Degenerate Sound Quality

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ciBNYWxpaw==?=

Degenerate Sound Quality
Hello,
I am running Windows Vista Business (32bit, clean install) and have serious
problems with sounds.
When playing a song or a video for some time (usually ~3-4 minutes) the
sound suddenly becomes very degenerate. It sort of slows down and sounds like
an old radio with bad signal... Subsequently all sounds, including system
sounds are affected in the same way. The only way how to stop this is to
switch off the application (say, WMP) and start again. However in 3-4
minutes, the problem is back.
I should point out that it happens no matter what media player I use, no
matter what output device I use (headphones/speakers) and no matter what I
play (it happens even if it is a Channel 9 video).
It almost seems like DRM kicks in when it shouldn't (I actually don't have
any protected media content)...

My Computer:
ASUS A4BOOK
CPU: AMD Mobile Athlon 64, 3000+
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
RAM: 2.0GB

AUDIO: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface (driver version:
6.14.457.0 - from Windows Update)

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...pictures_video
Jeff

Re: Degenerate Sound Quality
I can't find hardly any information about your notebook. Since it's Athlon
64, I would bet it's about 3-4 years old. I don't have a notebook but I had
to upgrade my ASUS Athlon64 motherboard because nvidia chose not to support
nForce1 and nForce2 chipsets for Vista. I had the same problem you did
before my upgrade. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but you may
want to try nvidia's website and look for some different drivers.

"Petr Malik" <Petr Malik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am running Windows Vista Business (32bit, clean install) and have
> serious
> problems with sounds.
> When playing a song or a video for some time (usually ~3-4 minutes) the
> sound suddenly becomes very degenerate. It sort of slows down and sounds
> like
> an old radio with bad signal... Subsequently all sounds, including system
> sounds are affected in the same way. The only way how to stop this is to
> switch off the application (say, WMP) and start again. However in 3-4
> minutes, the problem is back.
> I should point out that it happens no matter what media player I use, no
> matter what output device I use (headphones/speakers) and no matter what I
> play (it happens even if it is a Channel 9 video).
> It almost seems like DRM kicks in when it shouldn't (I actually don't have
> any protected media content)...
>
> My Computer:
> ASUS A4BOOK
> CPU: AMD Mobile Athlon 64, 3000+
> GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
> RAM: 2.0GB
>
> AUDIO: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface (driver version:
> 6.14.457.0 - from Windows Update)
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...pictures_video

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ciBNYWxpaw==?=

Re: Degenerate Sound Quality
Thanks for response,
It is actually ~2 years old, but more importantly I didn't encounter this
problem in Beta 2, RC1, RC2 (64bit)...
When it comes to nVidia, they have some audio drivers for XP/2000

"Jeff" wrote:

> I can't find hardly any information about your notebook. Since it's Athlon
> 64, I would bet it's about 3-4 years old. I don't have a notebook but I had
> to upgrade my ASUS Athlon64 motherboard because nvidia chose not to support
> nForce1 and nForce2 chipsets for Vista. I had the same problem you did
> before my upgrade. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but you may
> want to try nvidia's website and look for some different drivers.
>

> "Petr Malik" <Petr Malik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I am running Windows Vista Business (32bit, clean install) and have
> > serious
> > problems with sounds.
> > When playing a song or a video for some time (usually ~3-4 minutes) the
> > sound suddenly becomes very degenerate. It sort of slows down and sounds
> > like
> > an old radio with bad signal... Subsequently all sounds, including system
> > sounds are affected in the same way. The only way how to stop this is to
> > switch off the application (say, WMP) and start again. However in 3-4
> > minutes, the problem is back.
> > I should point out that it happens no matter what media player I use, no
> > matter what output device I use (headphones/speakers) and no matter what I
> > play (it happens even if it is a Channel 9 video).
> > It almost seems like DRM kicks in when it shouldn't (I actually don't have
> > any protected media content)...
> >
> > My Computer:
> > ASUS A4BOOK
> > CPU: AMD Mobile Athlon 64, 3000+
> > GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
> > RAM: 2.0GB
> >
> > AUDIO: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface (driver version:
> > 6.14.457.0 - from Windows Update)
> >
> > ----------------
> > this
> >
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...pictures_video

Jeff

Re: Degenerate Sound Quality
Hmm. Maybe it's a codec problem.

