Damaged Pictures

=?Utf-8?B?YnJpYW4=?=

Damaged Pictures
I'm using Vista (x86) Ultimate Edition and Vista (x64) Ultimate Edition on
two seperate computers. A large number of my pictures that were fine under
XP are unreadable. I get the following message from Vista:

Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video. The file appears to be
damaged or currupt.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Geoff Coupe

Re: Damaged Pictures
Brian, it could be that some of your image files have metadata (e.g. EXIF,
IPTC, or XMP) associated with them. Some metadata editors appear to produce
results that the WIC (Windows Imaging Component) used in Vista doesn't like.
I've had a similar problem with Microsoft's Photo Info (see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...photoinfo.mspx)
add-in, and Microsoft warn about incompatibilities with certain CODECs in
the FAQ for this tool (see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...toinfofaq.mspx )
..

Geoff Coupe

HEMI-Powered

Re: Damaged Pictures
Today, Geoff Coupe made these interesting comments ...

> Brian, it could be that some of your image files have metadata
> (e.g. EXIF, IPTC, or XMP) associated with them. Some metadata
> editors appear to produce results that the WIC (Windows
> Imaging Component) used in Vista doesn't like. I've had a
> similar problem with Microsoft's Photo Info (see
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...hotography/pro
> photo/photoinfo.mspx) add-in, and Microsoft warn about
> incompatibilities with certain CODECs in the FAQ for this tool
> (see
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...hotography/pro
> photo/photoinfofaq.mspx ) .

Very interesting. EXIF and other metadata standards are well-known,
as are manufacturer changes to the standard, so anyone writing
software that promises to open and process these files should
provide full support. The fact that Vista and its associated MS
apps do not isn't a surprise, but it pains me - and makes me far
less likely to upgrade - if I have to play games to get it to do
what it should right out of the box, and not (possibly) endanger
previously created files that had no issues under a previous O/S
version. Early adopter experiences like this are of value to us who
do not want to beta test with our Visa cards.

--
HP, aka Jerry
=?Utf-8?B?YnJpYW4=?=

Re: Damaged Pictures
Thanks for your help. I looked into it a little more and have a little more
information.

The photos are now unreadable on non-vista computers.

Also, they are just JPEGs, and bitmaps, so I don't believe the metadata
applies.

Its possible this isn't Vistas fault. I copied working pictures to an
externalhard drive to back them up before upgrading to Vista. I know they
worked before copying. After the installation, I moved the files from the
external hard drive to the upgraded machine. Perhaps, something happened
during the copy/move process? I still suspect it was Vista, but I can't
prove it.

"HEMI-Powered" wrote:

> Today, Geoff Coupe made these interesting comments ...
>
> > Brian, it could be that some of your image files have metadata
> > (e.g. EXIF, IPTC, or XMP) associated with them. Some metadata
> > editors appear to produce results that the WIC (Windows
> > Imaging Component) used in Vista doesn't like. I've had a
> > similar problem with Microsoft's Photo Info (see
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...hotography/pro
> > photo/photoinfo.mspx) add-in, and Microsoft warn about
> > incompatibilities with certain CODECs in the FAQ for this tool
> > (see
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...hotography/pro
> > photo/photoinfofaq.mspx ) .
> >

> Very interesting. EXIF and other metadata standards are well-known,
> as are manufacturer changes to the standard, so anyone writing
> software that promises to open and process these files should
> provide full support. The fact that Vista and its associated MS
> apps do not isn't a surprise, but it pains me - and makes me far
> less likely to upgrade - if I have to play games to get it to do
> what it should right out of the box, and not (possibly) endanger
> previously created files that had no issues under a previous O/S
> version. Early adopter experiences like this are of value to us who
> do not want to beta test with our Visa cards.
>
> --
> HP, aka Jerry

Geoff Coupe

Re: Damaged Pictures

"brian" <brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your help. I looked into it a little more and have a little
> more
> information.
>
> The photos are now unreadable on non-vista computers.
>
> Also, they are just JPEGs, and bitmaps, so I don't believe the metadata
> applies.

Well, bitmaps may not have metadata embedded, but JPEGs certainly can.
See here for my concerns about Vista and Photo Info's possible shortcomings:
http://tinyurl.com/3xqr88

It may well be that you have been hit by simple corruption of data. But then
again...

Geoff Coupe

Geoff Coupe

Re: Damaged Pictures
BTW, does Vista give you an error number along with the error message? If
so, would it happen to be Error 0x88982F63, by any chance?

