Vista Movie Maker and my Digital Video Camera

=?Utf-8?B?SG93YXJk?=

Vista Movie Maker and my Digital Video Camera
I plugged in my Sony Digital Video Camera through the USB port and Movie
Maker refuses to acknokledge the hook up is there.

I followed the suggestions listed in the Help section, turning my camera on
and making sure it is in play mode etc.

Can anyone help?
Dana Cline - MVP

Re: Vista Movie Maker and my Digital Video Camera
As far as I know, MovieMaker doesn't work with USB cameras, only IEEE 1394
(FireWire) or composite video.

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

"Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I plugged in my Sony Digital Video Camera through the USB port and Movie
> Maker refuses to acknokledge the hook up is there.
>
> I followed the suggestions listed in the Help section, turning my camera
> on
> and making sure it is in play mode etc.
>
> Can anyone help?

Graham Hughes

Re: Vista Movie Maker and my Digital Video Camera
Dana is right, which make and model cam is it?

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Dana Cline - MVP" <dcline@scriptpro.com> wrote in message
> As far as I know, MovieMaker doesn't work with USB cameras, only IEEE 1394
> (FireWire) or composite video.
>
> Dana Cline - MCE MVP
>
> "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I plugged in my Sony Digital Video Camera through the USB port and Movie
>> Maker refuses to acknokledge the hook up is there.
>>
>> I followed the suggestions listed in the Help section, turning my camera
>> on
>> and making sure it is in play mode etc.
>>
>> Can anyone help?

=?Utf-8?B?TmlnZWwgQnJvb2tlLVNtaXRo?=

Re: Vista Movie Maker and my Digital Video Camera
Hi Graham

I have the same problem as Howard mentioned. I have a Sony TRV250E - which
records digitally to 8mm tape, rather than a memory stick or card. It used
to work fine under XP Home/MovieMaker on the USB connection, but now under
Vista it just doesn't recognise it.

I've been on to Sony's website, and there's no new drivers or software for
use with Vista, so I reloaded the drivers for XP into Vista. I can't speak
for how it was before, but I can see and use the video camera in Live
Messenger quite happily on USB, including playing from the video tape, but it
just doesn't want to accept the video stream in MovieMaker.

The annoying thing is that when you read the Help files in MM, it says "If
you have a DV camera that supports streaming over USB (also called a USB
Video Class [UVC] camera), you can connect the video camera to your computer
by using a USB 2.0 connection. To determine whether your DV camera supports
USB streaming over DV, check Windows Device Manager and determine if the
camera appears as a "USB Video Device," or check the documentation that came
with your DV camera or go to the manufacturer's Web site."

Neither option is of much help. The camera appears as an 'Imaging device'
along with my logitech webcam, and it also appears as a USB Audio device
under the 'Sound, Video and Game Controllers section'.

Any clues?

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Dana is right, which make and model cam is it?
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "Dana Cline - MVP" <dcline@scriptpro.com> wrote in message
> > As far as I know, MovieMaker doesn't work with USB cameras, only IEEE 1394
> > (FireWire) or composite video.
> >
> > Dana Cline - MCE MVP
> >
> > "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I plugged in my Sony Digital Video Camera through the USB port and Movie
> >> Maker refuses to acknokledge the hook up is there.
> >>
> >> I followed the suggestions listed in the Help section, turning my camera
> >> on
> >> and making sure it is in play mode etc.
> >>
> >> Can anyone help?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgTQ==?=

Re: Vista Movie Maker and my Digital Video Camera
I also have the same issue only with an IEEE connection. I've gone so far as
to try 3 different video capture programs (including Adobe Premier) and none
of them will capture from my Sony DV. What is interesting is that I can
control the device (play/FF/rewind) but cannot import the video. In Movie
Maker I can semi-capture in the spacehog AVI format, but it then is an
unreadable file in any software (I learned this after a 1 hour capture). The
other offered formats rewind the tape and then I get an error called "N/A"
which I had not seen before. The device shows in control panel under system
devices, but not in Explorer. I've replaced the 4-pin to 4-pin cable thinking
that was the issue. I am now at wit's end.... I hope a solution comes out
which is why I am adding to this thread. Wish I could have offered the answer.

"Dana Cline - MVP" wrote:

> As far as I know, MovieMaker doesn't work with USB cameras, only IEEE 1394
> (FireWire) or composite video.
>
> Dana Cline - MCE MVP
>
> "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I plugged in my Sony Digital Video Camera through the USB port and Movie
> > Maker refuses to acknokledge the hook up is there.
> >
> > I followed the suggestions listed in the Help section, turning my camera
> > on
> > and making sure it is in play mode etc.
> >
> > Can anyone help?

Shack69

"Chris M" wrote:

> I also have the same issue only with an IEEE connection. I've gone so far as
> to try 3 different video capture programs (including Adobe Premier) and none
> of them will capture from my Sony DV. What is interesting is that I can
> control the device (play/FF/rewind) but cannot import the video. In Movie
> Maker I can semi-capture in the spacehog AVI format, but it then is an
> unreadable file in any software (I learned this after a 1 hour capture). The
> other offered formats rewind the tape and then I get an error called "N/A"
> which I had not seen before. The device shows in control panel under system
> devices, but not in Explorer. I've replaced the 4-pin to 4-pin cable thinking
> that was the issue. I am now at wit's end.... I hope a solution comes out
> which is why I am adding to this thread. Wish I could have offered the answer.
>
> "Dana Cline - MVP" wrote:
>
> > As far as I know, MovieMaker doesn't work with USB cameras, only IEEE 1394
> > (FireWire) or composite video.
> >
> > Dana Cline - MCE MVP
> >
> > "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I plugged in my Sony Digital Video Camera through the USB port and Movie
> > > Maker refuses to acknokledge the hook up is there.
> > >
> > > I followed the suggestions listed in the Help section, turning my camera
> > > on
> > > and making sure it is in play mode etc.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help?

