How do I install Urge?

=?Utf-8?B?amdyZng=?=

How do I install Urge?
I'm running into an interesting problem. I'm trying to set up Urge from
within WMP. So I select it from the menu. It's not installed so it starts
downloading the file and then begins installing. Problem... Urge pops up with
an error saying Windows Media Player must be closed to install Urge. Yet it's
being installed by WMP. Needless to say, if you close WMP you can't finish
the install of Urge. Who is the genius behind this snafu? How can I get Urge
installed?
zachd [MSFT]

Re: How do I install Urge?

That should be an advisory. The install is not being done directly by WMP,
so shutting down WMP should no effect upon the install process.

Could you clarify?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"jgrfx" <jgrfx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running into an interesting problem. I'm trying to set up Urge from
> within WMP. So I select it from the menu. It's not installed so it starts
> downloading the file and then begins installing. Problem... Urge pops up
> with
> an error saying Windows Media Player must be closed to install Urge. Yet
> it's
> being installed by WMP. Needless to say, if you close WMP you can't finish
> the install of Urge. Who is the genius behind this snafu? How can I get
> Urge
> installed?

=?Utf-8?B?amdyZng=?=

Re: How do I install Urge?
There is a window titled "Windows Media Player" that shows the installation
process.

I open WMP. I click on Urge. It's not installed, so a new window pops up
(titled "Windows Media Player". This window shows that it is downloading
Urge, and then says installing. This window is open the whole time, as is the
WMP main window behind it.

After the file is downloaded, it begins to install and a message comes up
saying WMP needs to be closed to continue. So if I close both WMP windows,
the install does not complete and I get a message saying Urge could not be
installed.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> That should be an advisory. The install is not being done directly by WMP,
> so shutting down WMP should no effect upon the install process.
>
> Could you clarify?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "jgrfx" <jgrfx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running into an interesting problem. I'm trying to set up Urge from
> > within WMP. So I select it from the menu. It's not installed so it starts
> > downloading the file and then begins installing. Problem... Urge pops up
> > with
> > an error saying Windows Media Player must be closed to install Urge. Yet
> > it's
> > being installed by WMP. Needless to say, if you close WMP you can't finish
> > the install of Urge. Who is the genius behind this snafu? How can I get
> > Urge
> > installed?

zachd [MSFT]

Re: How do I install Urge?

Can you close just the background "Windows Media Player" player application?
You should not touch the installation application.

I don't believe it really matters if you shut it down or not...

You can also go directly to the MTV / Urge site and install it from there...

--

> There is a window titled "Windows Media Player" that shows the
> installation
> process.
>
> I open WMP. I click on Urge. It's not installed, so a new window pops up
> (titled "Windows Media Player". This window shows that it is downloading
> Urge, and then says installing. This window is open the whole time, as is
> the
> WMP main window behind it.
>
> After the file is downloaded, it begins to install and a message comes up
> saying WMP needs to be closed to continue. So if I close both WMP windows,
> the install does not complete and I get a message saying Urge could not be
> installed.
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> That should be an advisory. The install is not being done directly by
>> WMP,
>> so shutting down WMP should no effect upon the install process.
>>
>> Could you clarify?
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "jgrfx" <jgrfx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm running into an interesting problem. I'm trying to set up Urge from
>> > within WMP. So I select it from the menu. It's not installed so it
>> > starts
>> > downloading the file and then begins installing. Problem... Urge pops
>> > up
>> > with
>> > an error saying Windows Media Player must be closed to install Urge.
>> > Yet
>> > it's
>> > being installed by WMP. Needless to say, if you close WMP you can't
>> > finish
>> > the install of Urge. Who is the genius behind this snafu? How can I get
>> > Urge
>> > installed?

=?Utf-8?B?amdyZng=?=

Re: How do I install Urge?
If I attempt to close WMP in the background I get a popup box to force close
the program or wait for it to respond. Once it's closed it makes no
difference, the error still pops up.

