WMP cannot be activated

bostonblakie

WMP cannot be activated
The WMP that's part of my Vista operating system beomes inaccessable whenever
something I don't understand shuts it down. There doesn't seem to be an
intuitive way to correct this. Not even making it the default player. Is
there some way I can correct this? I do have a basic knowledge of my PC but
this seems over my head. I have done all the basic checks without results. I
know that an MS Office update shut it off once but I was able to correct that
and get it started again. I don't know what happened this time. thanks
--
bostonblakie
Cal Bear '66

Re: WMP cannot be activated
This may provide some insight into the problem:

Go to Control Panel (Classic view) > Problem Reports and Solutions > "View
problem history" > right click on a problem and select "View problem details" >
use the "Copy to clipboard" link in the lower left of the Details window and
paste into a reply to this thread.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"bostonblakie" <bostonblakie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The WMP that's part of my Vista operating system beomes inaccessable whenever
> something I don't understand shuts it down. There doesn't seem to be an
> intuitive way to correct this. Not even making it the default player. Is
> there some way I can correct this? I do have a basic knowledge of my PC but
> this seems over my head. I have done all the basic checks without results. I
> know that an MS Office update shut it off once but I was able to correct that
> and get it started again. I don't know what happened this time. thanks
> --
> bostonblakie

bostonblakie

Re: WMP cannot be activated
Thanks...............I've gone thru that list before for other stuff, but
nothing is telling me I have a WMP problem. No error messages, etc. It's just
stopped functioning even though all indications are that it's still there.
The last time this happened, I deduced that an Office update screwed it up,
by noting that a change had been made on the same date as the update. After
uninstalling the update it was working again. Something to do with codecs I
think. Now it has gone back to the Twilight Zone again. It must be ultra
sensitive to stuff happening in the software. Anyway, nothing that I
consciously did.
--
bostonblakie

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> This may provide some insight into the problem:
>
> Go to Control Panel (Classic view) > Problem Reports and Solutions > "View
> problem history" > right click on a problem and select "View problem details" >
> use the "Copy to clipboard" link in the lower left of the Details window and
> paste into a reply to this thread.
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "bostonblakie" <bostonblakie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The WMP that's part of my Vista operating system beomes inaccessable whenever
> > something I don't understand shuts it down. There doesn't seem to be an
> > intuitive way to correct this. Not even making it the default player. Is
> > there some way I can correct this? I do have a basic knowledge of my PC but
> > this seems over my head. I have done all the basic checks without results. I
> > know that an MS Office update shut it off once but I was able to correct that
> > and get it started again. I don't know what happened this time. thanks
> > --
> > bostonblakie

zachd [MSFT]

Re: WMP cannot be activated

Is wmplayer.exe listed in the Processes tab of Task Manager when it can't be
activated?

--
Speaking for myself only.
> Thanks...............I've gone thru that list before for other stuff, but
> nothing is telling me I have a WMP problem. No error messages, etc. It's
> just
> stopped functioning even though all indications are that it's still there.
> The last time this happened, I deduced that an Office update screwed it
> up,
> by noting that a change had been made on the same date as the update.
> After
> uninstalling the update it was working again. Something to do with codecs
> think. Now it has gone back to the Twilight Zone again. It must be ultra
> sensitive to stuff happening in the software. Anyway, nothing that I
> consciously did.
> --
> bostonblakie
>

> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> This may provide some insight into the problem:
>>
>> Go to Control Panel (Classic view) > Problem Reports and Solutions >
>> "View
>> problem history" > right click on a problem and select "View problem
>> details" >
>> use the "Copy to clipboard" link in the lower left of the Details window
>> and
>> paste into a reply to this thread.
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "bostonblakie" <bostonblakie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The WMP that's part of my Vista operating system beomes inaccessable
>> > whenever
>> > something I don't understand shuts it down. There doesn't seem to be an
>> > intuitive way to correct this. Not even making it the default player.
>> > Is
>> > there some way I can correct this? I do have a basic knowledge of my PC
>> > but
>> > this seems over my head. I have done all the basic checks without
>> > results. I
>> > know that an MS Office update shut it off once but I was able to
>> > correct that
>> > and get it started again. I don't know what happened this time. thanks
>> > --
>> > bostonblakie

bostonblakie

Re: WMP cannot be activated
Thanks for responding. Just after reading your comments I attempted to open
WMP and (magically?) it opened. Yes, it appeared in the taskbar as well.
Something is going on that I haven't been able to figure out yet. I hope that
MS will come out with a Vista service pack soon and that any WMP will be
addressed.
--
bostonblakie