Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Unable to import dvr-ms into Movie Maker

microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2007
=?Utf-8?B?OTllcg==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Unable to import dvr-ms into Movie Maker
I'm using Windows Movie Maker 6 in Vista Home Premium. I've read in several
places (including these forums) that Movie Maker in Vista will be able to
edit dvr-ms files. However, whenever I try to import dvr-ms, I get the
following error:

<filename> could not be imported. Unspecified error

I even get this when I try to import the sample dvr-ms files that came with
Vista.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thanks,
Rich
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2007
=?Utf-8?B?QmlnIEVhcmw=?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Unable to import dvr-ms into Movie Maker
I'm having the exact problem! Hopefully there is a fix!

"99er" wrote:

> I'm using Windows Movie Maker 6 in Vista Home Premium. I've read in several
> places (including these forums) that Movie Maker in Vista will be able to
> edit dvr-ms files. However, whenever I try to import dvr-ms, I get the
> following error:
>
> <filename> could not be imported. Unspecified error
>
> I even get this when I try to import the sample dvr-ms files that came with
> Vista.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2007
=?Utf-8?B?SURCVUc=?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Unable to import dvr-ms into Movie Maker
That's a double-frustrating ditto for me.

I have been using DVR edit. It is ok, but not as satisfying as Microsoft
actually fixing this problem would be.

Good luck!


"99er" wrote:

> I'm using Windows Movie Maker 6 in Vista Home Premium. I've read in several
> places (including these forums) that Movie Maker in Vista will be able to
> edit dvr-ms files. However, whenever I try to import dvr-ms, I get the
> following error:
>
> <filename> could not be imported. Unspecified error
>
> I even get this when I try to import the sample dvr-ms files that came with
> Vista.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2007
Puppy Breath
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to import dvr-ms into Movie Maker
Strange, mine come zooming right in, no problem. And I didn't install or
convert anything.

I searched for "convert dvr-ms" at download.com and found this:

http://www.download.com/DVRMSToolbox...ml?tag=lst-0-1


--
"MZM" <MZM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5E6D9CCC-BB14-40B3-A2DE-D44C58BD48A3@microsoft.com...
> ... and a triple-frustrating ditto, having the same problem here!
>
> Seems to import <filename>.wmv OK.
>
> Does anyone know of a *.dvr-ms to *.wmv converter?
>
>
>
> "IDBUG" wrote:
>
>> That's a double-frustrating ditto for me.
>>
>> I have been using DVR edit. It is ok, but not as satisfying as Microsoft
>> actually fixing this problem would be.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>>
>> "99er" wrote:
>>
>> > I'm using Windows Movie Maker 6 in Vista Home Premium. I've read in
>> > several
>> > places (including these forums) that Movie Maker in Vista will be able
>> > to
>> > edit dvr-ms files. However, whenever I try to import dvr-ms, I get the
>> > following error:
>> >
>> > <filename> could not be imported. Unspecified error
>> >
>> > I even get this when I try to import the sample dvr-ms files that came
>> > with
>> > Vista.
>> >
>> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Rich


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2007
Puppy Breath
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to import dvr-ms into Movie Maker
Yep, not problem. They open in Media Center by default. But if I right-click
one and choose Play with Windows Media Player, it plays in Media Player.


--
<.> wrote in message news:O$iWLfEXHHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Can Media Player play them.
> "Puppy Breath" <NoSpam@NoThanks.com> wrote in message
> news:18E294C6-8E63-4123-9515-2BB04C13F67D@microsoft.com...
>> Strange, mine come zooming right in, no problem. And I didn't install or
>> convert anything.
>>
>> I searched for "convert dvr-ms" at download.com and found this:
>>
>> http://www.download.com/DVRMSToolbox...ml?tag=lst-0-1
>>
>>
>> --
>> "MZM" <MZM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:5E6D9CCC-BB14-40B3-A2DE-D44C58BD48A3@microsoft.com...
>>> ... and a triple-frustrating ditto, having the same problem here!
>>>
>>> Seems to import <filename>.wmv OK.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a *.dvr-ms to *.wmv converter?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "IDBUG" wrote:
>>>
>>>> That's a double-frustrating ditto for me.
>>>>
>>>> I have been using DVR edit. It is ok, but not as satisfying as
>>>> Microsoft
>>>> actually fixing this problem would be.
>>>>
>>>> Good luck!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "99er" wrote:
>>>>
>>>> > I'm using Windows Movie Maker 6 in Vista Home Premium. I've read in
>>>> > several
>>>> > places (including these forums) that Movie Maker in Vista will be
>>>> > able to
>>>> > edit dvr-ms files. However, whenever I try to import dvr-ms, I get
>>>> > the
>>>> > following error:
>>>> >
>>>> > <filename> could not be imported. Unspecified error
>>>> >
>>>> > I even get this when I try to import the sample dvr-ms files that
>>>> > came with
>>>> > Vista.
>>>> >
>>>> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?
>>>> >
>>>> > Thanks,
>>>> > Rich

>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2007
=?Utf-8?B?TVpN?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Unable to import dvr-ms into Movie Maker
.... and a triple-frustrating ditto, having the same problem here!