Geoff Coupe

HEMI-Powered

Re: Damaged Pictures
Today, =?Utf-8?B?YnJpYW4=?= made these interesting comments ...

> Thanks for your help. I looked into it a little more and
> have a little more information.
>
> The photos are now unreadable on non-vista computers.

I don't understand this statement. Did you save them with
something on Vista? I assume you have a non-corrupt backup and
did not overwrite a known usable file or a bunch of them only to
discover that not only is EXIF gone but so are your pictures.

I back up my date 7 ways from Sunday and would never even think
about trying my apps on production data with a brand new and
unknown O/S. But, if the whole thing blew down, I could like get
my data back from a USB external HD or from optical.

> Also, they are just JPEGs, and bitmaps, so I don't believe the
> metadata applies.

Most graphics file formats do not support EXIF. JPEG is the most
popular one that does. I don't understand what you mean by
bitmaps, they all are. Do you mean BMP or TIFF of PNG or what?

> Its possible this isn't Vistas fault. I copied working
> pictures to an externalhard drive to back them up before
> upgrading to Vista. I know they worked before copying. After
> the installation, I moved the files from the external hard
> drive to the upgraded machine. Perhaps, something happened
> during the copy/move process? I still suspect it was Vista,
> but I can't prove it.

It literally only takes one or two bits in the entire millions of
bytes of a large image file to render it unsusable in the usual
sense, but if you know they worked on your external, and it did
not fail, I do not understand what could have happened to them.
Have you attached your external to somebody else's PC and tried
to read them? How many are you talking about 5 or 10 or 100 gig
worth?

--
HP, aka Jerry
Barry

Re: Damaged Pictures
I do a lot of digital photography and have well over 300GB of photos on an
external drive and about 30GB or more on my primary hard drive. I have been
unable to open many of my photos and it appears to me to be tied to file
size, although I've not done an "in-depth survey" of photos. However, when
I try to open files 3-4 mb in size or larger, I get an error message that
says it can't read the file. I can, however, open the same photos with
Adobe PSCS2, which I have now designated as my default program (even though
it takes longer to open). I have noticed problems within the new Windows
Contact program in terms of pasting in photos on the contacts. The top half
of the photo is faded and the picture quality poor, regardless of the
resampled file size. I'll be doing some more checking to identify the
common thread among those photos that Vista won't open with their Windows
Photo Editor..but at this time, I think it's file size. This problem has
been reported time and again at our local computer shop.

Barry

"brian" <brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your help. I looked into it a little more and have a little
> more
> information.
>
> The photos are now unreadable on non-vista computers.
>
> Also, they are just JPEGs, and bitmaps, so I don't believe the metadata
> applies.
>
> Its possible this isn't Vistas fault. I copied working pictures to an
> externalhard drive to back them up before upgrading to Vista. I know they
> worked before copying. After the installation, I moved the files from the
> external hard drive to the upgraded machine. Perhaps, something happened
> during the copy/move process? I still suspect it was Vista, but I can't
> prove it.
>

> "HEMI-Powered" wrote:
>
>> Today, Geoff Coupe made these interesting comments ...
>>
>> > Brian, it could be that some of your image files have metadata
>> > (e.g. EXIF, IPTC, or XMP) associated with them. Some metadata
>> > editors appear to produce results that the WIC (Windows
>> > Imaging Component) used in Vista doesn't like. I've had a
>> > similar problem with Microsoft's Photo Info (see
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...hotography/pro
>> > photo/photoinfo.mspx) add-in, and Microsoft warn about
>> > incompatibilities with certain CODECs in the FAQ for this tool
>> > (see
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...hotography/pro
>> > photo/photoinfofaq.mspx ) .
>> >

>> Very interesting. EXIF and other metadata standards are well-known,
>> as are manufacturer changes to the standard, so anyone writing
>> software that promises to open and process these files should
>> provide full support. The fact that Vista and its associated MS
>> apps do not isn't a surprise, but it pains me - and makes me far
>> less likely to upgrade - if I have to play games to get it to do
>> what it should right out of the box, and not (possibly) endanger
>> previously created files that had no issues under a previous O/S
>> version. Early adopter experiences like this are of value to us who
>> do not want to beta test with our Visa cards.
>>
>> --
>> HP, aka Jerry

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iREQ=?=

Re: Damaged Pictures
I copied all my photo's to a DVD and then copied from that to my new PC
w/Vista. None of my old pictures will open in Photo Editor, or Paint, or
IrfanView. I get the following error:
"Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video. This file format is not
supported, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Gallery."

BTW, my music and text files that were copied open OK, but my Excel & Word
files do not.