Relocting pictures within a folder on Vista

Perch

Relocting pictures within a folder on Vista
On XP it was easy to "drag and drop" pictures within a folder so that you
could organise the order of photos as you wished. With the caveat that if you
wanted them to stay in that order you had to rename after selecting all.

In Vista there are the standard "sort by" and "group by" options, but the
situation I want to cover is where I have downloaded various peoples pictures
of an event (and their cameras may not all have been correctly dated) and I
want to sort them in my own preferred order (not the standard options)

How do you do this?

I thought I had cracked it the other night, but cannot replicate it.

Is is posssible on Vista or only on XP
johan

Re: Relocting pictures within a folder on Vista

"Perch" <Perch@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> On XP it was easy to "drag and drop" pictures within a folder so that you
> could organise the order of photos as you wished. With the caveat that if
> you
> wanted them to stay in that order you had to rename after selecting all.
>
> In Vista there are the standard "sort by" and "group by" options, but the
> situation I want to cover is where I have downloaded various peoples
> pictures
> of an event (and their cameras may not all have been correctly dated) and
> want to sort them in my own preferred order (not the standard options)
>
> How do you do this?
>
> I thought I had cracked it the other night, but cannot replicate it.
>
> Is is posssible on Vista or only on XP

Select all files, rename, and numbers will be added automatically.

Perch

"johan" wrote:

> "Perch" <Perch@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> > On XP it was easy to "drag and drop" pictures within a folder so that you
> > could organise the order of photos as you wished. With the caveat that if
> > you
> > wanted them to stay in that order you had to rename after selecting all.
> >
> > In Vista there are the standard "sort by" and "group by" options, but the
> > situation I want to cover is where I have downloaded various peoples
> > pictures
> > of an event (and their cameras may not all have been correctly dated) and
> > want to sort them in my own preferred order (not the standard options)
> >
> > How do you do this?
> >
> > I thought I had cracked it the other night, but cannot replicate it.
> >
> > Is is posssible on Vista or only on XP

> Select all files, rename, and numbers will be added automatically.
>
> Thanks for your input Johan, but it does not answer my query.

Perhaps I was not clear enough in my description...

If I have 12 wedding photos for example numbered 1 to 12

Suppose I want no. 3 picture to be relocated between picture 7 & 8, and no.
12 picture between 5 & 6 ?

The result should be 1 2 4 5 12 6 7 3 8 9 10 11

and then to sort these numerically from Wedding 1 to Wedding 12 for example

This was easy in XP but so far impossible in Vista

If you try it yourself you will see what I mean - I hope - and then might
be able to come up with the answer

>> Thanks for your input Johan, but it does not answer my query.

> Perhaps I was not clear enough in my description...
>
> If I have 12 wedding photos for example numbered 1 to 12
>
> Suppose I want no. 3 picture to be relocated between picture 7 & 8, and
> no.
> 12 picture between 5 & 6 ?
>
> The result should be 1 2 4 5 12 6 7 3 8 9 10 11
>
> and then to sort these numerically from Wedding 1 to Wedding 12 for
> example
>
> This was easy in XP but so far impossible in Vista
>
> If you try it yourself you will see what I mean - I hope - and then might
> be able to come up with the answer

You may have noticed that it's impossible to check off sorting by name.
Apparantly something has to be changed in the register, I'll try to find the
culprit.

Perch

"johan" wrote:

> "Perch" <Perch@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> >> Thanks for your input Johan, but it does not answer my query.

> > Perhaps I was not clear enough in my description...
> >
> > If I have 12 wedding photos for example numbered 1 to 12
> >
> > Suppose I want no. 3 picture to be relocated between picture 7 & 8, and
> > no.
> > 12 picture between 5 & 6 ?
> >
> > The result should be 1 2 4 5 12 6 7 3 8 9 10 11
> >
> > and then to sort these numerically from Wedding 1 to Wedding 12 for
> > example
> >
> > This was easy in XP but so far impossible in Vista
> >
> > If you try it yourself you will see what I mean - I hope - and then might
> > be able to come up with the answer

> You may have noticed that it's impossible to check off sorting by name.
> Apparantly something has to be changed in the register, I'll try to find the
> culprit.

