DRM & Transfer Music Files

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmVT?=

DRM & Transfer Music Files
I have just built a new computer. I transfered my music files from my old
computer to my new Vista system. When I try to play songs which I purchased
online, legally, the system says I do not have "rights" to play the song.
What can I do to restore the "rights"
Jerry

Re: DRM & Transfer Music Files
Go to the online shop where they were bought and copy them back to your hard
drive.

"Jerry" wrote:

> Go to the online shop where they were bought and copy them back to your hard
> drive.

Tried that and it cost me another 99 cents. I did find that if I burn the
songs to a CDand then rip them to the new system, it seems to work. Sure am
glad most of my songs were ripped of the CDs.
Jerry

Re: DRM & Transfer Music Files

> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> Go to the online shop where they were bought and copy them back to your
>> hard
>> drive.
>>

> Tried that and it cost me another 99 cents. I did find that if I burn the
> songs to a CDand then rip them to the new system, it seems to work. Sure
> am
> glad most of my songs were ripped of the CDs.

Thats not good you had to do that kinda makes yous wonder if its worth
buying legal downloads. I don't often agree with Steve Jobs but what he said
about getting rid of DRM is spot on, even though he has his own personal
agenda.

Jerry

Paul Smith

Re: DRM & Transfer Music Files
"Jerry" <jerry@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Thats not good you had to do that kinda makes yous wonder if its worth
> buying legal downloads. I don't often agree with Steve Jobs but what he
> said about getting rid of DRM is spot on, even though he has his own
> personal agenda.

I wouldn't buy anything with DRM on it, especially music. If there's
something I want I'll buy the CD version and rip it, from which it will go
onto my server in lossless quality to be spread around the house.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Jerry

Re: DRM & Transfer Music Files

>> Thats not good you had to do that kinda makes yous wonder if its worth
>> buying legal downloads. I don't often agree with Steve Jobs but what he
>> said about getting rid of DRM is spot on, even though he has his own
>> personal agenda.

> I wouldn't buy anything with DRM on it, especially music. If there's
> something I want I'll buy the CD version and rip it, from which it will go
> onto my server in lossless quality to be spread around the house.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Thats fine until its just one track you may want in which case Napster et al
is very handy. In fairness to Napster each time I have had to redownload my
track they just add a download flag to my account and away a go. However
soem artist remove their work and its then gone which should be illegal.

Dale

Re: DRM & Transfer Music Files

"SteveS" <SteveS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> Go to the online shop where they were bought and copy them back to your
>> hard
>> drive.
>>

> Tried that and it cost me another 99 cents. I did find that if I burn the
> songs to a CDand then rip them to the new system, it seems to work. Sure
> am
> glad most of my songs were ripped of the CDs.

You lose a lot of quality taking an WMA to a CD and then back to MP3 or WMA.
Looks like you see the obvious lesson. Don't use WMA and don't buy music
online - except to buy the CD from Amazon.

>>> Thats not good you had to do that kinda makes yous wonder if its worth
>>> buying legal downloads. I don't often agree with Steve Jobs but what he
>>> said about getting rid of DRM is spot on, even though he has his own
>>> personal agenda.

>> I wouldn't buy anything with DRM on it, especially music. If there's
>> something I want I'll buy the CD version and rip it, from which it will
>> go onto my server in lossless quality to be spread around the house.
>>
>> --
>> Paul Smith,
>> Yeovil, UK.
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
>> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>>
>> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

> Thats fine until its just one track you may want in which case Napster et
> al is very handy. In fairness to Napster each time I have had to
> redownload my track they just add a download flag to my account and away a
> go. However soem artist remove their work and its then gone which should
> be illegal.

What happens when Napster goes out of business? Or signs another deal with
the record companies that protects them and throws their customers to the
wolves? You think they're too big to go out of business? Microsoft shut
down MSN Music. Napster isn't bigger than Microsoft. Currently, at least
I've been told, Microsoft still maintains the MSN Music license servers but
for how long? 5 years? Perhaps. 10 years? Probably not. 20 years? Not
a chance.

Soon, all MSN Music downloads will quit working. All those millions of
dollars spent down the tubes.

The day will come, I believe, that the same will be said of all online
downloads including Napster.

Let alone the fact that Napster has such a bad reputation because they
turned their backs on their customers in the interest of a deal with the
record companies and the whole purpose they originally came into existence
was to spread spyware and malware. Media sharing was just the enabling
tool. Media was never their business model.

Dale

Jerry

Re: DRM & Transfer Music Files

"Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message

> "SteveS" <SteveS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Jerry" wrote:
>>
>>> Go to the online shop where they were bought and copy them back to your
>>> hard
>>> drive.
>>>

>> Tried that and it cost me another 99 cents. I did find that if I burn the
>> songs to a CDand then rip them to the new system, it seems to work. Sure
>> am
>> glad most of my songs were ripped of the CDs.

> You lose a lot of quality taking an WMA to a CD and then back to MP3 or
> WMA. Looks like you see the obvious lesson. Don't use WMA and don't buy
> music online - except to buy the CD from Amazon.

Agree with large parts of your comments Dale but I think the reality of the
situation is that online music in one form another is here to stay.

Jerry

> "Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message
>>
>> "SteveS" <SteveS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Tried that and it cost me another 99 cents. I did find that if I burn
>>> the
>>> songs to a CDand then rip them to the new system, it seems to work. Sure
>>> am
>>> glad most of my songs were ripped of the CDs.

>> You lose a lot of quality taking an WMA to a CD and then back to MP3 or
>> WMA. Looks like you see the obvious lesson. Don't use WMA and don't buy
>> music online - except to buy the CD from Amazon.

> Agree with large parts of your comments Dale but I think the reality of
> the situation is that online music in one form another is here to stay.
>
> Jerry

I agree it is here to stay. That's why it is so important to get the CDs
now while you can. And to rip the CDs to your PC before the ability to use
MP3 goes away. And to make backup copies of your CDs for archival purposes.
Because your access to the online music you purchased will always be
subjected to the whim and fortunes of the RIAA and the online provider.
With a keystroke, they can take it all away from you.

Dale