Seems to import <filename>.wmv OK.

Does anyone know of a *.dvr-ms to *.wmv converter?



"IDBUG" wrote:

> That's a double-frustrating ditto for me.
>
> I have been using DVR edit. It is ok, but not as satisfying as Microsoft
> actually fixing this problem would be.
>
> Good luck!
>
>
> "99er" wrote:
>
> > I'm using Windows Movie Maker 6 in Vista Home Premium. I've read in several
> > places (including these forums) that Movie Maker in Vista will be able to
> > edit dvr-ms files. However, whenever I try to import dvr-ms, I get the
> > following error:
> >
> > <filename> could not be imported. Unspecified error
> >
> > I even get this when I try to import the sample dvr-ms files that came with
> > Vista.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rich

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2007
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to import dvr-ms into Movie Maker
Can Media Player play them.
"Puppy Breath" <NoSpam@NoThanks.com> wrote in message
news:18E294C6-8E63-4123-9515-2BB04C13F67D@microsoft.com...
> Strange, mine come zooming right in, no problem. And I didn't install or
> convert anything.
>
> I searched for "convert dvr-ms" at download.com and found this:
>
> http://www.download.com/DVRMSToolbox...ml?tag=lst-0-1
>
>
> --
> "MZM" <MZM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5E6D9CCC-BB14-40B3-A2DE-D44C58BD48A3@microsoft.com...
>> ... and a triple-frustrating ditto, having the same problem here!
>>
>> Seems to import <filename>.wmv OK.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a *.dvr-ms to *.wmv converter?
>>
>>
>>
>> "IDBUG" wrote:
>>
>>> That's a double-frustrating ditto for me.
>>>
>>> I have been using DVR edit. It is ok, but not as satisfying as
>>> Microsoft
>>> actually fixing this problem would be.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>>
>>> "99er" wrote:
>>>
>>> > I'm using Windows Movie Maker 6 in Vista Home Premium. I've read in
>>> > several
>>> > places (including these forums) that Movie Maker in Vista will be able
>>> > to
>>> > edit dvr-ms files. However, whenever I try to import dvr-ms, I get
>>> > the
>>> > following error:
>>> >
>>> > <filename> could not be imported. Unspecified error
>>> >
>>> > I even get this when I try to import the sample dvr-ms files that came
>>> > with
>>> > Vista.
>>> >
>>> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?
>>> >
>>> > Thanks,
>>> > Rich

>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2007
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to import dvr-ms into Movie Maker
I realised it wasn't you with the problem. I can import them into MM, view
them (the samples) with WMP, and watch them jerk about in WMC (but then WMC
seems unable to do anything - I'll wait for the video/audio drivers to
mature before complaining). If we had MP 6.4 it would tell us what codecs it
was actually using but 6.4 is no more.
"Puppy Breath" <NoSpam@NoThanks.com> wrote in message
news:93B88C58-DCC2-4292-99A4-1765CE679AAA@microsoft.com...
> Yep, not problem. They open in Media Center by default. But if I
> right-click one and choose Play with Windows Media Player, it plays in
> Media Player.
>
>
> --
> <.> wrote in message news:O$iWLfEXHHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Can Media Player play them.
>> "Puppy Breath" <NoSpam@NoThanks.com> wrote in message
>> news:18E294C6-8E63-4123-9515-2BB04C13F67D@microsoft.com...
>>> Strange, mine come zooming right in, no problem. And I didn't install or
>>> convert anything.
>>>
>>> I searched for "convert dvr-ms" at download.com and found this:
>>>
>>> http://www.download.com/DVRMSToolbox...ml?tag=lst-0-1
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> "MZM" <MZM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:5E6D9CCC-BB14-40B3-A2DE-D44C58BD48A3@microsoft.com...
>>>> ... and a triple-frustrating ditto, having the same problem here!
>>>>
>>>> Seems to import <filename>.wmv OK.
>>>>
>>>> Does anyone know of a *.dvr-ms to *.wmv converter?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "IDBUG" wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> That's a double-frustrating ditto for me.
>>>>>
>>>>> I have been using DVR edit. It is ok, but not as satisfying as
>>>>> Microsoft
>>>>> actually fixing this problem would be.
>>>>>
>>>>> Good luck!
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> "99er" wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> > I'm using Windows Movie Maker 6 in Vista Home Premium. I've read in
>>>>> > several
>>>>> > places (including these forums) that Movie Maker in Vista will be
>>>>> > able to
>>>>> > edit dvr-ms files. However, whenever I try to import dvr-ms, I get
>>>>> > the
>>>>> > following error:
>>>>> >
>>>>> > <filename> could not be imported. Unspecified error
>>>>> >
>>>>> > I even get this when I try to import the sample dvr-ms files that
>>>>> > came with
>>>>> > Vista.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Thanks,
>>>>> > Rich
>>>

