Why no Extender?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2luZHk=?=

Why no Extender?
I'm a little frustrated that I can't use an extender with Vista. I don't use
XBox and don't plan to, but I would like to use an extender for my media
playback. Why hasn't this been addressed and when can I expect to see an
extender available from either Lnksys, HP or ?
JW

Re: Why no Extender?
It is rumored that some Vista MC extenders will be announced at a Consumer
or Home electronics show scheduled for next Month or at the CEBIT show in
Germany also scheduled for next month.
I was surprised that I did not see any anouncements by any of the TV
manufacturer at CES2007 of new TVs with built in MC extenders which MS was
promoting as a possibility last year. There appear to be other "extender"
solutions coming to market now that do not require Media Center and these
may be a better solution for extending content from PCs or the net directly
to TV systems.
Also the Windows Home Server announced by BG at CES2007 appears to be a
better solution and I expect that it just might replace MC extenders as we
know them today.

"Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm a little frustrated that I can't use an extender with Vista. I don't
> use
> XBox and don't plan to, but I would like to use an extender for my media
> playback. Why hasn't this been addressed and when can I expect to see an
> extender available from either Lnksys, HP or ?

scottvk

Re: Why no Extender?

I agree with Cindy. Those 1st generation MCXs were very expensive and I
am shocked that MS has not made Vista Center backwards compatible with
them - hopefully they will or maybe a 3rd party will write an app that
will work. There has to be a lot of them out there if you also include
the prior version of X-box extenders.

--
scottvk
=?Utf-8?B?Q2luZHk=?=

Re: Why no Extender?
I just think that MS needs to work on making us more aware of what's going on
with this. How can they bring out a new product that completely obsoletes
technology that's not very old. Makes me very hesitant to go 'all in' with
any new extenders for Vista.

I'd be interested to know more about the other options for extenders.
Although I would still like to continue using Media Center as that is how my
media is stored, arranged, and played.

"JW" wrote:

> It is rumored that some Vista MC extenders will be announced at a Consumer
> or Home electronics show scheduled for next Month or at the CEBIT show in
> Germany also scheduled for next month.
> I was surprised that I did not see any anouncements by any of the TV
> manufacturer at CES2007 of new TVs with built in MC extenders which MS was
> promoting as a possibility last year. There appear to be other "extender"
> solutions coming to market now that do not require Media Center and these
> may be a better solution for extending content from PCs or the net directly
> to TV systems.
> Also the Windows Home Server announced by BG at CES2007 appears to be a
> better solution and I expect that it just might replace MC extenders as we
> know them today.
>
> "Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm a little frustrated that I can't use an extender with Vista. I don't
> > use
> > XBox and don't plan to, but I would like to use an extender for my media
> > playback. Why hasn't this been addressed and when can I expect to see an
> > extender available from either Lnksys, HP or ?

JW

Re: Why no Extender?
I feel quite comfortable with MC not going away. I do however feel that
users want to use their TV displays to access everything on the internet and
on their Home PCs and not just the subset of features available via MC.
>I just think that MS needs to work on making us more aware of what's going
>on
> with this. How can they bring out a new product that completely obsoletes
> technology that's not very old. Makes me very hesitant to go 'all in' with
> any new extenders for Vista.
>
> I'd be interested to know more about the other options for extenders.
> Although I would still like to continue using Media Center as that is how
> my
> media is stored, arranged, and played.
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> It is rumored that some Vista MC extenders will be announced at a
>> Consumer
>> or Home electronics show scheduled for next Month or at the CEBIT show in
>> Germany also scheduled for next month.
>> I was surprised that I did not see any anouncements by any of the TV
>> manufacturer at CES2007 of new TVs with built in MC extenders which MS
>> was
>> promoting as a possibility last year. There appear to be other
>> "extender"
>> solutions coming to market now that do not require Media Center and these
>> may be a better solution for extending content from PCs or the net
>> directly
>> to TV systems.
>> Also the Windows Home Server announced by BG at CES2007 appears to be a
>> better solution and I expect that it just might replace MC extenders as
>> we
>> know them today.
>>
>> "Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm a little frustrated that I can't use an extender with Vista. I
>> > don't
>> > use
>> > XBox and don't plan to, but I would like to use an extender for my
>> > media
>> > playback. Why hasn't this been addressed and when can I expect to see
>> > an
>> > extender available from either Lnksys, HP or ?

=?Utf-8?B?emFyYmlrZXI=?=

Re: Why no Extender?
I also was frustrated by news of the planned obsolescense of the XBOX V1
on Vista. I have several XBOX's which serve primarily as extenders via MCE
2005. I wanted to run Vista as my main OS on my PC but still make use of the
old XBOX's. I decided to try running MCE 2005 in a virtual machine managed
by Virtual PC 2007 running under Vista and see how far I could get.
The bad news is that there is no TV tuner support in Virtual PC. So no
streaming live TV. The good news is that everything else seems to work fine.
I can view photos, play all my music and watch all my videos while running
Vista!. All of those features just need good IP network support which
Virtual PC apparently provides quite well. So I don't have to throw out all
the XBOX's quite yet. I can still sqeeze a little more out of them with
Vista.
--
zarbiker

"JW" wrote:

> I feel quite comfortable with MC not going away. I do however feel that
> users want to use their TV displays to access everything on the internet and
> on their Home PCs and not just the subset of features available via MC.
> "Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just think that MS needs to work on making us more aware of what's going
> >on
> > with this. How can they bring out a new product that completely obsoletes
> > technology that's not very old. Makes me very hesitant to go 'all in' with
> > any new extenders for Vista.
> >
> > I'd be interested to know more about the other options for extenders.
> > Although I would still like to continue using Media Center as that is how
> > my
> > media is stored, arranged, and played.
> >
> > "JW" wrote:
> >
> >> It is rumored that some Vista MC extenders will be announced at a
> >> Consumer
> >> or Home electronics show scheduled for next Month or at the CEBIT show in
> >> Germany also scheduled for next month.
> >> I was surprised that I did not see any anouncements by any of the TV
> >> manufacturer at CES2007 of new TVs with built in MC extenders which MS
> >> was
> >> promoting as a possibility last year. There appear to be other
> >> "extender"
> >> solutions coming to market now that do not require Media Center and these
> >> may be a better solution for extending content from PCs or the net
> >> directly
> >> to TV systems.
> >> Also the Windows Home Server announced by BG at CES2007 appears to be a
> >> better solution and I expect that it just might replace MC extenders as
> >> we
> >> know them today.

Dale

Re: Why no Extender?
Sucks, doesn't it? You think you have it bad? I am still trying to get
Aero to work on my VT100.

Dale