Vista Ultimate - No Service Online Media - Need Help

=?Utf-8?B?bGt1ZGVyaWNr?=

Vista Ultimate - No Service Online Media - Need Help
I've searched through the database, and I've seen a number of posts from
people that appear to have had this problem, but no replies on if anyone
found a way to fix the problem.

I installed VU on a clean partition on my system and in Media Center under
Online Media I get a No Services messages. There doesn't seem to be any
method to add services either.

Has anyone found a method to add service providers or fix this to at least
get the standard ones? I see that some people obviously HAVE providers listed
- there has to be a method to add or fix this.

Anyone?
Dale

Re: Vista Ultimate - No Service Online Media - Need Help
My installation is pretty standard as well, Vista Ultimate on a new
home-built PC. I have 18 online providers.

What kind of firewall do you have? Have you given WMP and MCE access to the
Internet? I know I had to authorize the stores update service to pass
through my firewall but I can't say what list I had in MCE before then.

One weird thing, though, if I am not mistaken. It seems to me that when I
first installed Vista, I had a whole list of stores in WMP 11 but now only
Urge and Media Guide are there. I have to browse online stores to see
others in WMP...

Dale

"lkuderick" <lkuderick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've searched through the database, and I've seen a number of posts from
> people that appear to have had this problem, but no replies on if anyone
> found a way to fix the problem.
>
> I installed VU on a clean partition on my system and in Media Center under
> Online Media I get a No Services messages. There doesn't seem to be any
> method to add services either.
>
> Has anyone found a method to add service providers or fix this to at least
> get the standard ones? I see that some people obviously HAVE providers
> listed
> - there has to be a method to add or fix this.
>
> Anyone?

=?Utf-8?B?bGt1ZGVyaWNr?=

Re: Vista Ultimate - No Service Online Media - Need Help
Right at the moment I'm only using the stock Vista firewall. I had plenty of
media providers in the beta versions I tried (Rc1, Rc2, 5744 and 5760) and
I've done the same install on each version (i.e. wiped out the prior beta
version and did a clean install). I'm also having a problem with the
reliablity monitor not doing updates since right after the install as well.
However, everything else seems to be working fine. I show no bangs in the
device manager, and I've had no crashes to the desktop except for one BSOD
that I had on the day after the install when I attempted to uninstall some
drivers for my Belkin Nostromo game pad.

I saw one post where someone fixed his problem by re-installing Vista, but
like the reliability monitor, this is a minor problem at this point. I'm
going to wait a couple of months to see if MS sees this as a problem and
fixes it. In the meantime I was hoping that someone who had the problem may
have called MS and solved it.

If I see any further problems or if it's not fixed in the next couple of
months, I'll probably bite the bullet and re-install, but I am curious what
caused the problem in the first place.

"Dale" wrote:

> My installation is pretty standard as well, Vista Ultimate on a new
> home-built PC. I have 18 online providers.
>
> What kind of firewall do you have? Have you given WMP and MCE access to the
> Internet? I know I had to authorize the stores update service to pass
> through my firewall but I can't say what list I had in MCE before then.
>
> One weird thing, though, if I am not mistaken. It seems to me that when I
> first installed Vista, I had a whole list of stores in WMP 11 but now only
> Urge and Media Guide are there. I have to browse online stores to see
> others in WMP...
>
> Dale
>
> "lkuderick" <lkuderick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've searched through the database, and I've seen a number of posts from
> > people that appear to have had this problem, but no replies on if anyone
> > found a way to fix the problem.
> >
> > I installed VU on a clean partition on my system and in Media Center under
> > Online Media I get a No Services messages. There doesn't seem to be any
> > method to add services either.
> >
> > Has anyone found a method to add service providers or fix this to at least
> > get the standard ones? I see that some people obviously HAVE providers
> > listed
> > - there has to be a method to add or fix this.
> >
> > Anyone?

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=

Re: Vista Ultimate - No Service Online Media - Need Help
To correct "No Services found", go to SETTINGS within Media Center. Then go
to GENERAL and AUTOMATIC DOWNLOAD OPTIONS. Select "Download Now" to download
the media guide. You may also have to select "Manual Download". Save,
exit and reenter. This should reestablish all the Media Buttons.

