WMP 11 doesn't play fullscreen video (any)

=?Utf-8?B?YWM3?=

WMP 11 doesn't play fullscreen video (any)
Hi,

I am using Windows Vista 32 bit, and I can't watch any video (either from
file or from DVD) in fullscreen mode. I get a black screen with some audio.

Is this a performance issue?

# Processor Type : Intel Pentium-M 1.6 GHz
# Chipset : Intel 855GM / ICH4-M
# Memory : 1 GB
# Graphics : Integrated Intel 82855GM graphics controller with up to 64MB of
shared memory for video RAM
# Current screen config: 1400x1050 32 bit

Thanks
JW

Re: WMP 11 doesn't play fullscreen video (any)
The following link may explain why:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-023606.htm

"ac7" <ac7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am using Windows Vista 32 bit, and I can't watch any video (either from
> file or from DVD) in fullscreen mode. I get a black screen with some
> audio.
>
> Is this a performance issue?
>
> # Processor Type : Intel Pentium-M 1.6 GHz
> # Chipset : Intel 855GM / ICH4-M
> # Memory : 1 GB
> # Graphics : Integrated Intel 82855GM graphics controller with up to 64MB
> of
> shared memory for video RAM
> # Current screen config: 1400x1050 32 bit
>

> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?YWM3?=

Re: WMP 11 doesn't play fullscreen video (any)
Hi,

Actually it doesn't.

I know the limitations of the graphics controller, but I can't read anywhere
(including at intel) that I should get such poor performance in Vista.

Thanks

"JW" wrote:

> The following link may explain why:
>
> http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-023606.htm
>

> "ac7" <ac7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using Windows Vista 32 bit, and I can't watch any video (either from
> > file or from DVD) in fullscreen mode. I get a black screen with some
> > audio.
> >
> > Is this a performance issue?
> >
> > # Processor Type : Intel Pentium-M 1.6 GHz
> > # Chipset : Intel 855GM / ICH4-M
> > # Memory : 1 GB
> > # Graphics : Integrated Intel 82855GM graphics controller with up to 64MB
> > of
> > shared memory for video RAM
> > # Current screen config: 1400x1050 32 bit
> >

> > Thanks

JW

Re: WMP 11 doesn't play fullscreen video (any)
I thought that the following quote from the link I supplied might apply
since I thought your problem might be caused by the lack of a WDDM driver
but by a revised XPDM driver whose performace is degraded since it had to be
out of the kernal to run on Vista.
"
A: Intel will provide support for WDDM drivers beginning with the Intel« 945
Express chipset family and beyond. See question 5 below for a detailed
explanation of WDDM support on Intel« 915 Express chipset-based platforms.

However, Windows Vista is supported on the Intel« 845G, 865G, 915G Express
desktop chipsets and 852/855GM mobile chipsets running XPDM (XP Display
Driver Model) drivers for Intel graphics. Windows Vista will install on
these platforms, but advanced features such as Windows Aero will not be
enabled as XPDM drivers do not support Windows AERO.
"
> Hi,
>
> Actually it doesn't.
>
> I know the limitations of the graphics controller, but I can't read
> anywhere
> (including at intel) that I should get such poor performance in Vista.
>
> Thanks
>

> "JW" wrote:
>
>> The following link may explain why:
>>
>> http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-023606.htm
>>

>> "ac7" <ac7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am using Windows Vista 32 bit, and I can't watch any video (either
>> > from
>> > file or from DVD) in fullscreen mode. I get a black screen with some
>> > audio.
>> >
>> > Is this a performance issue?
>> >
>> > # Processor Type : Intel Pentium-M 1.6 GHz
>> > # Chipset : Intel 855GM / ICH4-M
>> > # Memory : 1 GB
>> > # Graphics : Integrated Intel 82855GM graphics controller with up to
>> > 64MB
>> > of
>> > shared memory for video RAM
>> > # Current screen config: 1400x1050 32 bit
>> >

>> > Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?YWM3?=

Re: WMP 11 doesn't play fullscreen video (any)
So XPDM drivers can't do what Windows XP does, i.e., play a simple DVD
fullscreen?

I need the full Aero experience for this?

That's strange.

"JW" wrote:

> I thought that the following quote from the link I supplied might apply
> since I thought your problem might be caused by the lack of a WDDM driver
> but by a revised XPDM driver whose performace is degraded since it had to be
> out of the kernal to run on Vista.
> "
> A: Intel will provide support for WDDM drivers beginning with the Intel® 945
> Express chipset family and beyond. See question 5 below for a detailed
> explanation of WDDM support on Intel® 915 Express chipset-based platforms.
>
> However, Windows Vista is supported on the Intel® 845G, 865G, 915G Express
> desktop chipsets and 852/855GM mobile chipsets running XPDM (XP Display
> Driver Model) drivers for Intel graphics. Windows Vista will install on
> these platforms, but advanced features such as Windows Aero will not be
> enabled as XPDM drivers do not support Windows AERO.
> "
> "ac7" <ac7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Actually it doesn't.
> >
> > I know the limitations of the graphics controller, but I can't read
> > anywhere
> > (including at intel) that I should get such poor performance in Vista.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > "JW" wrote:
> >
> >> The following link may explain why:
> >>
> >> http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-023606.htm

JW

Re: WMP 11 doesn't play fullscreen video (any)
I don't know for sure I was just suggesting that it might be the cause of
your problem since your card does not support DX9 which Vista uses heavily
for graphics, You could download a free trial of anotherVista compatible
DVD player such as WinDVD8 and try it
> So XPDM drivers can't do what Windows XP does, i.e., play a simple DVD
> fullscreen?
>
> I need the full Aero experience for this?
>
> That's strange.
>

> "JW" wrote:
>
>> I thought that the following quote from the link I supplied might apply
>> since I thought your problem might be caused by the lack of a WDDM driver
>> but by a revised XPDM driver whose performace is degraded since it had to
>> be
>> out of the kernal to run on Vista.
>> "
>> A: Intel will provide support for WDDM drivers beginning with the Intel«
>> 945
>> Express chipset family and beyond. See question 5 below for a detailed
>> explanation of WDDM support on Intel« 915 Express chipset-based
>> platforms.
>>
>> However, Windows Vista is supported on the Intel« 845G, 865G, 915G
>> Express
>> desktop chipsets and 852/855GM mobile chipsets running XPDM (XP Display
>> Driver Model) drivers for Intel graphics. Windows Vista will install on
>> these platforms, but advanced features such as Windows Aero will not be
>> enabled as XPDM drivers do not support Windows AERO.
>> "
>> "ac7" <ac7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Actually it doesn't.
>> >
>> > I know the limitations of the graphics controller, but I can't read
>> > anywhere
>> > (including at intel) that I should get such poor performance in Vista.
>> >
>> > Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?YWM3?=

Re: WMP 11 doesn't play fullscreen video (any)
I gave the DVD as an example, as it applies to any other type of video.

I'm now gathering that these problems, along with general performance using
WMP in Vista, is associated to a high processor occupation by the DRM
protection in Vista (Media Foundation Protected Pipeline EXE).

Using Winamp I have no issues at all. Isn't this a bit idiotic?

Is it possible to disable Media Foundation Protected Pipeline?

Thanks