WM PLAYS DVD'S BUT NO SOUND!

=?Utf-8?B?RVQ=?=

WM PLAYS DVD'S BUT NO SOUND!
i have the new Dell laptop with vista home. i have no problem playing the
dvd's, have a great picture but there is no sound. it plays my music and all
but doesn't give me sound with my dvd's. can any one help me with this
problem please?
=?Utf-8?B?U2FtZSBwcm9ibGUgLCBObyBzb3VuZCBwbGF5aW5nIERWRA==?=

RE: WM PLAYS DVD'S BUT NO SOUND!
I have the same problem and so does another person that got the same
notebook computere as I have Compaq presario
C501
"ET" wrote:

> i have the new Dell laptop with vista home. i have no problem playing the
> dvd's, have a great picture but there is no sound. it plays my music and all
> but doesn't give me sound with my dvd's. can any one help me with this
> problem please?

JW

Re: WM PLAYS DVD'S BUT NO SOUND!
Check the following link to your notebook at the HP Vista support Site.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Looku...+presario+C501

"Same proble , No sound playing DVD" <Same proble , No sound playing
DVD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem and so does another person that got the same
> notebook computere as I have Compaq presario
> C501
> "ET" wrote:
>
>> i have the new Dell laptop with vista home. i have no problem playing the
>> dvd's, have a great picture but there is no sound. it plays my music and
>> all
>> but doesn't give me sound with my dvd's. can any one help me with this
>> problem please?

=?Utf-8?B?QmlnIEplZmZ5IChBdXN0cmFsaWEp?=

Re: WM PLAYS DVD'S BUT NO SOUND!
I have this problem to - but it is not PC specific, I am running a generic
media center, outputting video and sound via HDMI to a Sony Bravia .. same
deal - good video but no sound on DVDs.

Sound works fine on Cyberlink PowerDVD, but I purchsed the whole deal to run
Vista media center!

I have not found a solution yet . . although the problem appears to be
cropping up for a few people . . . I am also running an ATI card (X1650
w/HDMI) - maybe it is and ATI HDMI out issue.

Interestingly I have the same issue with Australian HD Digital Free to Air -
feel like it could be an MPEG issue . . .

JW

Re: WM PLAYS DVD'S BUT NO SOUND!
See if the following utility will let you change the decoders used by MC to
the Cyberlink ones from the MS ones.

http://mediacenterexpert.blogspot.co...r-utility.html

"Big Jeffy (Australia)" <Big Jeffy (Australia)@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:2B311CC9-FDB4-453B-8043-2A3048BB52A9@microsoft.com...
>I have this problem to - but it is not PC specific, I am running a generic
> media center, outputting video and sound via HDMI to a Sony Bravia .. same
> deal - good video but no sound on DVDs.
>
> Sound works fine on Cyberlink PowerDVD, but I purchsed the whole deal to
> run
> Vista media center!
>
> I have not found a solution yet . . although the problem appears to be
> cropping up for a few people . . . I am also running an ATI card (X1650
> w/HDMI) - maybe it is and ATI HDMI out issue.
>
> Interestingly I have the same issue with Australian HD Digital Free to
> Air -
> feel like it could be an MPEG issue . . .

=?Utf-8?B?QmlnIEplZmZ5IChBdXN0cmFsaWEp?=

Re: WM PLAYS DVD'S BUT NO SOUND!
Thanks - just found that - will try once my wife gets off the couch! One
"unexpected problem of the MC being the "centre of our entertainment world!

"JW" wrote:

> See if the following utility will let you change the decoders used by MC to
> the Cyberlink ones from the MS ones.
>
> http://mediacenterexpert.blogspot.co...r-utility.html
>

> "Big Jeffy (Australia)" <Big Jeffy (Australia)@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:2B311CC9-FDB4-453B-8043-2A3048BB52A9@microsoft.com...
> >I have this problem to - but it is not PC specific, I am running a generic
> > media center, outputting video and sound via HDMI to a Sony Bravia .. same
> > deal - good video but no sound on DVDs.
> >
> > Sound works fine on Cyberlink PowerDVD, but I purchsed the whole deal to
> > run
> > Vista media center!
> >
> > I have not found a solution yet . . although the problem appears to be
> > cropping up for a few people . . . I am also running an ATI card (X1650
> > w/HDMI) - maybe it is and ATI HDMI out issue.
> >
> > Interestingly I have the same issue with Australian HD Digital Free to
> > Air -
> > feel like it could be an MPEG issue . . .

iJonny

Re: WM PLAYS DVD'S BUT NO SOUND!