> Thanks for response,
> It is actually ~2 years old, but more importantly I didn't encounter this
> problem in Beta 2, RC1, RC2 (64bit)...
> When it comes to nVidia, they have some audio drivers for XP/2000
>
> "Jeff" wrote:
>
>> I can't find hardly any information about your notebook. Since it's
>> Athlon
>> 64, I would bet it's about 3-4 years old. I don't have a notebook but I
>> had
>> to upgrade my ASUS Athlon64 motherboard because nvidia chose not to
>> support
>> nForce1 and nForce2 chipsets for Vista. I had the same problem you did
>> before my upgrade. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but you may
>> want to try nvidia's website and look for some different drivers.
>>

>> "Petr Malik" <Petr Malik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> > I am running Windows Vista Business (32bit, clean install) and have
>> > serious
>> > problems with sounds.
>> > When playing a song or a video for some time (usually ~3-4 minutes) the
>> > sound suddenly becomes very degenerate. It sort of slows down and
>> > sounds
>> > like
>> > an old radio with bad signal... Subsequently all sounds, including
>> > system
>> > sounds are affected in the same way. The only way how to stop this is
>> > switch off the application (say, WMP) and start again. However in 3-4
>> > minutes, the problem is back.
>> > I should point out that it happens no matter what media player I use,
>> > no
>> > matter what output device I use (headphones/speakers) and no matter
>> > what I
>> > play (it happens even if it is a Channel 9 video).
>> > It almost seems like DRM kicks in when it shouldn't (I actually don't
>> > have
>> > any protected media content)...
>> >
>> > My Computer:
>> > ASUS A4BOOK
>> > CPU: AMD Mobile Athlon 64, 3000+
>> > GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
>> > RAM: 2.0GB
>> >
>> > AUDIO: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface (driver version:
>> > 6.14.457.0 - from Windows Update)
>> >
>> > ----------------
>> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>> > "I
>> > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>> > this
>> > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
>> > then
>> > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>> >
>> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...pictures_video

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ciBNYWxpaw==?=

Re: Degenerate Sound Quality
I tried to reinstall codecs (K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.65) without any effect...

"Jeff" wrote:

> Hmm. Maybe it's a codec problem.
>
> "Petr Malik" <PetrMalik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for response,
> > It is actually ~2 years old, but more importantly I didn't encounter this
> > problem in Beta 2, RC1, RC2 (64bit)...
> > When it comes to nVidia, they have some audio drivers for XP/2000
> >
> > "Jeff" wrote:
> >
> >> I can't find hardly any information about your notebook. Since it's
> >> Athlon
> >> 64, I would bet it's about 3-4 years old. I don't have a notebook but I
> >> had
> >> to upgrade my ASUS Athlon64 motherboard because nvidia chose not to
> >> support
> >> nForce1 and nForce2 chipsets for Vista. I had the same problem you did
> >> before my upgrade. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but you may
> >> want to try nvidia's website and look for some different drivers.

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ciBNYWxpaw==?=

RE: Degenerate Sound Quality
Problem solved [with help of MS Support - ]. The driver which is
automatically downloaded from Windows Update (6.14.457.0) is apparently not
fully compatible with the 32bit Windows Vista.
The problem was solved by installing an updated NVIDIA nForce3 Audio driver
for 32bit Vista (6.14.464.0) from NVIDIA official site.

"Petr Malik" wrote:

> Hello,
> I am running Windows Vista Business (32bit, clean install) and have serious
> problems with sounds.
> When playing a song or a video for some time (usually ~3-4 minutes) the
> sound suddenly becomes very degenerate. It sort of slows down and sounds like
> an old radio with bad signal... Subsequently all sounds, including system
> sounds are affected in the same way. The only way how to stop this is to
> switch off the application (say, WMP) and start again. However in 3-4
> minutes, the problem is back.
> I should point out that it happens no matter what media player I use, no
> matter what output device I use (headphones/speakers) and no matter what I
> play (it happens even if it is a Channel 9 video).
> It almost seems like DRM kicks in when it shouldn't (I actually don't have
> any protected media content)...
>
> My Computer:
> ASUS A4BOOK
> CPU: AMD Mobile Athlon 64, 3000+
> GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
> RAM: 2.0GB
>
> AUDIO: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface (driver version:
> 6.14.457.0 - from Windows Update)

> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...pictures_video

Jeff