Ripping music files from data CD

=?Utf-8?B?S2VubnlHSw==?=

Ripping music files from data CD
How can I rip music (wma) files from a data CD using WMP 11?

When I insert the disc it only allows 'playing' the files, not ripping.

I'm using Vista Ultimate, which seems to fall short of it's 'Ultimate' title.
--
Thanks,
Ken
=?Utf-8?B?S2VubnlHSw==?=

RE: Ripping music files from data CD
Here's a little more info. on this.

WMP11 shows the drive as 'Blank Disc (F', yet Windows Explorer shows all 7
of the *.WMA files and a *.doc file, and there are no folders on the CD.

WMP11 also 'plays' the audio files when started from Windows Explorer.
--
Thanks,
Ken

"KennyGK" wrote:

> How can I rip music (wma) files from a data CD using WMP 11?
>
> When I insert the disc it only allows 'playing' the files, not ripping.
>
> I'm using Vista Ultimate, which seems to fall short of it's 'Ultimate' title.
> --
> Thanks,
> Ken

Dale

Re: Ripping music files from data CD
You don't have to rip it. Just copy the files off using Windows Explorer.

Dale

"KennyGK" <KennyGK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here's a little more info. on this.
>
> WMP11 shows the drive as 'Blank Disc (F', yet Windows Explorer shows all
> 7
> of the *.WMA files and a *.doc file, and there are no folders on the CD.
>
> WMP11 also 'plays' the audio files when started from Windows Explorer.
> --
> Thanks,
> Ken
>

> "KennyGK" wrote:
>
>> How can I rip music (wma) files from a data CD using WMP 11?
>>
>> When I insert the disc it only allows 'playing' the files, not ripping.
>>
>> I'm using Vista Ultimate, which seems to fall short of it's 'Ultimate'
>> title.
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Ken

=?Utf-8?B?S2VubnlHSw==?=

Re: Ripping music files from data CD
I knew I can do that, however, I want to rip them to my hard drive to mp3
format. Question is, how can I do it without additional software? Why isn't
WMP11 seeing the wma files to rip them? Is WMP11 so stupid it can read only
'music cds'?

Any MSMVPs care to answer this?
--
Thanks,
Ken

"Dale" wrote:

> You don't have to rip it. Just copy the files off using Windows Explorer.
>
> Dale
>
> "KennyGK" <KennyGK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Here's a little more info. on this.
> >
> > WMP11 shows the drive as 'Blank Disc (F', yet Windows Explorer shows all
> > 7
> > of the *.WMA files and a *.doc file, and there are no folders on the CD.
> >
> > WMP11 also 'plays' the audio files when started from Windows Explorer.
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Ken
> >

> > "KennyGK" wrote:
> >
> >> How can I rip music (wma) files from a data CD using WMP 11?
> >>
> >> When I insert the disc it only allows 'playing' the files, not ripping.
> >>
> >> I'm using Vista Ultimate, which seems to fall short of it's 'Ultimate'
> >> title.
> >> --
> >> Thanks,
> >> Ken

John Inzer

KennyGK wrote:
> I knew I can do that, however, I want to rip them to my hard drive to
> mp3 format. Question is, how can I do it without additional
> software? Why isn't WMP11 seeing the wma files to rip them? Is
> WMP11 so stupid it can read only 'music cds'?
>
> Any MSMVPs care to answer this?

==========================
If it's just a simple data disk...there's
nothing to rip. Try using WMP11 to
burn a CD from the .wma files...then
rip the cd.

--

John Inzer
Digital Image MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Dale

Re: Ripping music files from data CD
Ripping is a term coined from ripping off an audio CD. You don't have to
rip the WMA files. The concept doesn't even make sense. You can't rip it
off because no one sells them commercially anyway.

>I knew I can do that, however, I want to rip them to my hard drive to mp3
> format. Question is, how can I do it without additional software? Why
> isn't
> WMP11 seeing the wma files to rip them? Is WMP11 so stupid it can read
> only
> 'music cds'?
>
> Any MSMVPs care to answer this?
> --
> Thanks,
> Ken
>

> "Dale" wrote:
>
>> You don't have to rip it. Just copy the files off using Windows
>> Explorer.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> "KennyGK" <KennyGK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Here's a little more info. on this.
>> >
>> > WMP11 shows the drive as 'Blank Disc (F', yet Windows Explorer shows
>> > all
>> > 7
>> > of the *.WMA files and a *.doc file, and there are no folders on the
>> > CD.
>> >
>> > WMP11 also 'plays' the audio files when started from Windows Explorer.
>> > --
>> > Thanks,
>> > Ken

Dale

"John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message
> KennyGK wrote:
>> I knew I can do that, however, I want to rip them to my hard drive to
>> mp3 format. Question is, how can I do it without additional
>> software? Why isn't WMP11 seeing the wma files to rip them? Is
>> WMP11 so stupid it can read only 'music cds'?
>>
>> Any MSMVPs care to answer this?

> ==========================
> If it's just a simple data disk...there's
> nothing to rip. Try using WMP11 to
> burn a CD from the .wma files...then
> rip the cd.

Yikes. That would be a lot of work and the results would sound like crap.
But you're right. If the guy is just that determined to rip his WMA files
he would have to copy them to the hard drive, then use them to burn the CD,
and then rip the CD to the hard drive. Hmmmm..

=?Utf-8?B?S2VubnlHSw==?=

Re: Ripping music files from data CD
I just wanted to simplify and limit the tasking within WMP11 to 'copy' the
files from wma on cd to mp3 on hard disk within my WMP11 library. However,
WindowsMedia Player is too stupid to even recognize the files on the cd from
within the Ripping window.

I have loads of 'know how' and other 3rd party software, including Adobe
Audition, to get the task done 'if' I really wanted to do it another way.

I'm believing the MAC vs PC commercials more and more whole heartedly
everyday.
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Ripping music files from data CD

Nah, the Rip tab is for ripping Redbook Audio CDs to WMA or MP3 only. It's
not meant to be general purpose conversion. It doesn't list the WMA files
because that's not anything it can deal with within that context. =)

You would need to use Explorer to copy the files to disk, and then you can
use any conversion tool to convert it to whatever.

--
Speaking for myself only.

>I just wanted to simplify and limit the tasking within WMP11 to 'copy' the
> files from wma on cd to mp3 on hard disk within my WMP11 library.
> However,
> WindowsMedia Player is too stupid to even recognize the files on the cd
> from
> within the Ripping window.
>
> I have loads of 'know how' and other 3rd party software, including Adobe
> Audition, to get the task done 'if' I really wanted to do it another way.
>
> I'm believing the MAC vs PC commercials more and more whole heartedly
> everyday.

Jerry

Re: Ripping music files from data CD

"KennyGK" <KennyGK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just wanted to simplify and limit the tasking within WMP11 to 'copy' the
> files from wma on cd to mp3 on hard disk within my WMP11 library.
> However,
> WindowsMedia Player is too stupid to even recognize the files on the cd
> from
> within the Ripping window.
>
> I have loads of 'know how' and other 3rd party software, including Adobe
> Audition, to get the task done 'if' I really wanted to do it another way.
>
> I'm believing the MAC vs PC commercials more and more whole heartedly
> everyday.

Another example of a poorly informed user believing all they hype about Mac
V PC because his PC won't let him do what he wants, not because its broken
or anything like that but because its not designed to work like that.