Answer from another part of the forums:

Same thing I battled last night here. My sound playback had somehow
been
switched from speakers to digital. Once I switched it back my DVD audio
was
OK

Charlie

Control Panel > Sound > Playback Tab > Click on Speakers (instead of
Digital Audio Interface) > Click Set Default. You may have to close out
and restart media player if you had it open.

Worked for me. Does the happy dance!

--
iJonny
=?Utf-8?B?QmlnIEplZmZ5IChBdXN0cmFsaWEp?=

Re: WM PLAYS DVD'S BUT NO SOUND!

Ok, thanks. The Digital default is not so good for me as I am using HDMI
for video and audio - a feature of the ATI HDMI solution is jacking digital
out/S-PDIF into the video card. So I need Digital Out enabled and as default.

Some playing with the media center expert tool has revealed that this IS a
Codec issue.

If I change the default Microsoft MPEG video and sound codecs to the
Cyberlink Power DVD Codecs using the media center expert registry edit
tool(see link above) to set these as the Vista Media Centre Defaults THEN I
get video and sound under DVDs and AU Free to Air HD TV (720p+).

BUT - under this scenario I not longer get sound with my standard def
Digital TV - it is the inverse of the original problem, sound with everything
except HD-TV and DVD.

Since then I have been trying to identify a CODEC package (or combination)
that does both. I cannot get the Vista Codec package to run without crashing
Media Center (this could be my problem as I don't really know what I am doing
in the configuration panels) and various combinations of Cyberlink/Microsoft
Codecs deliver either/or . . .or a Blue Screen of death.

Any suggestions as to:

- a sound CODEC that will support all of my needs (potential post on the
Vista CODEC site likely)?

- why the Microsoft MPEG-1/DD sound CODEC is not decoding sound on DVD's? I
am running a new, fairly standard system (Realtek HD onboard sound, new Vista
install etc)?

ANy ideas much appreciated. I don't think I am the only one experiencing
this issue.

Rgds.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: WM PLAYS DVD'S BUT NO SOUND!

When you crash, what's the fault bucket number:
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#bucket
?

Do you have ac3filter.ax on your system?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Big Jeffy (Australia)" <BigJeffyAustralia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news24E6750-7FF5-45A1-A82F-C03A547569BB@microsoft.com...

> Ok, thanks. The Digital default is not so good for me as I am using HDMI
> for video and audio - a feature of the ATI HDMI solution is jacking
> digital
> out/S-PDIF into the video card. So I need Digital Out enabled and as
> default.
>
> Some playing with the media center expert tool has revealed that this IS a
> Codec issue.
>
> If I change the default Microsoft MPEG video and sound codecs to the
> Cyberlink Power DVD Codecs using the media center expert registry edit
> tool(see link above) to set these as the Vista Media Centre Defaults THEN
> get video and sound under DVDs and AU Free to Air HD TV (720p+).
>
> BUT - under this scenario I not longer get sound with my standard def
> Digital TV - it is the inverse of the original problem, sound with
> everything
> except HD-TV and DVD.
>
> Since then I have been trying to identify a CODEC package (or combination)
> that does both. I cannot get the Vista Codec package to run without
> crashing
> Media Center (this could be my problem as I don't really know what I am
> doing
> in the configuration panels) and various combinations of
> Cyberlink/Microsoft
> Codecs deliver either/or . . .or a Blue Screen of death.
>
> Any suggestions as to:
>
> - a sound CODEC that will support all of my needs (potential post on the
> Vista CODEC site likely)?
>
> - why the Microsoft MPEG-1/DD sound CODEC is not decoding sound on DVD's?
> am running a new, fairly standard system (Realtek HD onboard sound, new
> Vista
> install etc)?
>
> ANy ideas much appreciated. I don't think I am the only one experiencing
> this issue.
>
> Rgds.

Big Jeffy (Australia)

Re: WM PLAYS DVD'S BUT NO SOUND!
I HAVE SOLVED MY PROBLEM . . . Yea!

As I am using a single HDMI cable from the HTPC to the TV (the sound runs
from the S/PDIF Co-ax out into the ATI 1650 video card - thence out with the
Video ivia HDMI) , with no receiver and got some sound - but not DVD I
started thinking it must be a format issue.

Went into Control Panel --> Sound --> Manage Audio Devices --> HD Digital
properties

Under the "Supported Formats" tab I noticed the wording was "Tick formats
your receiver supports" . . . I had no receiver.

Unchecking Dolby Digital, DTS and WMA Pro delivered stereo from all sound
sources (inc DVD & HD TV). Checking the boxes instructed the system to send
out coded digital - which the TV could not decodem = silence.

Not sure if this will help you above, but if you are using digital out and
do not have a receiver or are using PC --TV direct HDMI it may help you out.

Rgds. Big Jeffy