Vista Media Center Not Working - Help!

roykop

Vista Media Center Not Working - Help!
Hope someone can help here:

I have Vista Home premium and Media Center has stopped working. It doesn't
seem to respond to the program icon - I sometimes get the equivalent of the
hour glass for about a second and then nothing.

I noticed at the same time that I now get a pop up that appears two or three
times a day which says "Windows Media Center Store Update Manager stopped
working and was closed".

This is a new Dell 9200, so I rang them and they just told me to keep doing
system recoveries until it works again. Anyway, went back 5 days, it still
doesn't work.

Cheers, John

=?Utf-8?B?QmFkIE1vb24=?=

RE: Vista Media Center Not Working - Help!
I have Vista Ultimate and I receive the same pop up window and error. This
happens on a random basis but is quite annoying. I think this is one of the
many bugs we will have to live with until Microsoft give us SP1.

"JT"

"roykop" wrote:

> Hope someone can help here:
>
> I have Vista Home premium and Media Center has stopped working. It doesn't
> seem to respond to the program icon - I sometimes get the equivalent of the
> hour glass for about a second and then nothing.
>
> I noticed at the same time that I now get a pop up that appears two or three
> times a day which says "Windows Media Center Store Update Manager stopped
> working and was closed".
>
> This is a new Dell 9200, so I rang them and they just told me to keep doing
> system recoveries until it works again. Anyway, went back 5 days, it still
> doesn't work.
>
> Any help or advice would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers, John

=?Utf-8?B?R29yZG9u?=

RE: Vista Media Center Not Working - Help!
I have been getting an error with the media center when I try to play a dvd
or mpep file, it closes before it gets going. I have received the following
information in the 'problem reports'

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: wmplayer.exe
Application Version: 11.0.6000.6324
Application Timestamp: 4549b52a
Fault Module Name: StackHash_9968
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000af1c9
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 9968
Additional Information 2: ca7ac73204fd88b5099ccc630218df8f
Additional Information 3: 859b
Additional Information 4: d1f9ad653b53a311612355e83f436acd

Any guidance or help would be much appreciated

Thanks
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Vista Media Center Not Working - Help!

Do you get the chance to send up an error report?
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#bucket

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Bad Moon" <Bad Moon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news314822B-F95E-4B89-BE76-AF2ED2E923BF@microsoft.com...
>I have Vista Ultimate and I receive the same pop up window and error. This
> happens on a random basis but is quite annoying. I think this is one of
> the
> many bugs we will have to live with until Microsoft give us SP1.
>
> "JT"
>
> "roykop" wrote:
>
>> Hope someone can help here:
>>
>> I have Vista Home premium and Media Center has stopped working. It
>> doesn't
>> seem to respond to the program icon - I sometimes get the equivalent of
>> the
>> hour glass for about a second and then nothing.
>>
>> I noticed at the same time that I now get a pop up that appears two or
>> three
>> times a day which says "Windows Media Center Store Update Manager stopped
>> working and was closed".
>>
>> This is a new Dell 9200, so I rang them and they just told me to keep
>> doing
>> system recoveries until it works again. Anyway, went back 5 days, it
>> still
>> doesn't work.
>>
>> Any help or advice would be appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers, John

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Vista Media Center Not Working - Help!

Is the file "mmswitch.ax" on your system?
Did you at some point install a codec pack on your system?

-Zach
--
Speaking for myself only.
"Gordon" <Gordon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been getting an error with the media center when I try to play a dvd
> or mpep file, it closes before it gets going. I have received the
> following
> information in the 'problem reports'
>
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: wmplayer.exe
> Application Version: 11.0.6000.6324
> Application Timestamp: 4549b52a
> Fault Module Name: StackHash_9968
> Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
> Exception Code: c0000374
> Exception Offset: 000af1c9
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
> Locale ID: 2057
> Additional Information 1: 9968
> Additional Information 2: ca7ac73204fd88b5099ccc630218df8f
> Additional Information 3: 859b
> Additional Information 4: d1f9ad653b53a311612355e83f436acd
>
> Any guidance or help would be much appreciated
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?R29yZG9u?=

Re: Vista Media Center Not Working - Help!
Yes I did install some codecs, so that might be the problem. Is there any way
that I can correct the damage or if necessary re-install the media center as
a download from the internet.....Open to suggestions
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Vista Media Center Not Working - Help!

Which one did you install?

You should have mmswitch.ax on your system - that is a third party piece of
codec that does not work very well. If you can uninstall that, do that.

If no uninstall is available:
Go to the Start:Run prompt by pressing (WindowsKey)+R.
type "cmd.exe" and then hit CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
Click OK to run as Admin.
Enter:
regsvr32 /u mmswitch.ax
in the cmd.exe prompt

If that doesn't work, find mmswitch.ax on your system and give the exact
path to the file as the parameter to "regsvr32 /u".

Or you can just rename "mmswitch.ax" on your system to "mmswitch.ax.bad".
That would fix your problem.

I'll link up that crash bucket to the "MMSwitch is broken: remove this"
response. That should be active in the next day or so. Thanks very much
for helping identify this.

-Zach