Photo Downloader with Vista/Photoshop/Picasa

=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

Photo Downloader with Vista/Photoshop/Picasa
Sorry but I had this posted in the wrong area and was directed here;

I need help desparately,

I just bought an Acer Aspire 9410 laptop with a dual-core processor and 2 GB
memory and Windows Vista installed.

I attach my Canon 30D as usual and PhotoShop Elements 5.0 (PSE5) shows the
camera but states "No Valid Files" under the box.

I then took some quick RAW and a JPG photos and it Downloaded the JPG in
seconds but ignored the RAW file.

I then "moved" the Files (RAW & JPG) to a desktop folder and PSE5 recognized
all of them and uploaded them into the PSE5 program.

I then tried a DVD with 200+ RAW files from a shoot and PSE5 again uploaded
them from the disk with no problem. I can view the thumbnails and the photos
in the organizer as usual.

I then went to my desktop and uploaded the photos from the camera directly
into PSE5. The desktop is running Windows XP so I am led to believe that this
is a PSE5/Vista compatibility problem.

Now an additional problem is that the .CR2 files that have been uploaded
from the disk and into PSE5 have problems opening.

When I try to open the .CR2 files into the editor, I get a message that
states "Camera Raw requires a minimum display resolution of 1024 pixels wide
and 768 pixels high. Your display is set to a lower resolution. Continue
anyway?" My resolution is set to 1440 X 900. I have also tried all of the
other resolutions offered and still get the same message.

I have updated both Vista and PSE5 with the latest updates and I have
installed the most recent ACR plugin.

As a check, I also tried to upload to Picasa2 and all it did was recognize
the camera but never download. Again this seems to be a Vista compatiblity
problem. Picasa is also up to date as of today. (February 27, 2007)

Thanks for any help on this

=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

RE: Photo Downloader with Vista/Photoshop/Picasa
I got part of my problem solved. I handled the part where the
computer wasn't reading my resolution by changing the .EXE properties
section of each executable file in the PSE5 program. I am still
working on the download from the camera problem.

dazzlin from the VistaBabble.com website offered the following for
when you have software problems in Vista;

This was mentioned in other threads, but I thought it was useful
enough to make a thread of its own. If you are having a problem with a
piece of software working in Windows Vista, try the following before
pulling your hair out, or throwing your computer against the wall.

1. Right-click on the program's .exe file and choose Properties
2. Click on the Compatibility tab.
3. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode
for" Windows XP

(You'll notice it also has a box that can be checked to run the
program in Administrator mode. That may also solve a problem or two).

Barry

Re: Photo Downloader with Vista/Photoshop/Picasa
Jim..

I have a new Sony VGN-AR320E laptop with similar specs as yours. I use a
Canon 20D and Adobe Photoshop CS2. I've had no problems except:

When I try to open a large .jpg image in Vista MS Photo Editor (the default
in Vista) it would not open any .jpg image file that was larger than about
3-4mb. I would get an error message similar to the one you mentioned. I
changed the default on images to PS CS2, which solved the problem...but why,
when Vista is supposed to be an upgrade, does MS Photo Editor have a limit
on file size? I could open large image files with MS Photo Editor in
Windows XP. Do I need to tell MS Photo Editor to run in XP? If so, that
makes no sense to me...as this computer came with the software installed. I
talked to my local computer shop and they said that my problem with MS Photo
Editor in Vista was not unusual. Any suggestions????

Barry

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry but I had this posted in the wrong area and was directed here;
>
> I need help desparately,
>
> I just bought an Acer Aspire 9410 laptop with a dual-core processor and 2
> GB
> memory and Windows Vista installed.
>
> I attach my Canon 30D as usual and PhotoShop Elements 5.0 (PSE5) shows the
> camera but states "No Valid Files" under the box.
>
> I then took some quick RAW and a JPG photos and it Downloaded the JPG in
> seconds but ignored the RAW file.
>
> I then "moved" the Files (RAW & JPG) to a desktop folder and PSE5
> recognized
> all of them and uploaded them into the PSE5 program.
>
> I then tried a DVD with 200+ RAW files from a shoot and PSE5 again
> uploaded
> them from the disk with no problem. I can view the thumbnails and the
> photos
> in the organizer as usual.
>
> I then went to my desktop and uploaded the photos from the camera directly
> into PSE5. The desktop is running Windows XP so I am led to believe that
> this
> is a PSE5/Vista compatibility problem.
>
> Now an additional problem is that the .CR2 files that have been uploaded
> from the disk and into PSE5 have problems opening.
>
> When I try to open the .CR2 files into the editor, I get a message that
> states "Camera Raw requires a minimum display resolution of 1024 pixels
> wide
> and 768 pixels high. Your display is set to a lower resolution. Continue
> anyway?" My resolution is set to 1440 X 900. I have also tried all of the
> other resolutions offered and still get the same message.
>
> I have updated both Vista and PSE5 with the latest updates and I have
> installed the most recent ACR plugin.
>
> As a check, I also tried to upload to Picasa2 and all it did was recognize
> the camera but never download. Again this seems to be a Vista compatiblity
> problem. Picasa is also up to date as of today. (February 27, 2007)
>
> Thanks for any help on this

=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

Re: Photo Downloader with Vista/Photoshop/Picasa
Barry,

In order to get my files to open I had to go to the properties section of
the .EXE files and set them to run in XP. I don't like it but as a working
photog I needed the program to work. I am only using Vista because it came
with the computer. I am about to do a low level format and load XP just to
ease my pain.

I still can't get the downloader to recognize the RAW files and I am about
at the end of my rope with this.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help