4 monitors ok, 5 monitors crashes media player, all video apps

Harry Coin

4 monitors ok, 5 monitors crashes media player, all video apps
On Windows Vista Premium (DirectX 10), applications such as Windows Media
Player 11, and the performance ' Windows Experience Index ' aspects that test
graphics ( WinSAT ? ) crash every time when there are 5 monitors enabled or
more. They all work fine when using any number less than 4. Of the seven
monitors connected to 4 graphics boards, the system works well with any four
of the seven and it always crashes video display applications when adding any
one or more of the remaining three. Monitors that crash Windows Media
Player 11 when added as the fifth monitor will work well when that same
monitor is one of only four.

It crashes the moment the video is to begin playing. Except for displaying
video, 7 monitors all work properly at high resolutions.

The system's graphics have 2 NVidia GEForce 8600's, and 2 NVidia GEForce
6200 boards. It does not matter which of NVidia's drivers are loaded,
whether WHQL, latest release or Betas. 32 bit or 16 bit pixel color depth.
Same symptoms.

To help the search engines:

Fifth monitor 5th monitor fifth screen 5th screen multi-headed
multi-adapter

I've downloaded such related hotfixes as I could find, no change.

Is there a registry setting change I can make? The system is supposed to be
a high volume video editing workstation. The user has a hard time accepting
why all seven monitors appear to work, but when it's time to actually use
Vista for what it supposed to be used for, three of the seven monitors have
to be disabled.

Help!

Harry Coin
Industrial / Military device drivers
N4 Communications
Bettendorf, Iowa

malkymoo is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
similar problem
Harry,

I am setting up a multi touchscreen monitor system for work using FSX. We initially were using a computer with 7 PCI video cards and using FS9. All good. We want to use 6 of these systems using fsx (for the comms side of things). It all worked fine using 2 8800GTS to give 4 outputs. Today I put in a 3rd 8800GTS and when I place a panel on the 5th monitor FSX CTD. I am using one of those new MSI 4 x PCIe motherboards, 4 gig RAM and AMD2 64 bit 5600+ processor. I initially tried XP64 but there weren't enough drivers, then Vista 64 and it was unstable, then the LONGHORN demo (which was good but that was using an NVS 400 and 8800GTS)and am now using XP32. Our touchscreens aren't supported under Vista. Tried triple head2go but touchscreens won't work with that. I don't think it is just a vista problem.

Level-D Forums: Multi touch screen

Malky

tcarste is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: similar problem
I'm having exactly the same issue. When I activate the 5th and/or 6th monitor via windows, Windows Media Player (WMP) 11 crashes and blue screens no matter what drivers I use. Totally stable when I only use 4 monitors. Running 2 x nVIDIA GeForcee 7600GS 256MB (ePCI) and 1 x nVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MB (PCI).

The only fix I found was to use Windows Media Player Classic edition and the codecs which I found reading various forums. Still not 100% stable and reboots at least once a day with a stop 124 error, but at least I have a video player that works 95% of the time without a reboot or blue screen.

I just which someone with from nVidia or Microsoft would have tested this out with more then 4 monitors.

Anyone have any additional thoughts or additional ideas?
zachd [MSFT]

Re: 4 monitors ok, 5 monitors crashes media player, all video apps

You want this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950489

--
Speaking for myself only.