Can't play .WMV files received as attachment.

Kris

Can't play .WMV files received as attachment.
Hello. Whenever I open a .WMV file received as an e-mail attachment, it does
not play properly. Only audio can be appreciated once the file is in use,
there's no video to it. I'm using WMP 11 with Windows Vista Home Premium.
Any suggestions?
Cal Bear '66

Re: Can't play .WMV files received as attachment.
Download a free little program call GSpot (use Google). It will tell your what
codec you need.

NOTE: Only download codecs as needed. Avoid "Codec Packs" at all costs. And
only download codecs from the manufacturer of the codec.

(Probably the DivX codec. Available from DivX.com.)

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Kris" <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. Whenever I open a .WMV file received as an e-mail attachment, it does
> not play properly. Only audio can be appreciated once the file is in use,
> there's no video to it. I'm using WMP 11 with Windows Vista Home Premium.
> Any suggestions?

Kris

Re: Can't play .WMV files received as attachment.
Thanks, but I don't think it's a problem with the codec, as it's a WPM-native
codec it requires to open the file. I'll check anyway.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Download a free little program call GSpot (use Google). It will tell your what
> codec you need.
>
> NOTE: Only download codecs as needed. Avoid "Codec Packs" at all costs. And
> only download codecs from the manufacturer of the codec.
>
> (Probably the DivX codec. Available from DivX.com.)
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Kris" <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello. Whenever I open a .WMV file received as an e-mail attachment, it does
> > not play properly. Only audio can be appreciated once the file is in use,
> > there's no video to it. I'm using WMP 11 with Windows Vista Home Premium.
> > Any suggestions?

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Can't play .WMV files received as attachment.

WMV specifically is limited to the Windows Media video codecs. ASF (the
superset from which WMV is drawn) could in theory contain DivX, but it'd be
strange. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> Download a free little program call GSpot (use Google). It will tell your
> what codec you need.
>
> NOTE: Only download codecs as needed. Avoid "Codec Packs" at all costs.
> And only download codecs from the manufacturer of the codec.
>
> (Probably the DivX codec. Available from DivX.com.)
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Kris" <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello. Whenever I open a .WMV file received as an e-mail attachment, it
>> does
>> not play properly. Only audio can be appreciated once the file is in
>> use,
>> there's no video to it. I'm using WMP 11 with Windows Vista Home
>> Premium.
>> Any suggestions?

Cal Bear '66

Re: Can't play .WMV files received as attachment.
Good to know. I was not aware of that.

Thank you for the useful information.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> WMV specifically is limited to the Windows Media video codecs. ASF (the
> superset from which WMV is drawn) could in theory contain DivX, but it'd be
> strange. =)
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
>> Download a free little program call GSpot (use Google). It will tell your
>> what codec you need.
>>
>> NOTE: Only download codecs as needed. Avoid "Codec Packs" at all costs. And
>> only download codecs from the manufacturer of the codec.
>>
>> (Probably the DivX codec. Available from DivX.com.)
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Kris" <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello. Whenever I open a .WMV file received as an e-mail attachment, it
>>> does
>>> not play properly. Only audio can be appreciated once the file is in use,
>>> there's no video to it. I'm using WMP 11 with Windows Vista Home Premium.
>>> Any suggestions?

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Can't play .WMV files received as attachment.

Have you checked for updates to your video card driver?

--
Speaking for myself only.