>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-02-2007
=?Utf-8?B?SURCVUc=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to import dvr-ms into Movie Maker
Howdy Puppy Breath and "Dot". :-)

I am still having the trouble too. There is another thread here somewhere,
called "Suggestion for debug: ..." and it's on this same problem.

So far we're pretty sure that it's only people with HP or Compaq machines
who have this problem (not all HP/Compaq, just some machines have this).

Anyway, check out that thread. Do a search for "movie maker" on the Windows
vista discussion groups. It will be there.

I have used DVR2WMV, and it's ok, but it is very slow (about 1minute for
each minute of video converted) and I get horizontal lines/quality reduction
whenever I convert, so I don't like it as much. But it definitely makes the
files smaller.

Check out the green button, they have the DVR2WMV standalone. That's all I
have gotten to work. Also, DVR Edit is ok, but I have some jitters and A/V
sync problems in the output files, sometimes, so it's not the best workaround
either. Plus, I can't seem to step in frame-by-frame increments, like I can
with WMM.

Anyway, that's what I've seen. Good luck!

--IDBUG



"." wrote:

> I realised it wasn't you with the problem. I can import them into MM, view
> them (the samples) with WMP, and watch them jerk about in WMC (but then WMC
> seems unable to do anything - I'll wait for the video/audio drivers to
> mature before complaining). If we had MP 6.4 it would tell us what codecs it
> was actually using but 6.4 is no more.
> "Puppy Breath" <NoSpam@NoThanks.com> wrote in message
> news:93B88C58-DCC2-4292-99A4-1765CE679AAA@microsoft.com...
> > Yep, not problem. They open in Media Center by default. But if I
> > right-click one and choose Play with Windows Media Player, it plays in
> > Media Player.
> >
> >
> > --
> > <.> wrote in message news:O$iWLfEXHHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> >> Can Media Player play them.
> >> "Puppy Breath" <NoSpam@NoThanks.com> wrote in message
> >> news:18E294C6-8E63-4123-9515-2BB04C13F67D@microsoft.com...
> >>> Strange, mine come zooming right in, no problem. And I didn't install or
> >>> convert anything.
> >>>
> >>> I searched for "convert dvr-ms" at download.com and found this:
> >>>
> >>> http://www.download.com/DVRMSToolbox...ml?tag=lst-0-1
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> "MZM" <MZM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>> news:5E6D9CCC-BB14-40B3-A2DE-D44C58BD48A3@microsoft.com...
> >>>> ... and a triple-frustrating ditto, having the same problem here!
> >>>>
> >>>> Seems to import <filename>.wmv OK.
> >>>>
> >>>> Does anyone know of a *.dvr-ms to *.wmv converter?
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> "IDBUG" wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>> That's a double-frustrating ditto for me.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> I have been using DVR edit. It is ok, but not as satisfying as
> >>>>> Microsoft
> >>>>> actually fixing this problem would be.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Good luck!
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> "99er" wrote:
> >>>>>
> >>>>> > I'm using Windows Movie Maker 6 in Vista Home Premium. I've read in
> >>>>> > several
> >>>>> > places (including these forums) that Movie Maker in Vista will be
> >>>>> > able to
> >>>>> > edit dvr-ms files. However, whenever I try to import dvr-ms, I get
> >>>>> > the
> >>>>> > following error:
> >>>>> >
> >>>>> > <filename> could not be imported. Unspecified error
> >>>>> >
> >>>>> > I even get this when I try to import the sample dvr-ms files that
> >>>>> > came with
> >>>>> > Vista.
> >>>>> >
> >>>>> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?
> >>>>> >
> >>>>> > Thanks,
> >>>>> > Rich
> >>>
> >>

> >

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2007
=?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to import dvr-ms into Movie Maker
Hello all,

Did you point vista media center to store its files on a seperate drive?

If that is the case try the following steps:

1) Run a command box as administrator
2) browse to your tv recordings folder cd /d [drive:]\[folder]
3) type the following command
icacls .\* /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low

Hope this helps for you. It did for me.

