windows media player

ghender4

windows media player
suddenly when I go to play a dvd, I am running Vista, I get an error message
that says
-- Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your
Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then
try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings.

I have tried that, restored to the earliest I could, downloaded and checked
my decoder but same error message keeps appearing.

Can you help. Thanks in advance
geri h
zachd [MSFT]

Re: windows media player

What exact video card driver version do you have with what video card?
Is this a laptop or a desktop computer?
If it's a desktop, what cable type connects the monitor to the desktop?
According to WMP's Help:about:Technical Support Information menu dialog,
what DVD/MPEG filters are installed?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"ghender4" <ghender4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> suddenly when I go to play a dvd, I am running Vista, I get an error
> message
> that says
> -- Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust
> your
> Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then
> try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings.
>
> I have tried that, restored to the earliest I could, downloaded and
> checked
> my decoder but same error message keeps appearing.
>
> Can you help. Thanks in advance
> geri h

ghender4

Re: windows media player
Thank you for responding to answer your questions and I hope this is
correct...I have a Gateway Laptop...the card driver is Tsst corp CD/DVDW
TS-L632Dv ATA device....also what I did was uninstall my real player because
it seemed to have happened sometime after I burned some songs onto a blank cd
now when I put a Video DVD into the laptop my computer is telling me there is
no DVD there and to insert one????
--
geri h

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> What exact video card driver version do you have with what video card?
> Is this a laptop or a desktop computer?
> If it's a desktop, what cable type connects the monitor to the desktop?
> According to WMP's Help:about:Technical Support Information menu dialog,
> what DVD/MPEG filters are installed?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "ghender4" <ghender4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > suddenly when I go to play a dvd, I am running Vista, I get an error
> > message
> > that says
> > -- Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust
> > your
> > Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then
> > try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings.
> >
> > I have tried that, restored to the earliest I could, downloaded and
> > checked
> > my decoder but same error message keeps appearing.
> >
> > Can you help. Thanks in advance
> > geri h

zachd [MSFT]

Re: windows media player

OK, and on this laptop:
What exact video card driver version do you have with what video card?
According to WMP's Help:about:Technical Support Information menu dialog,
what DVD/MPEG filters are installed?

So now you're saying that the system isn't even recognizing DVDs at all?
Does it recognize CDs in that drive?

--

> Thank you for responding to answer your questions and I hope this is
> correct...I have a Gateway Laptop...the card driver is Tsst corp CD/DVDW
> TS-L632Dv ATA device....also what I did was uninstall my real player
> because
> it seemed to have happened sometime after I burned some songs onto a blank
> cd
> now when I put a Video DVD into the laptop my computer is telling me there
> is
> no DVD there and to insert one????
> --
> geri h
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> What exact video card driver version do you have with what video card?
>> Is this a laptop or a desktop computer?
>> If it's a desktop, what cable type connects the monitor to the desktop?
>> According to WMP's Help:about:Technical Support Information menu dialog,
>> what DVD/MPEG filters are installed?
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "ghender4" <ghender4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > suddenly when I go to play a dvd, I am running Vista, I get an error
>> > message
>> > that says
>> > -- Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust
>> > your
>> > Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and
>> > then
>> > try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings.
>> >
>> > I have tried that, restored to the earliest I could, downloaded and
>> > checked
>> > my decoder but same error message keeps appearing.
>> >
>> > Can you help. Thanks in advance
>> > geri h

ghender4

Re: windows media player
Again thanks for getting back so quickly the video card is Mobile Intel (R)
945GM Express Chipset Family and the driver is Intel (R) Graphics Media
Accelerator Driver for Mobile also it is back to recognizing the DVD just
getting the orginal error message of unable to play dvd adjust your
settings...
--
geri h

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> OK, and on this laptop:
> What exact video card driver version do you have with what video card?
> According to WMP's Help:about:Technical Support Information menu dialog,
> what DVD/MPEG filters are installed?
>
> So now you're saying that the system isn't even recognizing DVDs at all?
> Does it recognize CDs in that drive?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "ghender4" <ghender4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for responding to answer your questions and I hope this is
> > correct...I have a Gateway Laptop...the card driver is Tsst corp CD/DVDW
> > TS-L632Dv ATA device....also what I did was uninstall my real player
> > because
> > it seemed to have happened sometime after I burned some songs onto a blank
> > cd
> > now when I put a Video DVD into the laptop my computer is telling me there
> > is
> > no DVD there and to insert one????
> > --
> > geri h
> >

> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >

> >> What exact video card driver version do you have with what video card?
> >> Is this a laptop or a desktop computer?
> >> If it's a desktop, what cable type connects the monitor to the desktop?
> >> According to WMP's Help:about:Technical Support Information menu dialog,
> >> what DVD/MPEG filters are installed?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Speaking for myself only.
> >> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> >> rights.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: windows media player

And what's the driver version you have installed? I think Intel has been
releasing updates for that once a month or so. =\

--

> Again thanks for getting back so quickly the video card is Mobile Intel
> (R)
> 945GM Express Chipset Family and the driver is Intel (R) Graphics Media
> Accelerator Driver for Mobile also it is back to recognizing the DVD just
> getting the orginal error message of unable to play dvd adjust your
> settings...
> --
> geri h
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> OK, and on this laptop:
>> What exact video card driver version do you have with what video card?
>> According to WMP's Help:about:Technical Support Information menu dialog,
>> what DVD/MPEG filters are installed?
>>
>> So now you're saying that the system isn't even recognizing DVDs at all?
>> Does it recognize CDs in that drive?
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "ghender4" <ghender4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for responding to answer your questions and I hope this is
>> > correct...I have a Gateway Laptop...the card driver is Tsst corp
>> > CD/DVDW
>> > TS-L632Dv ATA device....also what I did was uninstall my real player
>> > because
>> > it seemed to have happened sometime after I burned some songs onto a
>> > blank
>> > cd
>> > now when I put a Video DVD into the laptop my computer is telling me
>> > there
>> > is
>> > no DVD there and to insert one????
>> > --
>> > geri h

ghender4

Re: windows media player
Sorry I haven't gotten right back to you but I was trying a few things like
updating the driver because it seems that was the next logical step and there
was a software update but no dice same thing...anyway here is the driver
verision 7.14.10.1147
when I found it I went in and clicked on driver update and it found new
software and uploaded it I also downloaded a driver decoder so I could see
what filter was being used here is what I found my decoder file name is
MPEG-2 file name msmpeg2vdec.dll version 11.0.5840.6324 there are four other
decoder vendor's downloaded but that the one I have as perferred...can't tell
u how much I appreciate the help even if I can't get it fixed I'm finding out
alot about this..Geri
--
geri h