Windows Media Player 11 and Vista

=?Utf-8?B?Q29ubmllIEw=?=

Windows Media Player 11 and Vista
Does ANYONE know how to fix this problem? I cannot play ANY music I have
purchased since getting my new Vista system. The music I previously owned
works fine but nothing I buy and download will play. It simply states it
cannot open the file. This appears to be a DRM issue but I can't figure out
how to fix it. I can't even find a place to download WMP 11 for Vista. This
exact thing also happens in the new Zune software I installed. PLEASE HELP! I
cannot find any tech support who has been able to help.
Dale

Re: Windows Media Player 11 and Vista
Have you tried searching your hard drive using the build-in search feature
in Vista? Once you find the missing tracks, you can add the folder to the
monitored folders list in Windows Media Player by, in Windows Media Player,
pressing the F3 key and then browsing to the file location.

Dale

"Connie L" <ConnieL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does ANYONE know how to fix this problem? I cannot play ANY music I have
> purchased since getting my new Vista system. The music I previously owned
> works fine but nothing I buy and download will play. It simply states it
> cannot open the file. This appears to be a DRM issue but I can't figure
> out
> how to fix it. I can't even find a place to download WMP 11 for Vista.
> This
> exact thing also happens in the new Zune software I installed. PLEASE
> HELP! I
> cannot find any tech support who has been able to help.

=?Utf-8?B?Q29ubmllIEw=?=

Re: Windows Media Player 11 and Vista
The tracks are not missing. I know exactly where they are. It simply states
it cannot play them. End of discussion. This is only true of content
purchased on downloaded since I got Vista.

"Dale" wrote:

> Have you tried searching your hard drive using the build-in search feature
> in Vista? Once you find the missing tracks, you can add the folder to the
> monitored folders list in Windows Media Player by, in Windows Media Player,
> pressing the F3 key and then browsing to the file location.
>
> Dale
>
> "Connie L" <ConnieL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does ANYONE know how to fix this problem? I cannot play ANY music I have
> > purchased since getting my new Vista system. The music I previously owned
> > works fine but nothing I buy and download will play. It simply states it
> > cannot open the file. This appears to be a DRM issue but I can't figure
> > out
> > how to fix it. I can't even find a place to download WMP 11 for Vista.
> > This
> > exact thing also happens in the new Zune software I installed. PLEASE
> > HELP! I
> > cannot find any tech support who has been able to help.

Dale

Re: Windows Media Player 11 and Vista
Whoops. My mistake.

I'm curious what the store where you purchased the songs from says?

Problems like these are part of why I never purchase music by download. I
buy CDs and rip to MP3. I never have a problem playing my property then.
Using downloaded and DRM protected songs will always be dependent on a
complex relationship working between you, the store, Microsoft, the store's
software, and Windows Media Player. That is just way too many places for
things to go wrong - and they often do go wrong, depriving you, the
customer, of your property.

> The tracks are not missing. I know exactly where they are. It simply
> states
> it cannot play them. End of discussion. This is only true of content
> purchased on downloaded since I got Vista.
>
> "Dale" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried searching your hard drive using the build-in search
>> feature
>> in Vista? Once you find the missing tracks, you can add the folder to
>> the
>> monitored folders list in Windows Media Player by, in Windows Media
>> Player,
>> pressing the F3 key and then browsing to the file location.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> "Connie L" <ConnieL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Does ANYONE know how to fix this problem? I cannot play ANY music I
>> > have
>> > purchased since getting my new Vista system. The music I previously
>> > owned
>> > works fine but nothing I buy and download will play. It simply states
>> > it
>> > cannot open the file. This appears to be a DRM issue but I can't figure
>> > out
>> > how to fix it. I can't even find a place to download WMP 11 for Vista.
>> > This
>> > exact thing also happens in the new Zune software I installed. PLEASE
>> > HELP! I
>> > cannot find any tech support who has been able to help.

=?Utf-8?B?Q29ubmllIEw=?=

Re: Windows Media Player 11 and Vista
Well, that was kind of why I chose to "experiment" with URGE. The links for
several on-line music sites are built right into WMP11 so I figured I'd be
safe. Wrong! I don't download all that much but I just HATE it when something
I paid for doesn;t work right. Ya know?

I've tried contacting URGE (several times) and I'm always told it's been
escalated and they will get back to me. Yah right. I could die of old age
waiting.

Connie

"Dale" wrote:

> Whoops. My mistake.
>
> I'm curious what the store where you purchased the songs from says?
>
> Problems like these are part of why I never purchase music by download. I
> buy CDs and rip to MP3. I never have a problem playing my property then.
> Using downloaded and DRM protected songs will always be dependent on a
> complex relationship working between you, the store, Microsoft, the store's
> software, and Windows Media Player. That is just way too many places for
> things to go wrong - and they often do go wrong, depriving you, the
> customer, of your property.
>
> Dale
>
> "Connie L" <ConnieL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The tracks are not missing. I know exactly where they are. It simply
> > states
> > it cannot play them. End of discussion. This is only true of content
> > purchased on downloaded since I got Vista.
> >
> > "Dale" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you tried searching your hard drive using the build-in search
> >> feature
> >> in Vista? Once you find the missing tracks, you can add the folder to
> >> the
> >> monitored folders list in Windows Media Player by, in Windows Media
> >> Player,
> >> pressing the F3 key and then browsing to the file location.
> >>
> >> Dale