"Dale" wrote:

> My installation is pretty standard as well, Vista Ultimate on a new
> home-built PC. I have 18 online providers.
>
> What kind of firewall do you have? Have you given WMP and MCE access to the
> Internet? I know I had to authorize the stores update service to pass
> through my firewall but I can't say what list I had in MCE before then.
>
> One weird thing, though, if I am not mistaken. It seems to me that when I
> first installed Vista, I had a whole list of stores in WMP 11 but now only
> Urge and Media Guide are there. I have to browse online stores to see
> others in WMP...
>
> Dale
>
> "lkuderick" <lkuderick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've searched through the database, and I've seen a number of posts from
> > people that appear to have had this problem, but no replies on if anyone
> > found a way to fix the problem.
> >
> > I installed VU on a clean partition on my system and in Media Center under
> > Online Media I get a No Services messages. There doesn't seem to be any
> > method to add services either.
> >
> > Has anyone found a method to add service providers or fix this to at least
> > get the standard ones? I see that some people obviously HAVE providers
> > listed
> > - there has to be a method to add or fix this.
> >
> > Anyone?

=?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gQmFyb25p?=

Re: Vista Ultimate - No Service Online Media - Need Help
Michael,

Although I have found many useful suggestions in this forum, this
unfortunately has not been one of them. I have tried these exact steps
numerous times to no avail. No matter what I do I still receive the "No
Services Found" message when attempting to view Online Media in Windows Media
Center. Reinstalling Vista is not an option, there has to be a
better/smarter way than that...I'm sure there is.

User Info: Administrator (experienced user), long-time MSDN Subscriber
Hardware Info: Shuttle XPC P2 3700W (quad-cpu), 2gb RAM
OS Info: Vista Ultimate (all patches/updates installed).

Thanks for any help you can provide and feel free to contact me if you desire.

Kevin A. Baroni
kevinb@kabconsulting.com
916-725-5771 (Sacramento, CA)

"Michael" wrote:

> To correct "No Services found", go to SETTINGS within Media Center. Then go
> to GENERAL and AUTOMATIC DOWNLOAD OPTIONS. Select "Download Now" to download
> the media guide. You may also have to select "Manual Download". Save,
> exit and reenter. This should reestablish all the Media Buttons.
>
> "Dale" wrote:
>
> > My installation is pretty standard as well, Vista Ultimate on a new
> > home-built PC. I have 18 online providers.
> >
> > What kind of firewall do you have? Have you given WMP and MCE access to the
> > Internet? I know I had to authorize the stores update service to pass
> > through my firewall but I can't say what list I had in MCE before then.
> >
> > One weird thing, though, if I am not mistaken. It seems to me that when I
> > first installed Vista, I had a whole list of stores in WMP 11 but now only
> > Urge and Media Guide are there. I have to browse online stores to see
> > others in WMP...
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > "lkuderick" <lkuderick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I've searched through the database, and I've seen a number of posts from
> > > people that appear to have had this problem, but no replies on if anyone
> > > found a way to fix the problem.
> > >
> > > I installed VU on a clean partition on my system and in Media Center under
> > > Online Media I get a No Services messages. There doesn't seem to be any
> > > method to add services either.
> > >
> > > Has anyone found a method to add service providers or fix this to at least
> > > get the standard ones? I see that some people obviously HAVE providers
> > > listed
> > > - there has to be a method to add or fix this.
> > >
> > > Anyone?

=?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gQmFyb25p?=

"Michael" wrote:

> To correct "No Services found", go to SETTINGS within Media Center. Then go
> to GENERAL and AUTOMATIC DOWNLOAD OPTIONS. Select "Download Now" to download
> the media guide. You may also have to select "Manual Download". Save,
> exit and reenter. This should reestablish all the Media Buttons.
>
> "Dale" wrote:
>
> > My installation is pretty standard as well, Vista Ultimate on a new
> > home-built PC. I have 18 online providers.
> >
> > What kind of firewall do you have? Have you given WMP and MCE access to the
> > Internet? I know I had to authorize the stores update service to pass
> > through my firewall but I can't say what list I had in MCE before then.
> >
> > One weird thing, though, if I am not mistaken. It seems to me that when I
> > first installed Vista, I had a whole list of stores in WMP 11 but now only
> > Urge and Media Guide are there. I have to browse online stores to see
> > others in WMP...
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > "lkuderick" <lkuderick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I've searched through the database, and I've seen a number of posts from
> > > people that appear to have had this problem, but no replies on if anyone
> > > found a way to fix the problem.
> > >
> > > I installed VU on a clean partition on my system and in Media Center under
> > > Online Media I get a No Services messages. There doesn't seem to be any
> > > method to add services either.
> > >
> > > Has anyone found a method to add service providers or fix this to at least
> > > get the standard ones? I see that some people obviously HAVE providers
> > > listed
> > > - there has to be a method to add or fix this.
> > >
> > > Anyone?

