Vista Ultimate (Media Center)

webequipped

Vista Ultimate (Media Center)
Where is the capability to record from my Camcorder? Between my Hauppauge
WinTV PVR and Media Center I have no way of recording to my PC?
What gives with that? I have even tried to install "recommended" third party
video recording/editing tools and Vista doesn't allow me to record from my
Camcorder!

Guess I going to return this copy of Vista Ultimate to Costco. What a pain
in the bottom!

A very very dissapointed comsumer.

Mike Byrns

Re: Vista Ultimate (Media Center)
How did you connect your camcorder to the computer? What kind of cable did
you try to use?

"webequipped" <jlpingree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Where is the capability to record from my Camcorder? Between my Hauppauge
> WinTV PVR and Media Center I have no way of recording to my PC?
> What gives with that? I have even tried to install "recommended" third
> party video recording/editing tools and Vista doesn't allow me to record
> from my Camcorder!
>
> Guess I going to return this copy of Vista Ultimate to Costco. What a pain
> in the bottom!
>
> A very very dissapointed comsumer.

Dale

Re: Vista Ultimate (Media Center)
Don't give up too quickly. It can be done. Just work with the group.

Dale

"webequipped" <jlpingree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Where is the capability to record from my Camcorder? Between my Hauppauge
> WinTV PVR and Media Center I have no way of recording to my PC?
> What gives with that? I have even tried to install "recommended" third
> party video recording/editing tools and Vista doesn't allow me to record
> from my Camcorder!
>
> Guess I going to return this copy of Vista Ultimate to Costco. What a pain
> in the bottom!
>
> A very very dissapointed comsumer.

Mike Byrns

Re: Vista Ultimate (Media Center)
I'm guessing that the camcorder is using IEEE1394 and he doesn't have the
interface card. I wonder if this worked in previous versions of Windows...

"Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message
> Don't give up too quickly. It can be done. Just work with the group.
>
> Dale
>
> "webequipped" <jlpingree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Where is the capability to record from my Camcorder? Between my Hauppauge
>> WinTV PVR and Media Center I have no way of recording to my PC?
>> What gives with that? I have even tried to install "recommended" third
>> party video recording/editing tools and Vista doesn't allow me to record
>> from my Camcorder!
>>
>> Guess I going to return this copy of Vista Ultimate to Costco. What a
>> pain in the bottom!
>>
>> A very very dissapointed comsumer.

webequipped

Re: Vista Ultimate (Media Center)
Dang... I didn't realize I would get such a quick response...

Ok then.. I have a WinTV PCI PVR 150/500 (26xxx model)
I have a Asus EAX1950 256mb Video card
The camcorder is a Sony Handycam CCD TRV65 (last of the analog bred and imho
still the best picture and feature set)

I have have tried both s-video and RCA connections from the Sony to the
Hauppuage card. Media Center has no setting, least none that I can find that
will allow me to view and/or record from my Sony!

If this matters, the Hauppauge TV card works fine in Media Center. I can
watch Cable TV and Record Cable TV.

Thanks for the quick response!

"Mike Byrns" <mike.byrns@technologist.com> wrote in message
> How did you connect your camcorder to the computer? What kind of cable
> did you try to use?
>
> "webequipped" <jlpingree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Where is the capability to record from my Camcorder? Between my Hauppauge
>> WinTV PVR and Media Center I have no way of recording to my PC?
>> What gives with that? I have even tried to install "recommended" third
>> party video recording/editing tools and Vista doesn't allow me to record
>> from my Camcorder!
>>
>> Guess I going to return this copy of Vista Ultimate to Costco. What a
>> pain in the bottom!
>>
>> A very very dissapointed comsumer.

webequipped

Re: Vista Ultimate (Media Center)
Yes it did work on XP Pro with my ATI DV8500 card. No it has no IEEE 1394
interface as it is an older camcorder that works just fine. I can connect
the Sony via s-video or RCA to my the ATI DV8500 and record or play the
tapes. Since moving to Vsita Ultimate I have lost the ability to do what is
one of my passions, record my kids playing sports and send the DVD's to
grandparents and other relatives.

I enjoy the new features of Vista however this is a major drawback and I do
not understand why this one feature was overlook in the Media Center feature
set!

> I'm guessing that the camcorder is using IEEE1394 and he doesn't have the
> interface card. I wonder if this worked in previous versions of
> Windows...
>
> "Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message
>> Don't give up too quickly. It can be done. Just work with the group.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> "webequipped" <jlpingree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Where is the capability to record from my Camcorder? Between my
>>> Hauppauge WinTV PVR and Media Center I have no way of recording to my
>>> PC?
>>> What gives with that? I have even tried to install "recommended" third
>>> party video recording/editing tools and Vista doesn't allow me to record
>>> from my Camcorder!
>>>
>>> Guess I going to return this copy of Vista Ultimate to Costco. What a
>>> pain in the bottom!
>>>
>>> A very very dissapointed comsumer.

Mike Byrns

Re: Vista Ultimate (Media Center)
You should make sure that the Handycam is in playback mode and that when you
connect direct to TV that the playback controls function so you get a
picture on the TV. Once that's working connect to the Hauppauge -- I use an
extender cable for this so I don't have to root around behind the TV Use
S-Video if you can since it provides a better picture but remember that it
only does video and you'll need to use RCA for audio connection.