Tom



"IDBUG" wrote:

> Howdy Puppy Breath and "Dot". :-)
>
> I am still having the trouble too. There is another thread here somewhere,
> called "Suggestion for debug: ..." and it's on this same problem.
>
> So far we're pretty sure that it's only people with HP or Compaq machines
> who have this problem (not all HP/Compaq, just some machines have this).
>
> Anyway, check out that thread. Do a search for "movie maker" on the Windows
> vista discussion groups. It will be there.
>
> I have used DVR2WMV, and it's ok, but it is very slow (about 1minute for
> each minute of video converted) and I get horizontal lines/quality reduction
> whenever I convert, so I don't like it as much. But it definitely makes the
> files smaller.
>
> Check out the green button, they have the DVR2WMV standalone. That's all I
> have gotten to work. Also, DVR Edit is ok, but I have some jitters and A/V
> sync problems in the output files, sometimes, so it's not the best workaround
> either. Plus, I can't seem to step in frame-by-frame increments, like I can
> with WMM.
>
> Anyway, that's what I've seen. Good luck!
>
> --IDBUG
>
>
>
> "." wrote:
>
> > I realised it wasn't you with the problem. I can import them into MM, view
> > them (the samples) with WMP, and watch them jerk about in WMC (but then WMC
> > seems unable to do anything - I'll wait for the video/audio drivers to
> > mature before complaining). If we had MP 6.4 it would tell us what codecs it
> > was actually using but 6.4 is no more.
> > "Puppy Breath" <NoSpam@NoThanks.com> wrote in message
> > news:93B88C58-DCC2-4292-99A4-1765CE679AAA@microsoft.com...
> > > Yep, not problem. They open in Media Center by default. But if I
> > > right-click one and choose Play with Windows Media Player, it plays in
> > > Media Player.
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > <.> wrote in message news:O$iWLfEXHHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> > >> Can Media Player play them.
> > >> "Puppy Breath" <NoSpam@NoThanks.com> wrote in message
> > >> news:18E294C6-8E63-4123-9515-2BB04C13F67D@microsoft.com...
> > >>> Strange, mine come zooming right in, no problem. And I didn't install or
> > >>> convert anything.
> > >>>
> > >>> I searched for "convert dvr-ms" at download.com and found this:
> > >>>
> > >>> http://www.download.com/DVRMSToolbox...ml?tag=lst-0-1
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> --
> > >>> "MZM" <MZM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >>> news:5E6D9CCC-BB14-40B3-A2DE-D44C58BD48A3@microsoft.com...
> > >>>> ... and a triple-frustrating ditto, having the same problem here!
> > >>>>
> > >>>> Seems to import <filename>.wmv OK.
> > >>>>
> > >>>> Does anyone know of a *.dvr-ms to *.wmv converter?
> > >>>>
> > >>>>
> > >>>>
> > >>>> "IDBUG" wrote:
> > >>>>
> > >>>>> That's a double-frustrating ditto for me.
> > >>>>>
> > >>>>> I have been using DVR edit. It is ok, but not as satisfying as
> > >>>>> Microsoft
> > >>>>> actually fixing this problem would be.
> > >>>>>
> > >>>>> Good luck!
> > >>>>>
> > >>>>>
> > >>>>> "99er" wrote:
> > >>>>>
> > >>>>> > I'm using Windows Movie Maker 6 in Vista Home Premium. I've read in
> > >>>>> > several
> > >>>>> > places (including these forums) that Movie Maker in Vista will be
> > >>>>> > able to
> > >>>>> > edit dvr-ms files. However, whenever I try to import dvr-ms, I get
> > >>>>> > the
> > >>>>> > following error:
> > >>>>> >
> > >>>>> > <filename> could not be imported. Unspecified error
> > >>>>> >
> > >>>>> > I even get this when I try to import the sample dvr-ms files that
> > >>>>> > came with
> > >>>>> > Vista.
> > >>>>> >
> > >>>>> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this?
> > >>>>> >
> > >>>>> > Thanks,
> > >>>>> > Rich
> > >>>
> > >>
> > >

> >
> >

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DVD Maker and Movie Maker issues =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 2 01-31-2007 23:55
Movie maker doesn't load in Vista Buisness Sam microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 8 01-31-2007 16:50
Why does Movie Maker crash when you try to edit a recording from W =?Utf-8?B?ZndoaXRtYW4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 1 01-23-2007 05:34
Vista Movie Maker =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE0=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 0 01-09-2007 11:51
AVI files play fine in media player, but jerky in movie maker Roof Fiddler microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 0 12-07-2006 20:57




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:28.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120