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=

Re: Vista Ultimate - No Service Online Media - Need Help
Sorry you couldn't get the services to work. Make that Sorry, Sorry, Sorry
(since you wrote me three times to tell me it didn't work). I didn't have
to reinstall Vista. I did have to play around a lot with the download guide
before it worked. I got a MS person on the phone and he walked thru the
steps I did and they worked for him (he also had no services in Media
Center). We also checked the firewall to make sure Media Center wasn't
blocked.

"Kevin Baroni" wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Although I have found many useful suggestions in this forum, this
> unfortunately has not been one of them. I have tried these exact steps
> numerous times to no avail. No matter what I do I still receive the "No
> Services Found" message when attempting to view Online Media in Windows Media
> Center. Reinstalling Vista is not an option, there has to be a
> better/smarter way than that...I'm sure there is.
>
> User Info: Administrator (experienced user), long-time MSDN Subscriber
> Hardware Info: Shuttle XPC P2 3700W (quad-cpu), 2gb RAM
> OS Info: Vista Ultimate (all patches/updates installed).
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide and feel free to contact me if you desire.
>
> Kevin A. Baroni
> kevinb@kabconsulting.com
> 916-725-5771 (Sacramento, CA)
>

> "Michael" wrote:
>
> > To correct "No Services found", go to SETTINGS within Media Center. Then go
> > to GENERAL and AUTOMATIC DOWNLOAD OPTIONS. Select "Download Now" to download
> > the media guide. You may also have to select "Manual Download". Save,
> > exit and reenter. This should reestablish all the Media Buttons.
> >
> > "Dale" wrote:
> >
> > > My installation is pretty standard as well, Vista Ultimate on a new
> > > home-built PC. I have 18 online providers.
> > >
> > > What kind of firewall do you have? Have you given WMP and MCE access to the
> > > Internet? I know I had to authorize the stores update service to pass
> > > through my firewall but I can't say what list I had in MCE before then.
> > >
> > > One weird thing, though, if I am not mistaken. It seems to me that when I
> > > first installed Vista, I had a whole list of stores in WMP 11 but now only
> > > Urge and Media Guide are there. I have to browse online stores to see
> > > others in WMP...
> > >
> > > Dale

=?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gQmFyb25p?=

Re: Vista Ultimate - No Service Online Media - Need Help
Michael,

Hey sorry about the triple reply, was only supposed to be doubled. I just
wanted to make sure you saw my reply from either thread. Forgot about
notifications feature. My bad. Your suggestion of verifying the firewall
was half the answer, so THANK YOU very much.

To get Online Media to work, I did the following:
1) Went to Admin Tools -> Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
2) Added both an incoming and outgoing rule for the Windows Media Center
(All protocols, All profiles).
3) From Windows Media Center, go to Tasks -> Settings -> General ->
Automatic Download Options
a) Click Manual Download
b) Click on Download Now and click OK on subsequent prompt.
c) Click Save.
5) Click on Onilne Media, you should see two choices (Program Library and
Explore).
6) Click on Explore and you should see plently of content. It appears you
must do this first before going to the Program Library option in order to
initially populate the basic services if you are not already a subscriber to
a service.
7) Now you can alternate between Program Library and Explore in the Online
Media area and ENJOY!

Thanks,
Kevin
kevinb@kabconsulting.com

"Michael" wrote:

