Reinstall media player

HairyFool

Reinstall media player
When I attempt to open media player or open a media file WMP11 fails to
start, no error messages or anything in the event log. So far the only option
appears to be available is to reinstall Vista, this is ridiculous as a fix I
would rather install a third party media player.

What other options do I have?
John Inzer

Re: Reinstall media player
HairyFool wrote:
> When I attempt to open media player or open a media file WMP11 fails
> to start, no error messages or anything in the event log. So far the
> only option appears to be available is to reinstall Vista, this is
> ridiculous as a fix I would rather install a third party media player.
>
> What other options do I have?

=============================
Have you tried doing a system restore
to a time before the issue began?

Using Windows Vista
System Restore
http://tinyurl.com/2qhd77

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

HairyFool

Re: Reinstall media player
I have tried going back a little way without success but if I go back futher
I will loose items I would rather not. It appears to be a common thread the
fact that there is not a re-install option within media player yet MS does
not want to do anything about it. It would seem that the limitation of media
player 11 only being available via Windows Update on a WGA verified system
means that the program is not available as an executable to re-install the
app. It is Microsofts paranoia preventing proper support of the system

"John Inzer" wrote:

> HairyFool wrote:
> > When I attempt to open media player or open a media file WMP11 fails
> > to start, no error messages or anything in the event log. So far the
> > only option appears to be available is to reinstall Vista, this is
> > ridiculous as a fix I would rather install a third party media player.
> >
> > What other options do I have?

> =============================
> Have you tried doing a system restore
> to a time before the issue began?
>
> Using Windows Vista
> System Restore
> http://tinyurl.com/2qhd77
>

> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP
>
> Digital Image
> Highlights and FAQs
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Reinstall media player

No, it's due to how the new Vista componentization system works. WGA and/or
Windows Update have nothing to do with it. You are asking for a new feature
(reinstall of system components) that isn't currently supported, and is
known not to be supported. The feedback has been passed along, but at this
point you would need to try a different route. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.

"HairyFool" <HairyFool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have tried going back a little way without success but if I go back
>futher
> I will loose items I would rather not. It appears to be a common thread
> the
> fact that there is not a re-install option within media player yet MS does
> not want to do anything about it. It would seem that the limitation of
> media
> player 11 only being available via Windows Update on a WGA verified system
> means that the program is not available as an executable to re-install the
> app. It is Microsofts paranoia preventing proper support of the system
>
> "John Inzer" wrote:
>
>> HairyFool wrote:
>> > When I attempt to open media player or open a media file WMP11 fails
>> > to start, no error messages or anything in the event log. So far the
>> > only option appears to be available is to reinstall Vista, this is
>> > ridiculous as a fix I would rather install a third party media player.
>> >
>> > What other options do I have?

>> =============================
>> Have you tried doing a system restore
>> to a time before the issue began?
>>
>> Using Windows Vista
>> System Restore
>> http://tinyurl.com/2qhd77
>>

>> --
>>
>> John Inzer
>> MS Picture It! -
>> Digital Image MVP
>>
>> Digital Image
>> Highlights and FAQs
>> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695
>>
>> Notice
>> This is not tech support
>> I am a volunteer
>>
>> Solutions that work for
>> me may not work for you
>>
>> Proceed at your own risk

Missing Link

Re: Reinstall media player
But something as peripheral as a media player should not be so integrated
into an operating system that the O/S cannot work without it. As a network
manager most of my users have no need for a media player for the work they do
but if I were to install Vista I cannot remove it. Windows Vista Business
should be exactly that. No part of WMP should be a system component. Thank
you for passing on the feedback, Microsoft would do themselves a big favour
if they actually revealed what feedback they had and what they did about it.
At the moment most users see little evidence that Redmond are actually
listening to them unless they are a part of a large multinational business.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> No, it's due to how the new Vista componentization system works. WGA and/or
> Windows Update have nothing to do with it. You are asking for a new feature
> (reinstall of system components) that isn't currently supported, and is
> known not to be supported. The feedback has been passed along, but at this
> point you would need to try a different route. =\
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "HairyFool" <HairyFool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have tried going back a little way without success but if I go back
> >futher
> > I will loose items I would rather not. It appears to be a common thread
> > the
> > fact that there is not a re-install option within media player yet MS does
> > not want to do anything about it. It would seem that the limitation of
> > media
> > player 11 only being available via Windows Update on a WGA verified system
> > means that the program is not available as an executable to re-install the
> > app. It is Microsofts paranoia preventing proper support of the system

> >> =============================
> >> Have you tried doing a system restore
> >> to a time before the issue began?
> >>
> >> Using Windows Vista
> >> System Restore
> >> http://tinyurl.com/2qhd77
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> John Inzer
> >> MS Picture It! -
> >> Digital Image MVP
> >>
> >> Digital Image
> >> Highlights and FAQs
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/695
> >>
> >> Notice
> >> This is not tech support
> >> I am a volunteer
> >>
> >> Solutions that work for
> >> me may not work for you
> >>
> >> Proceed at your own risk

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Reinstall media player

"Missing Link" <MissingLink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> But something as peripheral as a media player should not be so integrated
> into an operating system that the O/S cannot work without it.

This is a tangent. It's not about "media player" here, the reinstall
question on hand and lack thereof is about the fundamental design of the
Vista component install system. The same limitation also faces "kernel" or
"calculator".

> As a network
> manager most of my users have no need for a media player for the work they
> do
> but if I were to install Vista I cannot remove it. Windows Vista Business
> should be exactly that.

You probably wanted Windows Vista Business N then.

There's significant overhead associated with randomly pulling out aspects of
a system. If you really want to take your system into your own hands in
such a fashion, I believe there are interesting projects such as vLite and
nLite that would allow you to scratch your itch without imposing massive
additional testing costs upon the various Microsoft teams that would be
involved in your wish list.

> No part of WMP should be a system component. Thank
> you for passing on the feedback, Microsoft would do themselves a big
> favour
> if they actually revealed what feedback they had and what they did about
> it.
> At the moment most users see little evidence that Redmond are actually
> listening to them unless they are a part of a large multinational
> business.

The magnificent scale of users and feedback makes that unwieldy at best.
You would be surprised at how many people simply send in their birthday wish
lists to feedback channels. Nothing to do with Microsoft, just a sweater
that they wanted. Establishing appropriate channels is very important,
responding in some fashion to feedback is important. I try to be a friend.

I am not going to be involved with or listen to feedback on Windows Media
Player being removable or not or part of the operating system as XX wants it
or not, sorry. I am involved on an ongoing basis on providing Compliance
related functionality, and thus these are conversations I am forbidden to be
involved with.

Thank you for your understanding and respect for my limitations in this
sphere. I will endeavor to make the Windows "N", "KN", and "Set Program
Access and Defaults" functionality work great for you.

-Zach
--
Speaking for myself only.