cant play win vista help demo

5string

cant play win vista help demo
when i go to:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...2ac181033.mspx
and click "watch the demo", it opens media player classic which has the msg
" cannot render the file". If i try to open the file with wmp, i get the
error msg: "the file you are attempting to play has an extension (.wmv) that
does not match the file format." when i click yes, to play the file anyway,
I get: "win med player cannot play the file. The player may not support the
file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file"
When i click "web help", it opens with a windows media player error msg
COOD1199, (sometimes 1198). I tried downloading K-Lite codec pak 3.5.7 full
but it didnt help. It did place the media player classic on my desktop. the
file i am trying to play is 011_ie7tabhome.wmv I've gone about as far with
it as i can. problem is i don't know much about codecs

need help (big time)

--
5string
zachd [MSFT]

Re: cant play win vista help demo

If you reset the file associations to WMP for WMV using the Set Program
Access and Defaults tool, does that fix this?

What's the value for
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmv
and what keys are under
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile
and
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.WMV
?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"5string" <5string@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when i go to:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...2ac181033.mspx
> and click "watch the demo", it opens media player classic which has the
> msg
> " cannot render the file". If i try to open the file with wmp, i get the
> error msg: "the file you are attempting to play has an extension (.wmv)
> that
> does not match the file format." when i click yes, to play the file
> anyway,
> I get: "win med player cannot play the file. The player may not support
> the
> file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the
> file"
> When i click "web help", it opens with a windows media player error msg
> COOD1199, (sometimes 1198). I tried downloading K-Lite codec pak 3.5.7
> full
> but it didnt help. It did place the media player classic on my desktop.
> the
> file i am trying to play is 011_ie7tabhome.wmv I've gone about as far
> with
> it as i can. problem is i don't know much about codecs
>
> need help (big time)
>
> --
> 5string

5string

Re: cant play win vista help demo
do not know how to reset file assoc. where do i find "set program acces and
defaults tool"
dont know how toaccess registry to get the values you are asking. sorry
about my limited knowledge. if you'd tell me how to locate these, i'll try to
get you some answers
--
5string

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> If you reset the file associations to WMP for WMV using the Set Program
> Access and Defaults tool, does that fix this?
>
> What's the value for
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wmv
> and what keys are under
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile
> and
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.WMV
> ?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "5string" <5string@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > when i go to:
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...2ac181033.mspx
> > and click "watch the demo", it opens media player classic which has the
> > msg
> > " cannot render the file". If i try to open the file with wmp, i get the
> > error msg: "the file you are attempting to play has an extension (.wmv)
> > that
> > does not match the file format." when i click yes, to play the file
> > anyway,
> > I get: "win med player cannot play the file. The player may not support
> > the
> > file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the
> > file"
> > When i click "web help", it opens with a windows media player error msg
> > COOD1199, (sometimes 1198). I tried downloading K-Lite codec pak 3.5.7
> > full
> > but it didnt help. It did place the media player classic on my desktop.
> > the
> > file i am trying to play is 011_ie7tabhome.wmv I've gone about as far
> > with
> > it as i can. problem is i don't know much about codecs
> >
> > need help (big time)
> >
> > --
> > 5string

zachd [MSFT]

Re: cant play win vista help demo

You can find that in the "Default Programs" on the Start Menu.