Now here's the tricky part -- did you install any software from Hauppauge
from CD or the web or are you just using the drivers that Windows Update
provided automatically. If the latter then you'll need to get the software
bundle from Hauppauge that includes their capture program. I don't have it
installed right now since Vista didn't need it in for my cam. I just
connect digital by Firewire so I don't have to monkey around with pressing
play on the cam, get direct digital quality, etc. and Vista recognizes it
out of the box in Windows Movie Maker.

If you really want to go analog you'll have to use the Hauppauge capture
program but when I used it last I was disappointed in the analog results
since it had to go from digital in the cam to analog back to digital. Does
your cam have Firewire (IEEE1384)? If so you can get a cheap board and go
digital for like $20 from NewEgg.com.

> Dang... I didn't realize I would get such a quick response...
>
> Ok then.. I have a WinTV PCI PVR 150/500 (26xxx model)
> I have a Asus EAX1950 256mb Video card
> The camcorder is a Sony Handycam CCD TRV65 (last of the analog bred and
> imho still the best picture and feature set)
>
> I have have tried both s-video and RCA connections from the Sony to the
> Hauppuage card. Media Center has no setting, least none that I can find
> that will allow me to view and/or record from my Sony!
>
> If this matters, the Hauppauge TV card works fine in Media Center. I can
> watch Cable TV and Record Cable TV.
>
> Thanks for the quick response!
>

> "Mike Byrns" <mike.byrns@technologist.com> wrote in message
>> How did you connect your camcorder to the computer? What kind of cable
>> did you try to use?
>>
>> "webequipped" <jlpingree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Where is the capability to record from my Camcorder? Between my
>>> Hauppauge WinTV PVR and Media Center I have no way of recording to my
>>> PC?
>>> What gives with that? I have even tried to install "recommended" third
>>> party video recording/editing tools and Vista doesn't allow me to record
>>> from my Camcorder!
>>>
>>> Guess I going to return this copy of Vista Ultimate to Costco. What a
>>> pain in the bottom!
>>>
>>> A very very dissapointed comsumer.

Mike Byrns

Re: Vista Ultimate (Media Center)
Just out of curiosity, have you looked in the Video Library section of Media
Center? I've found some of my recordable devices there but I can't imagine
how it would be able to handle a streaming analog interface there...

> Yes it did work on XP Pro with my ATI DV8500 card. No it has no IEEE 1394
> interface as it is an older camcorder that works just fine. I can connect
> the Sony via s-video or RCA to my the ATI DV8500 and record or play the
> tapes. Since moving to Vsita Ultimate I have lost the ability to do what
> is one of my passions, record my kids playing sports and send the DVD's to
> grandparents and other relatives.
>
> I enjoy the new features of Vista however this is a major drawback and I
> do not understand why this one feature was overlook in the Media Center
> feature set!
>

> "Mike Byrns" <mike.byrns@technologist.com> wrote in message
>> I'm guessing that the camcorder is using IEEE1394 and he doesn't have the
>> interface card. I wonder if this worked in previous versions of
>> Windows...
>>
>> "Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message
>>> Don't give up too quickly. It can be done. Just work with the group.
>>>
>>> Dale

Dana Cline - MVP

Re: Vista Ultimate (Media Center)
If you want to capture in Media Center, you need to do it the same way as in
MCE 2005. You run the TV setup, tell it you have a set-top box. Then it
recognizes the sVideo input. Only problem is you have to rerun setup when
you're done to switch back to analog cable.

If you want to capture using some other software, you'll probably need to
kill the eHome services so Media Center gives up control of the tuner.

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

"webequipped" <jlpingree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes it did work on XP Pro with my ATI DV8500 card. No it has no IEEE 1394
> interface as it is an older camcorder that works just fine. I can connect
> the Sony via s-video or RCA to my the ATI DV8500 and record or play the
> tapes. Since moving to Vsita Ultimate I have lost the ability to do what
> is one of my passions, record my kids playing sports and send the DVD's to
> grandparents and other relatives.
>
> I enjoy the new features of Vista however this is a major drawback and I
> do not understand why this one feature was overlook in the Media Center
> feature set!
>

> "Mike Byrns" <mike.byrns@technologist.com> wrote in message
>> I'm guessing that the camcorder is using IEEE1394 and he doesn't have the
>> interface card. I wonder if this worked in previous versions of
>> Windows...
>>
>> "Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message
>>> Don't give up too quickly. It can be done. Just work with the group.
>>>
>>> Dale

webequipped

Re: Vista Ultimate (Media Center)
Dana,
That almost worked. I got to the part in the MCE Wizard where the wizard
finds my, turned on and playing camcorder. That page in the wizard is
called: Select a working TV Signal. It finds the signal from the camcorder
on S-Video 1. It even show a small box with the video feed running from the
camcorder. HOWEVER, one major glitch...
It requires me to have a IR cable attached which on the next page the wizard
tells me "IR Hardware Not Detected".... thus putting an end to a hopeful
situation. The wizard forces me to cancle out - MAJOR BUMMER.....

Hopefully someone at Microsoft in the MCE group can amend this wizard and
allow those of us with these slightly older non-IEEE 1394 camcorders to
connect, watch and record in future version of Vista Ultimate.

Having spend a wad on Vista and hardware for it to run on I am not
interested in running out to purchase a new camcorder when the one I have
works perfectly well.

Thanks for your efforts - Johan.