> > I have the same problem as Chris but I'm using a JVC camera, again I can control the video but can not import it.

Adam Albright

Re: Vista Movie Maker and my Digital Video Camera
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:36:04 -0700, Shack69
<Shack69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

For what it's worth, issues controlling the camera and having it
perform correctly is fairly common... even with professional grade
software. In order to "capture" a video stream from ANY digital camera
and do so WITHOUT dropping frames or having the audio get out of sync
most devices must have a 100% compliant firewire interface. The sad
reality is many computers and some cameras do not work well together.
This is one of those why the heck don't they kind of questions. I've
seen the same kind of issue in many video forums get raised, so it
isn't limited to Movie Maker. Often the real issue isn't the camera's
fault, but the interface on the computer end.

I can't say for sure this is your problem, but the interface is often
the source of all kinds of weird issues.

For example I had a varation of this problem myself with a Canon
camera. The computer I was using had a build-in IEEE connector right
on the motherboard, so you would think that would be 100% compliant
and fully up to specs. It wasn't. I spend hours on the phone talking
to so-called "tech support" and we all know the typical run around and
lame information you typically get from that source unless you happen
to get lucky and finally get connected to sombody that actually knows
what they're talking about.

No matter what I did the interface only worked one way. It has been
years, so I forget which, but either the import or export didn't work
with it dropping frames like crazy making it useless but it worked
fine going the other way.

ONLY after I disabled the onboard IEEE (firewire) connector on the
motherboard and replaced with what I KNEW for sure was a good and
totally compliant firewire card that was 100% up to specs did the
problem go away. Such cards are typically cheap and in the $20-40
range. I've upgraded to a new computer, so I don't use that card
anymore and don't have it handy, probably discontinued by now anyway.
One known good maker of such cards is SIIG, that makes all kinds of
external boards for USB, Firewire, etc..

Don't recall if this is the exact model I had, but it looks very
similar. The key thing to look for is compliance with IEEE 1394-1995,
1394a-2000 and OHCI 1.1 standards. This card meets all of them.

http://www.siig.com/product.asp?catid=1&pid=372

>"Chris M" wrote:
>
>> I also have the same issue only with an IEEE connection. I've gone so far as
>> to try 3 different video capture programs (including Adobe Premier) and none
>> of them will capture from my Sony DV. What is interesting is that I can
>> control the device (play/FF/rewind) but cannot import the video. In Movie
>> Maker I can semi-capture in the spacehog AVI format, but it then is an
>> unreadable file in any software (I learned this after a 1 hour capture). The
>> other offered formats rewind the tape and then I get an error called "N/A"
>> which I had not seen before. The device shows in control panel under system
>> devices, but not in Explorer. I've replaced the 4-pin to 4-pin cable thinking
>> that was the issue. I am now at wit's end.... I hope a solution comes out
>> which is why I am adding to this thread. Wish I could have offered the answer.
>>
>> "Dana Cline - MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > As far as I know, MovieMaker doesn't work with USB cameras, only IEEE 1394
>> > (FireWire) or composite video.
>> >
>> > Dana Cline - MCE MVP
>> >
>> > "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > I have the same problem as Chris but I'm using a JVC camera, again I can control the video but can not import it.

RatDoc

Re: Vista Movie Maker and my Digital Video Camera
I have the same problem using a JVC GR-D30U mini-dv camera. I can control
the camera within Moviemaker and the program will go through the motions of
captruing the video but at the end of the capture the captured file is empty.
I am running Vista Ultimate. Haven't found a solution yet and I had no such
problem when I was using XP professional.

"Chris M" wrote:

> I also have the same issue only with an IEEE connection. I've gone so far as
> to try 3 different video capture programs (including Adobe Premier) and none
> of them will capture from my Sony DV. What is interesting is that I can
> control the device (play/FF/rewind) but cannot import the video. In Movie
> Maker I can semi-capture in the spacehog AVI format, but it then is an
> unreadable file in any software (I learned this after a 1 hour capture). The
> other offered formats rewind the tape and then I get an error called "N/A"
> which I had not seen before. The device shows in control panel under system
> devices, but not in Explorer. I've replaced the 4-pin to 4-pin cable thinking
> that was the issue. I am now at wit's end.... I hope a solution comes out
> which is why I am adding to this thread. Wish I could have offered the answer.
>
> "Dana Cline - MVP" wrote:
>
> > As far as I know, MovieMaker doesn't work with USB cameras, only IEEE 1394
> > (FireWire) or composite video.
> >
> > Dana Cline - MCE MVP
> >
> > "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I plugged in my Sony Digital Video Camera through the USB port and Movie
> > > Maker refuses to acknokledge the hook up is there.
> > >
> > > I followed the suggestions listed in the Help section, turning my camera
> > > on
> > > and making sure it is in play mode etc.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help?

Trentster

Re: Vista Movie Maker and my Digital Video Camera
I am having the same problem with my JVC. I can control but not capture video