=?Utf-8?B?ZHVua3N0ZXI2OA==?=

Re: Windows Media Player 11 and Vista
I have the exact same problem with Wal-mart downloads

"Connie L" wrote:

> Well, that was kind of why I chose to "experiment" with URGE. The links for
> several on-line music sites are built right into WMP11 so I figured I'd be
> safe. Wrong! I don't download all that much but I just HATE it when something
> I paid for doesn;t work right. Ya know?
>
> I've tried contacting URGE (several times) and I'm always told it's been
> escalated and they will get back to me. Yah right. I could die of old age
> waiting.
>
> Connie
>
> "Dale" wrote:
>
> > Whoops. My mistake.
> >
> > I'm curious what the store where you purchased the songs from says?
> >
> > Problems like these are part of why I never purchase music by download. I
> > buy CDs and rip to MP3. I never have a problem playing my property then.
> > Using downloaded and DRM protected songs will always be dependent on a
> > complex relationship working between you, the store, Microsoft, the store's
> > software, and Windows Media Player. That is just way too many places for
> > things to go wrong - and they often do go wrong, depriving you, the
> > customer, of your property.
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > "Connie L" <ConnieL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > The tracks are not missing. I know exactly where they are. It simply
> > > states
> > > it cannot play them. End of discussion. This is only true of content
> > > purchased on downloaded since I got Vista.

=?Utf-8?B?Q29ubmllIEw=?=

Re: Windows Media Player 11 and Vista
Which really has to make you wonder why something that actually comes with
the darn thing wouldn't work. All I can say is that these music download
sites will be losing a LOT of $$. I'm through trying to make it work unless
someone just happens to offer up a solution. Very irritating

"dunkster68" wrote:

> I have the exact same problem with Wal-mart downloads
>
> "Connie L" wrote:
>
> > Well, that was kind of why I chose to "experiment" with URGE. The links for
> > several on-line music sites are built right into WMP11 so I figured I'd be
> > safe. Wrong! I don't download all that much but I just HATE it when something
> > I paid for doesn;t work right. Ya know?
> >
> > I've tried contacting URGE (several times) and I'm always told it's been
> > escalated and they will get back to me. Yah right. I could die of old age
> > waiting.
> >
> > Connie
> >
> > "Dale" wrote:
> >
> > > Whoops. My mistake.
> > >
> > > I'm curious what the store where you purchased the songs from says?
> > >
> > > Problems like these are part of why I never purchase music by download. I
> > > buy CDs and rip to MP3. I never have a problem playing my property then.
> > > Using downloaded and DRM protected songs will always be dependent on a
> > > complex relationship working between you, the store, Microsoft, the store's
> > > software, and Windows Media Player. That is just way too many places for
> > > things to go wrong - and they often do go wrong, depriving you, the
> > > customer, of your property.
> > >
> > > Dale

=?Utf-8?B?ZHVua3N0ZXI2OA==?=

Re: Windows Media Player 11 and Vista
After much searching this fixed my issue. This seems to be a problem with
SigmaTel Audio cards and Gateway PC's in most cases.

go to regedit -
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Audio

change the DisableProtectedAudioDG from 1 to 0 then restart the computer and
the songs will play

"Connie L" wrote:

> Which really has to make you wonder why something that actually comes with
> the darn thing wouldn't work. All I can say is that these music download
> sites will be losing a LOT of $$. I'm through trying to make it work unless
> someone just happens to offer up a solution. Very irritating
>
> "dunkster68" wrote:
>
> > I have the exact same problem with Wal-mart downloads
> >
> > "Connie L" wrote:
> >
> > > Well, that was kind of why I chose to "experiment" with URGE. The links for
> > > several on-line music sites are built right into WMP11 so I figured I'd be
> > > safe. Wrong! I don't download all that much but I just HATE it when something
> > > I paid for doesn;t work right. Ya know?
> > >
> > > I've tried contacting URGE (several times) and I'm always told it's been
> > > escalated and they will get back to me. Yah right. I could die of old age
> > > waiting.
> > >
> > > Connie

=?Utf-8?B?dHc=?=

RE: Windows Media Player 11 and Vista
did you ever get any help for your issue? i can't download any music from the
internet. downloads the site but won't let me search for music or anything.

"Connie L" wrote:

> Does ANYONE know how to fix this problem? I cannot play ANY music I have
> purchased since getting my new Vista system. The music I previously owned
> works fine but nothing I buy and download will play. It simply states it
> cannot open the file. This appears to be a DRM issue but I can't figure out
> how to fix it. I can't even find a place to download WMP 11 for Vista. This
> exact thing also happens in the new Zune software I installed. PLEASE HELP! I
> cannot find any tech support who has been able to help.

Max Power

Re: Windows Media Player 11 and Vista
Bless you...I've looked everywhere to try and solve this...once I made the
change you suggested (and un-did the stuff that Microsoft suggested) it
worked fine. I don't have a SigmaTel card or Gateway PC, so it's probably a
problem on a lot of hardware.