Sound / Audio Problem

Berny

Sound / Audio Problem
In September 2007, I baught a Asus W5Fe with OS WIndows Vista Biz. 32bit.
After 2 weeks of normal use, sound disapeared with no apparent reason and a
RED light appeared in the audio outlet (headset or external speakers). Since
then no sound. My audio driver is Realtek High Definition Audio. I contacted
Asus Technical Support and did whatever they advised me to do but nothing
worked. I dis-installed the audio driver and reinstlled it; checked for
updates ... I even used the recovery DVD and thereby re-installed all C drive
.... still no sound and a RED light coming ourt from the headset audio outlet.
Eventually Asus suggested me to send back my computer to them ... I am not
convinced and would like to try a slution locally without sending the
computer abroad (I am living in Ethiopia, heading to Sudan).
Audio driver: 6.0.1.5374
DirectX Version: 10.0
Controller: High Definition Audio
Audio Codec: ALC 660
Operating System: Windows Vista Biz. 32bit

Any advise or solution for this problem?

--
Bernard Matagne
Asus W5Fe - Windows Vista BIZ. 32
voian

RE: Sound / Audio Problem

I have the exact same problem and was wondering if/how you got it sorted,
windows seems to think everything is fine but theres no sound from speakers
or headphones etc. nothing is muted, i`ve tried a restore to a previous date
when things worked and still nothing...... the red light issue is apparently
a digital or optical out thing and is turned off by muting the device but
this still doesnt return my sound to normal. any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Berny

RE: Sound / Audio Problem
Dear "voian",
I was hoping for some solution from your message but i see you are stuk like
me. No solution from my side yet. I intend to wait for Vista to clean their
multiple bugs ... and for their updates. May be that one day I will be abl to
use my computer normally again. I am not very optimistic but in the worst
case I will return my computer to the retailer (I have a 3 years global
warranty) if not solution is found in the meantime.

Sorry that I do not have a solution for you. Let us keep in touch in case
one of us finds a way out of this situation.
Take care,

Bernard
--

"voian" wrote:

> I have the exact same problem and was wondering if/how you got it sorted,
> windows seems to think everything is fine but theres no sound from speakers
> or headphones etc. nothing is muted, i`ve tried a restore to a previous date
> when things worked and still nothing...... the red light issue is apparently
> a digital or optical out thing and is turned off by muting the device but
> this still doesnt return my sound to normal. any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

voian

RE: Sound / Audio Problem
Hi Berny,
Like I say I have the exact same setup as you, in desperation I tried a full
system restore (back to factory settings) by resetting the computer and
pressing F9 every second until the windows Biz reformat screen comes up,
still it wasnt fixed. As a last resort I returned my asus under warranty last
week. I phoned for a progress report yesterday and was told it is awaiting
parts so I can only assume it is a hardware fault which us mere mortals
cannot fix.
I hope this helps as it is a real pain.
Cheers, Ian.

"Berny" wrote:

> Dear "voian",
> I was hoping for some solution from your message but i see you are stuk like
> me. No solution from my side yet. I intend to wait for Vista to clean their
> multiple bugs ... and for their updates. May be that one day I will be abl to
> use my computer normally again. I am not very optimistic but in the worst
> case I will return my computer to the retailer (I have a 3 years global
> warranty) if not solution is found in the meantime.
>
> Sorry that I do not have a solution for you. Let us keep in touch in case
> one of us finds a way out of this situation.
> Take care,
>
> Bernard
> --
> Bernard Matagne
> Asus W5Fe - Windows Vista BIZ. 32
> :-)
>

> "voian" wrote:
>

> > I have the exact same problem and was wondering if/how you got it sorted,
> > windows seems to think everything is fine but theres no sound from speakers
> > or headphones etc. nothing is muted, i`ve tried a restore to a previous date
> > when things worked and still nothing...... the red light issue is apparently
> > a digital or optical out thing and is turned off by muting the device but
> > this still doesnt return my sound to normal. any help would be greatly
> > appreciated.

Berny

RE: Sound / Audio Problem
Thank you Ian for your feedback. Would you write me the results of the
repair? Could you ask them what exactly happened? That might help me in case
I also return my computer; I could quote you (or rather, the one who repaired
your computer) to help my retailer or Asus find the best solution ...

Thanks in advance and wish you will find a well working computer very soon.
Bernard