The install on Urge's site does not work under Vista. There's an error
generated during the installation that it cannot create a desktop icon so it
fails to complete. Likely this is an Installshield bug having to do with
Vista's UAC.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> Can you close just the background "Windows Media Player" player application?
> You should not touch the installation application.
>
> I don't believe it really matters if you shut it down or not...
>
> You can also go directly to the MTV / Urge site and install it from there...

zachd [MSFT]

Re: How do I install Urge?

Shut that all down.

Run:
"%programfiles%\windows media player\setup_wm.exe" /DownloadService:MTVN
(case-sensitive) from a Start:Run prompt.

If you're still having problems shutting down WMP, something is keeping WMP
open and you would need to fix that before you can proceed.

--

> If I attempt to close WMP in the background I get a popup box to force
> close
> the program or wait for it to respond. Once it's closed it makes no
> difference, the error still pops up.
>
> The install on Urge's site does not work under Vista. There's an error
> generated during the installation that it cannot create a desktop icon so
> it
> fails to complete. Likely this is an Installshield bug having to do with
> Vista's UAC.
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> Can you close just the background "Windows Media Player" player
>> application?
>> You should not touch the installation application.
>>
>> I don't believe it really matters if you shut it down or not...
>>
>> You can also go directly to the MTV / Urge site and install it from
>> there...

=?Utf-8?B?amdyZng=?=

Re: How do I install Urge?
I did not get an error about WMP being open, but it still fails to install...
I entered the command line in the run window. This brings up a window titled
"Windows Media Player 11". The heading on the page says Download Online Store
Software and has the URGE logo. I accept the user agreement. It then says
"Downloading... Please wait while Setup downloads files to your computer." It
gets through this part of the process. When the download finishes, I get a
"Security Warning" window asking me if I want to run the software. I hit run.
I then get a UAC window asking me if I want to run UrgeSetup. The screen on
the WMP window now says installing and at 95%, it fails and says "It was not
possible to complete URGE Setup". Then continues to say "URGE was not
installed. To add this store to Windows Media Player, run URGE Setup again."
Of course I can't run it again since it won't install. This PC was pre-loaded
with Vista Home Premium. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> Shut that all down.
>
> Run:
> "%programfiles%\windows media player\setup_wm.exe" /DownloadService:MTVN
> (case-sensitive) from a Start:Run prompt.
>
> If you're still having problems shutting down WMP, something is keeping WMP
> open and you would need to fix that before you can proceed.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "jgrfx" <jgrfx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If I attempt to close WMP in the background I get a popup box to force
> > close
> > the program or wait for it to respond. Once it's closed it makes no
> > difference, the error still pops up.
> >
> > The install on Urge's site does not work under Vista. There's an error
> > generated during the installation that it cannot create a desktop icon so
> > it
> > fails to complete. Likely this is an Installshield bug having to do with
> > Vista's UAC.
> >

> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >

> >> Can you close just the background "Windows Media Player" player
> >> application?
> >> You should not touch the installation application.
> >>
> >> I don't believe it really matters if you shut it down or not...
> >>
> >> You can also go directly to the MTV / Urge site and install it from
> >> there...

zachd [MSFT]

Re: How do I install Urge?

This really sounds like something you would want to follow up on with Urge
support then, since they wrote the Urge install.

The WMP framework logs the result from that setup attempt to
%temp%\wmsetup.log , but since it's presumably a failure within Urge proper,
that is something that the Urge team would know more about.