Thanks Johan, but try the following which seems to work, but is very
longwinded. Have a great Christmas and all the best for the New Year.
> Create a new folder in Pictures and name it B. Copy all your pictures from one folder A into the new one B,by going to folder A choose File selecting All, then going to File again and left clicking copy. Open the new folder B, place the cursor in the main text area where it says no items, right click and select paste. All the pictures from A should now be in folder B. Select the picture in the top right corner and right click - select Open File Location - you will then get a new window with all the pictures in. Left click on the picture you want to move and drag it to the new location - a vertical black line will help you locate the spot you want - continue like this with all pictures you want to move. When finished you need to highlight the top left picture, choose Edit and Select All - all pictures will then be highlighted - keep the cursor on the top left picture, right click and select Rename - in the Title Box enter e.g Wedding - all following pictures will have sequential

numbering. This should be job done - long winded but it seems to work. Is there a quicker way?? Let me know if there is.

Do Microsoft need to know of the problem so they can resolve it - if so can
somebody send it to the right department?

> Thanks Johan, but try the following which seems to work, but is very
> longwinded. Have a great Christmas and all the best for the New Year.
>> Create a new folder in Pictures and name it B. Copy all your pictures
>> from one folder A into the new one B,by going to folder A choose File
>> selecting All, then going to File again and left clicking copy. Open the
>> new folder B, place the cursor in the main text area where it says no
>> items, right click and select paste. All the pictures from A should now
>> be in folder B. Select the picture in the top right corner and right
>> click - select Open File Location - you will then get a new window with
>> all the pictures in. Left click on the picture you want to move and drag
>> it to the new location - a vertical black line will help you locate the
>> spot you want - continue like this with all pictures you want to move.
>> When finished you need to highlight the top left picture, choose Edit and
>> Select All - all pictures will then be highlighted - keep the cursor on
>> the top left picture, right click and select Rename - in the Title Box
>> enter e.g Wedding - all following pictures will have sequential

> numbering. This should be job done - long winded but it seems to work. Is
> there a quicker way?? Let me know if there is.
>
> Do Microsoft need to know of the problem so they can resolve it - if so
> can
> somebody send it to the right department?

I found it! There's no difference with XP really , but you be sure that you
also have the 'old' menu bar active (activate it with
organize>classification> check menubar)
Now click Image from this menu bar and check Details. The photo's now appear
on screen with details. NOW it is possible to drag files anyway you want.
After that >Select all and >Rename, this will give you a numbered list of
the photo's in the order that you have dragged. I hope you understand my
translation from Dutch.
Johan

Perch

"johan" wrote:

> "Perch" <Perch@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> >>

> > Thanks Johan, but try the following which seems to work, but is very
> > longwinded. Have a great Christmas and all the best for the New Year.
> >> Create a new folder in Pictures and name it B. Copy all your pictures
> >> from one folder A into the new one B,by going to folder A choose File
> >> selecting All, then going to File again and left clicking copy. Open the
> >> new folder B, place the cursor in the main text area where it says no
> >> items, right click and select paste. All the pictures from A should now
> >> be in folder B. Select the picture in the top right corner and right
> >> click - select Open File Location - you will then get a new window with
> >> all the pictures in. Left click on the picture you want to move and drag
> >> it to the new location - a vertical black line will help you locate the
> >> spot you want - continue like this with all pictures you want to move.
> >> When finished you need to highlight the top left picture, choose Edit and
> >> Select All - all pictures will then be highlighted - keep the cursor on
> >> the top left picture, right click and select Rename - in the Title Box
> >> enter e.g Wedding - all following pictures will have sequential

> > numbering. This should be job done - long winded but it seems to work. Is
> > there a quicker way?? Let me know if there is.
> >
> > Do Microsoft need to know of the problem so they can resolve it - if so
> > can
> > somebody send it to the right department?
> >

> I found it! There's no difference with XP really , but you be sure that you
> also have the 'old' menu bar active (activate it with
> organize>classification> check menubar)
> Now click Image from this menu bar and check Details. The photo's now appear
> on screen with details. NOW it is possible to drag files anyway you want.
> After that >Select all and >Rename, this will give you a numbered list of
> the photo's in the order that you have dragged. I hope you understand my
> translation from Dutch.
> Johan
>
> Thanks again. I think between us we have found a solution. I have XP on my old laptop and have just got a new laptop with Vista, so it is taking me some time to get used to the new setup.

Da