CAn't delete LIBRARY in ULTIMATE Media Player 11

=?Utf-8?B?TUxfUw==?=

CAn't delete LIBRARY in ULTIMATE Media Player 11
OK

Lets hope this can be fixed. Ulitmate is alot of money but at the moment I
had more time for XP!!!

There have been several posts re-this but NO FIXES..COME ON MICROSOFT.

PROBLEM: As I believe many did when I installed ULTIMATE my media library
stoppped working as I couldn't get access to it via the old XP
folder....managed to get a work around and have now managed to transfer all
my music to the new Vista MUSIC folder.

However, Media Player and MCE will STILL not allow me to play them via the
library. AND I CAN'T DELETE IT!!!!!

How do I reset the library in both MP11 and MCE to check the new fil es in
the NEW FOLDER.

YES I have tried all the various deletes and NOTHING happens. The library
will not delete.

MY iTUNES has transfered ove fine but apparently MP11 & MCE still appear to
be looking in the old location.

Please help before I regret upgrading.
Dale

Re: CAn't delete LIBRARY in ULTIMATE Media Player 11
It's amazing that you found several posts about the problem and didn't find
any about resetting your library. It's a very common topic. Rename your
library database folder following the steps at
http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html#medialibrary.

Dale

"ML_S" <MLS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsB033823-9ACB-4539-9724-AC3CE8967BB6@microsoft.com...
> OK
>
> Lets hope this can be fixed. Ulitmate is alot of money but at the moment I
> had more time for XP!!!
>
> There have been several posts re-this but NO FIXES..COME ON MICROSOFT.
>
> PROBLEM: As I believe many did when I installed ULTIMATE my media library
> stoppped working as I couldn't get access to it via the old XP
> folder....managed to get a work around and have now managed to transfer
> all
> my music to the new Vista MUSIC folder.
>
> However, Media Player and MCE will STILL not allow me to play them via the
> library. AND I CAN'T DELETE IT!!!!!
>
> How do I reset the library in both MP11 and MCE to check the new fil es in
> the NEW FOLDER.
>
> YES I have tried all the various deletes and NOTHING happens. The library
> will not delete.
>
> MY iTUNES has transfered ove fine but apparently MP11 & MCE still appear
> be looking in the old location.
>
> Please help before I regret upgrading.

=?Utf-8?B?TUxfUw==?=

Re: CAn't delete LIBRARY in ULTIMATE Media Player 11
Mant thanks to DAle.

Not being a techno head it took me a few minutes to get my head round.
Eventuallty I opened said file up , deleted contents and resaved and
rebooted. and Lo! clear library.

Thank you.......trouble is now I don't seem to be ale to add those folders
in MUSIC. Any Ideas??

(So only the problem conectingly wireless to the internet and I'm happy !!
(see seperate post)).

Yeah almost there. Thanks again

"Dale" wrote:

> It's amazing that you found several posts about the problem and didn't find
> any about resetting your library. It's a very common topic. Rename your
> library database folder following the steps at
> http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html#medialibrary.
>
> Dale
>
> "ML_S" <MLS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsB033823-9ACB-4539-9724-AC3CE8967BB6@microsoft.com...
> > OK
> >
> > Lets hope this can be fixed. Ulitmate is alot of money but at the moment I
> > had more time for XP!!!
> >
> > There have been several posts re-this but NO FIXES..COME ON MICROSOFT.
> >
> > PROBLEM: As I believe many did when I installed ULTIMATE my media library
> > stoppped working as I couldn't get access to it via the old XP
> > folder....managed to get a work around and have now managed to transfer
> > all
> > my music to the new Vista MUSIC folder.
> >
> > However, Media Player and MCE will STILL not allow me to play them via the
> > library. AND I CAN'T DELETE IT!!!!!
> >
> > How do I reset the library in both MP11 and MCE to check the new fil es in
> > the NEW FOLDER.
> >
> > YES I have tried all the various deletes and NOTHING happens. The library
> > will not delete.
> >
> > MY iTUNES has transfered ove fine but apparently MP11 & MCE still appear
> > be looking in the old location.
> >
> > Please help before I regret upgrading.

Dale

Re: CAn't delete LIBRARY in ULTIMATE Media Player 11
Rather than deleting the file, you need to rename the folder those files
are in. Apparently, and I am only guessing from the behavior, WMP decides
you have a library just by the existence of the folder. It seems pretty
flawed to me, but it really does do better if you rename the folder rather
than just delete the contents of the folder.

Hopefully, that will let you start adding your music again.

