WMP11 slow with certain video files under Vista

Mark Veldhuis

WMP11 slow with certain video files under Vista
Hi,

Running WMP11 under Windows Vista Ultimate (RTM).
Display Adapter is a NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE Turbocache. It has the latest
drivers, acquired via Windows Update.
When playing certain video files, the video because laggy and bumpy when
switching to full-screen (ALT-Enter). Video and audio are out of sync.
The problem goes away when I switch back to "windowed" mode.
It occurs with .wmv files mostly, and also with recorded TV (recorded
in Mecia Center). These files play without any problems in Media Player
Classic and VLC Media Player, also full-screen. AVI files seem fine...
Id' really like to use WMP11 for everything, but this problem forces me
to use other players for the troublesome file types.
Any ideas about how to solve this annoyance?
Thanks!

Kind regards,
Mark Veldhuis.
Mark Veldhuis

Re: WMP11 slow with certain video files under Vista
Anyone with tips or suggestions, please?

In article <MPG.2043e1a9b862d972989690@msnews.microsoft.com >,
me@privacy.invalid says...
> Hi,
>
> Running WMP11 under Windows Vista Ultimate (RTM).
> Display Adapter is a NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE Turbocache. It has the latest
> drivers, acquired via Windows Update.
> When playing certain video files, the video because laggy and bumpy when
> switching to full-screen (ALT-Enter). Video and audio are out of sync.
> The problem goes away when I switch back to "windowed" mode.
> It occurs with .wmv files mostly, and also with recorded TV (recorded
> in Mecia Center). These files play without any problems in Media Player
> Classic and VLC Media Player, also full-screen. AVI files seem fine...
> Id' really like to use WMP11 for everything, but this problem forces me
> to use other players for the troublesome file types.
> Any ideas about how to solve this annoyance?
> Thanks!
>

> Kind regards,
> Mark Veldhuis.

=?Utf-8?B?TmF0aGFu?=

RE: WMP11 slow with certain video files under Vista
From what I can ascertain, it comes down to the process "mfpmp.exe" as shown
in the "task manager" when viewing "DRM"-capable files (more specifically for
me, "wmv" and "wma" files, even though mine are not drm protected).

It is Microsoft's "Media Foundation Protected Pipeline" that I guess does
otf decoding/encoding of drm-capable files. For me, wmvs can cause it to
consume 40-50% of my 3GHz cpu.

We're not alone with this, however I have yet to see any Microsoft response
to this significant issue and there is a lot of anger brewing in the
community over this faux-pas.

Nathan

"Mark Veldhuis" wrote:
> Running WMP11 under Windows Vista Ultimate (RTM).
> Display Adapter is a NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE Turbocache. It has the latest
> drivers, acquired via Windows Update.
> When playing certain video files, the video because laggy and bumpy when
> switching to full-screen (ALT-Enter). Video and audio are out of sync.
> The problem goes away when I switch back to "windowed" mode.
> It occurs with .wmv files mostly, and also with recorded TV (recorded
> in Mecia Center). These files play without any problems in Media Player
> Classic and VLC Media Player, also full-screen. AVI files seem fine...
> Id' really like to use WMP11 for everything, but this problem forces me
> to use other players for the troublesome file types.
> Any ideas about how to solve this annoyance?

Mark Veldhuis

RE: WMP11 slow with certain video files under Vista
Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your reply.

In article <04E711F1-45F0-4B99-8D46-7B7F03F64930@microsoft.com>,
Nathan@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> From what I can ascertain, it comes down to the process "mfpmp.exe" as shown
> in the "task manager" when viewing "DRM"-capable files (more specifically for
> me, "wmv" and "wma" files, even though mine are not drm protected).

Yes, that process seems to be the culprit. However, there's a few things
I don't understand.

1) Why does the problem only occur when I switch Media Player to full-
screen (ALT+Enter)? When playing in "windowed" mode, everything is fine.
2) Why does the problem seem to go away when I disable Aero?
3) Why do the same files play flawlessly in Windows Media Center, even
full-screen? Mfpmp.exe runs when I play the affected files under Media
Center, but barely uses resources then.

Maybe I will try the new beta drivers from NVidia, and see if that
helps.

In article <MPG.2054060f4b5da37c989697@msnews.microsoft.com >,
me@privacy.invalid says...
> Maybe I will try the new beta drivers from NVidia, and see if that
> helps.

Well, apparently it did. The files seem to play without issues now, even
full screen. :-)

Kind regards,
Mark Veldhuis.
=?Utf-8?B?Ri4gVmFnbGU=?=

RE: WMP11 slow with certain video files under Vista
I just made a 1 hour DVD of a speaker presentation. Made with Windows Movie
Maker, and Windows DVD Maker. About 15 minutes into the DVD the audio begins
to lag behind the video. Is there a solution?