> Sorry you couldn't get the services to work. Make that Sorry, Sorry, Sorry
> (since you wrote me three times to tell me it didn't work). I didn't have
> to reinstall Vista. I did have to play around a lot with the download guide
> before it worked. I got a MS person on the phone and he walked thru the
> steps I did and they worked for him (he also had no services in Media
> Center). We also checked the firewall to make sure Media Center wasn't
> blocked.
>
> "Kevin Baroni" wrote:
>
> > Michael,
> >
> > Although I have found many useful suggestions in this forum, this
> > unfortunately has not been one of them. I have tried these exact steps
> > numerous times to no avail. No matter what I do I still receive the "No
> > Services Found" message when attempting to view Online Media in Windows Media
> > Center. Reinstalling Vista is not an option, there has to be a
> > better/smarter way than that...I'm sure there is.
> >
> > User Info: Administrator (experienced user), long-time MSDN Subscriber
> > Hardware Info: Shuttle XPC P2 3700W (quad-cpu), 2gb RAM
> > OS Info: Vista Ultimate (all patches/updates installed).
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can provide and feel free to contact me if you desire.
> >
> > Kevin A. Baroni
> > kevinb@kabconsulting.com
> > 916-725-5771 (Sacramento, CA)
> >

> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> > > To correct "No Services found", go to SETTINGS within Media Center. Then go
> > > to GENERAL and AUTOMATIC DOWNLOAD OPTIONS. Select "Download Now" to download
> > > the media guide. You may also have to select "Manual Download". Save,
> > > exit and reenter. This should reestablish all the Media Buttons.

=?Utf-8?B?c3Rpam4=?=

Re: Vista Ultimate - No Service Online Media - Need Help
hi,
I followed your 'step-by-step', but '5) Click on Onlne Media, you should see
two choices (Program Library and > Explore)' is where it stops for me. I only
see Program Library, and not the Explore function.
I'm using Vista premium home 64 (Dutch). I'm starting to think that the
'online media' option isn't available for the 64 edition. Surfing the web for
a solution isn't helpful either, it seems nobody has this problem...

thanks

"Kevin Baroni" wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Hey sorry about the triple reply, was only supposed to be doubled. I just
> wanted to make sure you saw my reply from either thread. Forgot about
> notifications feature. My bad. Your suggestion of verifying the firewall
> was half the answer, so THANK YOU very much.
>
> To get Online Media to work, I did the following:
> 1) Went to Admin Tools -> Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
> 2) Added both an incoming and outgoing rule for the Windows Media Center
> (All protocols, All profiles).
> 3) From Windows Media Center, go to Tasks -> Settings -> General ->
> Automatic Download Options
> a) Click Manual Download
> b) Click on Download Now and click OK on subsequent prompt.
> c) Click Save.
> 5) Click on Onilne Media, you should see two choices (Program Library and
> Explore).
> 6) Click on Explore and you should see plently of content. It appears you
> must do this first before going to the Program Library option in order to
> initially populate the basic services if you are not already a subscriber to
> a service.
> 7) Now you can alternate between Program Library and Explore in the Online
> Media area and ENJOY!
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin
> kevinb@kabconsulting.com
>

> "Michael" wrote:
>
> > Sorry you couldn't get the services to work. Make that Sorry, Sorry, Sorry
> > (since you wrote me three times to tell me it didn't work). I didn't have
> > to reinstall Vista. I did have to play around a lot with the download guide
> > before it worked. I got a MS person on the phone and he walked thru the
> > steps I did and they worked for him (he also had no services in Media
> > Center). We also checked the firewall to make sure Media Center wasn't
> > blocked.
> >
> > "Kevin Baroni" wrote:
> >
> > > Michael,
> > >
> > > Although I have found many useful suggestions in this forum, this
> > > unfortunately has not been one of them. I have tried these exact steps
> > > numerous times to no avail. No matter what I do I still receive the "No
> > > Services Found" message when attempting to view Online Media in Windows Media
> > > Center. Reinstalling Vista is not an option, there has to be a
> > > better/smarter way than that...I'm sure there is.
> > >
> > > User Info: Administrator (experienced user), long-time MSDN Subscriber
> > > Hardware Info: Shuttle XPC P2 3700W (quad-cpu), 2gb RAM
> > > OS Info: Vista Ultimate (all patches/updates installed).
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help you can provide and feel free to contact me if you desire.
> > >
> > > Kevin A. Baroni
> > > kevinb@kabconsulting.com
> > > 916-725-5771 (Sacramento, CA)

=?Utf-8?B?d3lzaXd5Zw==?=

Re: Vista Ultimate - No Service Online Media - Need Help
I have the same problem with a new Dell E520 desktop with Windows Vista
Premium. I tried all the options and even changing all the settings to
Us-English (Live in Canada), no help.

Suggestions? Could it just take a while to update? When I click on "Update
now", I then select "OK" and nothing happens (or seems to happen).