Dlae

> Mant thanks to DAle.
>
> Not being a techno head it took me a few minutes to get my head round.
> Eventuallty I opened said file up , deleted contents and resaved and
> rebooted. and Lo! clear library.
>
> Thank you.......trouble is now I don't seem to be ale to add those folders
> in MUSIC. Any Ideas??
>
> (So only the problem conectingly wireless to the internet and I'm happy !!
> (see seperate post)).
>
> Yeah almost there. Thanks again
>
> "Dale" wrote:
>
>> It's amazing that you found several posts about the problem and didn't
>> find
>> any about resetting your library. It's a very common topic. Rename your
>> library database folder following the steps at
>> http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html#medialibrary.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> "ML_S" <MLS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsB033823-9ACB-4539-9724-AC3CE8967BB6@microsoft.com...
>> > OK
>> >
>> > Lets hope this can be fixed. Ulitmate is alot of money but at the
>> > moment I
>> > had more time for XP!!!
>> >
>> > There have been several posts re-this but NO FIXES..COME ON MICROSOFT.
>> >
>> > PROBLEM: As I believe many did when I installed ULTIMATE my media
>> > library
>> > stoppped working as I couldn't get access to it via the old XP
>> > folder....managed to get a work around and have now managed to transfer
>> > all
>> > my music to the new Vista MUSIC folder.
>> >
>> > However, Media Player and MCE will STILL not allow me to play them via
>> > the
>> > library. AND I CAN'T DELETE IT!!!!!
>> >
>> > How do I reset the library in both MP11 and MCE to check the new fil es
>> > in
>> > the NEW FOLDER.
>> >
>> > YES I have tried all the various deletes and NOTHING happens. The
>> > library
>> > will not delete.
>> >
>> > MY iTUNES has transfered ove fine but apparently MP11 & MCE still
>> > appear
>> > be looking in the old location.
>> >
>> > Please help before I regret upgrading.

=?Utf-8?B?TUxfUw==?=

Re: CAn't delete LIBRARY in ULTIMATE Media Player 11
Many thanks to Dale yet again...the link he posted was most useful.

I admit I did i in a slightly different way thanhe suggests. I did what the
link sugested. Copied over a 'clean' library from a seperate administrator
account. Works perfectly.

Thans again

"Dale" wrote:

> Rather than deleting the file, you need to rename the folder those files
> are in. Apparently, and I am only guessing from the behavior, WMP decides
> you have a library just by the existence of the folder. It seems pretty
> flawed to me, but it really does do better if you rename the folder rather
> than just delete the contents of the folder.
>
> Hopefully, that will let you start adding your music again.
>
> Dlae
>
> "ML_S" <MLS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Mant thanks to DAle.
> >
> > Not being a techno head it took me a few minutes to get my head round.
> > Eventuallty I opened said file up , deleted contents and resaved and
> > rebooted. and Lo! clear library.
> >
> > Thank you.......trouble is now I don't seem to be ale to add those folders
> > in MUSIC. Any Ideas??
> >
> > (So only the problem conectingly wireless to the internet and I'm happy !!
> > (see seperate post)).
> >
> > Yeah almost there. Thanks again
> >
> > "Dale" wrote:
> >
> >> It's amazing that you found several posts about the problem and didn't
> >> find
> >> any about resetting your library. It's a very common topic. Rename your
> >> library database folder following the steps at
> >> http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html#medialibrary.
> >>
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> "ML_S" <MLS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> newsB033823-9ACB-4539-9724-AC3CE8967BB6@microsoft.com...

Dale

Re: CAn't delete LIBRARY in ULTIMATE Media Player 11
Yeah, you did it one way to get it done but had you let WMP handle it, it
would have created the clean library for you.

Either way, if it works for you.

> Many thanks to Dale yet again...the link he posted was most useful.
>
> I admit I did i in a slightly different way thanhe suggests. I did what
> the
> link sugested. Copied over a 'clean' library from a seperate administrator
> account. Works perfectly.
>
> Thans again
>
> "Dale" wrote:
>
>> Rather than deleting the file, you need to rename the folder those files
>> are in. Apparently, and I am only guessing from the behavior, WMP
>> decides
>> you have a library just by the existence of the folder. It seems pretty
>> flawed to me, but it really does do better if you rename the folder
>> rather
>> than just delete the contents of the folder.
>>
>> Hopefully, that will let you start adding your music again.
>>
>> Dlae
>>
>> "ML_S" <MLS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Mant thanks to DAle.
>> >
>> > Not being a techno head it took me a few minutes to get my head round.
>> > Eventuallty I opened said file up , deleted contents and resaved and
>> > rebooted. and Lo! clear library.
>> >
>> > Thank you.......trouble is now I don't seem to be ale to add those
>> > folders
>> > in MUSIC. Any Ideas??
>> >
>> > (So only the problem conectingly wireless to the internet and I'm happy
>> > !!
>> > (see seperate post)).
>> >
>> > Yeah almost there. Thanks again

zachd [MSFT]

Re: CAn't delete LIBRARY in ULTIMATE Media Player 11

Renaming the folder is just simpler overall and isn't actually necessary.
But WMP11 does all sorts of caching of the library for speed reasons, and so
you need to be sure you clear out the applicable corrupted caches. Renaming
the folder is simply the simpler way: if people wanted to spend the time to
clear out the WMDB and the appropriate library caches, they could do that.
But for Internet consumption, "rename the folder" is just the way way way
simple summary. =)

Making huge assumptions, you could probably rename just
CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb and LocalMLS_0.wmdb (assuming a music view only
corruption), but ... eh, the Big Magic Pill One Stop Solution seems to be
superior for the novice user, and avoids needing to step through checking
each library cache for corruption.

--
Speaking for myself only.