problem, I will answer
>> myself
>> here. I downloaded a media player that came highly recommended called VLC
>> media player. It is free and plays the sound perfectly on my videos. An
>> added
>> bonus is that you can take freeze frame shots, which I have been looking
>> for
>> in a picture/video program for a while.
>>
>> "Daisyd681" wrote:
>>
>> > I don't get any error messages. It just plays them as if they don't
>> > have
>> > sound. I downloaded DivX and it just gave me static for sound. So I
>> > decided
>> > to try one that I know worked on the old pc, but the new pc doesn't
>> > want to
>> > read CDs made by the old pc, so I need to set up the old pc again and
>> > pull
>> > files with a jump drive before I can test that. I'll go look up WinAmp
>> > and
>> > see if it will work. Thanks.
>> > Meira

samcogar

Re: No sound on .avi files

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> When you play the file in Windows Media Player, you should get an error. If
> you click Web Help, what codec does it say that file needs?
>
> If this is what I'm thinking it is:
> * this file will not play in most Windows components on Vista
> * it would probably play in a different AVI player, such as WinAMP
> * the issue should be sourced to a confusion in the data structure format
> that that camera is using (they're using the PCMWAVEFORMAT structure for a
> non-PCM codec). Vista SP1 should relax that restriction and allow this
> content to play.
>
> The following paragraph is educated guesswork. If you tells us what audio
> codec it actually needs, that would be further illuminative. =)

Zachd, I have the same problem as Daisyd above.

Web Help stated missing codec # was: -0010-8000-00AA00389B71}

So, I would be mighty thankful if you could tell me how best to resolve it.
Either via "Vista SP1" or that "codec #", ....... I do not know how or where
to find, load execute, whatever ........ either one. The simplest method the
better.

Thanks, Sam
zachd [MSFT]

Re: No sound on .avi files

Could you point me to a file that produces this problem for you?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"samcogar" <samcogar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> When you play the file in Windows Media Player, you should get an error.
>> If
>> you click Web Help, what codec does it say that file needs?
>>
>> If this is what I'm thinking it is:
>> * this file will not play in most Windows components on Vista
>> * it would probably play in a different AVI player, such as WinAMP
>> * the issue should be sourced to a confusion in the data structure format
>> that that camera is using (they're using the PCMWAVEFORMAT structure for
>> non-PCM codec). Vista SP1 should relax that restriction and allow this
>> content to play.
>>
>> The following paragraph is educated guesswork. If you tells us what
>> audio
>> codec it actually needs, that would be further illuminative. =)

> Zachd, I have the same problem as Daisyd above.
>
> Web Help stated missing codec # was: -0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
>
> So, I would be mighty thankful if you could tell me how best to resolve
> it.
> Either via "Vista SP1" or that "codec #", ....... I do not know how or
> where
> to find, load execute, whatever ........ either one. The simplest method
> the
> better.
>
> Thanks, Sam

DevilsPGD

Re: No sound on .avi files
In message <AC3BEAE7-AAC4-4E32-8A0B-D5FE56B1C28A@microsoft.com> samcogar
<samcogar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Zachd, I have the same problem as Daisyd above.
>
>Web Help stated missing codec # was: -0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
>
>So, I would be mighty thankful if you could tell me how best to resolve it.
>Either via "Vista SP1" or that "codec #", ....... I do not know how or where
>to find, load execute, whatever ........ either one. The simplest method the
>better.

I think that's one of the "real" family. If so, Google for "Real
Alternative"

However, these don't normally have AVI extensions, using "rm" or "rv"
will be in the extension.