--

>I did not get an error about WMP being open, but it still fails to
>install...
> I entered the command line in the run window. This brings up a window
> titled
> "Windows Media Player 11". The heading on the page says Download Online
> Store
> Software and has the URGE logo. I accept the user agreement. It then says
> "Downloading... Please wait while Setup downloads files to your computer."
> It
> gets through this part of the process. When the download finishes, I get a
> "Security Warning" window asking me if I want to run the software. I hit
> run.
> I then get a UAC window asking me if I want to run UrgeSetup. The screen
> on
> the WMP window now says installing and at 95%, it fails and says "It was
> not
> possible to complete URGE Setup". Then continues to say "URGE was not
> installed. To add this store to Windows Media Player, run URGE Setup
> again."
> Of course I can't run it again since it won't install. This PC was
> pre-loaded
> with Vista Home Premium. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary.
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> Shut that all down.
>>
>> Run:
>> "%programfiles%\windows media player\setup_wm.exe"
>> /DownloadService:MTVN
>> (case-sensitive) from a Start:Run prompt.
>>
>> If you're still having problems shutting down WMP, something is keeping
>> WMP
>> open and you would need to fix that before you can proceed.
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "jgrfx" <jgrfx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > If I attempt to close WMP in the background I get a popup box to force
>> > close
>> > the program or wait for it to respond. Once it's closed it makes no
>> > difference, the error still pops up.
>> >
>> > The install on Urge's site does not work under Vista. There's an error
>> > generated during the installation that it cannot create a desktop icon
>> > so
>> > it
>> > fails to complete. Likely this is an Installshield bug having to do
>> > with
>> > Vista's UAC.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: How do I install Urge?

Further information as to debugging through this type of error:
===
Does HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Subscriptions\MTVN,
SubscriptionObjectGUID exist? If not, uninstalling and reinstalling Urge
should fix this.

Does HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, CLSID\{847AE63A-D988-43EC-B1DE-467079194D7E}exist?
That should point to the current Urge plug-in.

If it's a failure that WMP setup would know about, the failure would be
logged in the wmsetup.log - in the %temp% directory on Vista, or the
%windir% directory on XP.

If it's a failure in Urge, there may be an indication in the Urge log. To
get that, first turn on Urge logging:
===
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\Installer]
"Logging"="voicewarmup"
===
Then install Urge. Their log will then be located under %temp% - the
filename is randomly generated and is the most recent MSI*.log file.

There may or may not be helpful information there. Most problems within the
Urge installer appear to be caused by a removable drive/folder being
"needed" by the installer. So a bogus location reference within the
installer log can be very revealing.

Anyways, I don't know if that helps anyone, but --- there you go.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> This really sounds like something you would want to follow up on with Urge
> support then, since they wrote the Urge install.
>
> The WMP framework logs the result from that setup attempt to
> %temp%\wmsetup.log , but since it's presumably a failure within Urge
> proper, that is something that the Urge team would know more about.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
>
> "jgrfx" <jgrfx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I did not get an error about WMP being open, but it still fails to
>>install...
>> I entered the command line in the run window. This brings up a window
>> titled
>> "Windows Media Player 11". The heading on the page says Download Online
>> Store
>> Software and has the URGE logo. I accept the user agreement. It then says
>> "Downloading... Please wait while Setup downloads files to your
>> computer." It
>> gets through this part of the process. When the download finishes, I get
>> "Security Warning" window asking me if I want to run the software. I hit
>> run.
>> I then get a UAC window asking me if I want to run UrgeSetup. The screen
>> on
>> the WMP window now says installing and at 95%, it fails and says "It was
>> not
>> possible to complete URGE Setup". Then continues to say "URGE was not
>> installed. To add this store to Windows Media Player, run URGE Setup
>> again."
>> Of course I can't run it again since it won't install. This PC was
>> pre-loaded
>> with Vista Home Premium. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary.
>>

>> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>>

>>> Shut that all down.
>>>
>>> Run:
>>> "%programfiles%\windows media player\setup_wm.exe"
>>> /DownloadService:MTVN
>>> (case-sensitive) from a Start:Run prompt.
>>>
>>> If you're still having problems shutting down WMP, something is keeping
>>> WMP
>>> open and you would need to fix that before you can proceed.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Speaking for myself only.
>>> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
>>> rights.

=?Utf-8?B?amdyZng=?=

Re: How do I install Urge?
None of the two registry keys you listed exist. There's no MTVN folder under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Subscriptions\, and there
is no CLSID folder with the number you listed.