MCE recorded video

Samuel Shum

MCE recorded video
Hello, I'm just wondering if there are any ways to convert the video
recorded by Vista media center to standard format like mpeg2 or wmv so it
can be viewed by other machines running Windows XP, thanks a lot!

Samuel

Gene fitzpatrick

Re: MCE recorded video
If you have current codecs, you can use WinAVI

"Samuel Shum" <samuelshum@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I'm just wondering if there are any ways to convert the video
> recorded by Vista media center to standard format like mpeg2 or wmv so it
> can be viewed by other machines running Windows XP, thanks a lot!
>
> Samuel

PapaJohn

Re: MCE recorded video
Movie Maker in Vista can handle the files and render them to wmv.... or DVD
Maker in Vista can burn them to standard video DVDs.

PapaJohn

"Samuel Shum" <samuelshum@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I'm just wondering if there are any ways to convert the video
> recorded by Vista media center to standard format like mpeg2 or wmv so it
> can be viewed by other machines running Windows XP, thanks a lot!
>
> Samuel

Bobby

Re: MCE recorded video
If you mean recorded TV programs then MC has built-in burning software to
transfer your recordings to DVD or CD.

"Samuel Shum" <samuelshum@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I'm just wondering if there are any ways to convert the video
> recorded by Vista media center to standard format like mpeg2 or wmv so it
> can be viewed by other machines running Windows XP, thanks a lot!
>
> Samuel

Samuel Shum

Re: MCE recorded video
Thanks everyone, I'll try that and report back soon.

Samuel

"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
> If you mean recorded TV programs then MC has built-in burning software to
> transfer your recordings to DVD or CD.
>
> "Samuel Shum" <samuelshum@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello, I'm just wondering if there are any ways to convert the video
>> recorded by Vista media center to standard format like mpeg2 or wmv so it
>> can be viewed by other machines running Windows XP, thanks a lot!
>>
>> Samuel

Dale

Re: MCE recorded video
But it is my understanding that recorded TV from one MCE will not play in
another MCE. I don't record TV on MCE so I will have to wait to see what
your results are.

Dale

> Thanks everyone, I'll try that and report back soon.
>
> Samuel
>
> "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
>> If you mean recorded TV programs then MC has built-in burning software to
>> transfer your recordings to DVD or CD.
>>
>> "Samuel Shum" <samuelshum@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello, I'm just wondering if there are any ways to convert the video
>>> recorded by Vista media center to standard format like mpeg2 or wmv so
>>> it can be viewed by other machines running Windows XP, thanks a lot!
>>>
>>> Samuel

Barry Watzman

Re: MCE recorded video
That is not correct, unless the content was "protected", which it's
usually not.

In fact, you can record TV shows on MCE and play them on any XP system
(non-MCE) if you install an update (available free from MS) for WMP.

Dale wrote:
> But it is my understanding that recorded TV from one MCE will not play
> in another MCE. I don't record TV on MCE so I will have to wait to see
> what your results are.
>
> Dale
>
> "Samuel Shum" <samuelshum@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks everyone, I'll try that and report back soon.
>>
>> Samuel
>>
>> "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
>>> If you mean recorded TV programs then MC has built-in burning
>>> software to transfer your recordings to DVD or CD.

Samuel

Re: MCE recorded video
Hi folks, sorry for the late reply as I just recovered from fever.
Unfortunately, my display card (Intel - 915G) can't support both "Movie
maker" and "DVD maker" and thus I can't tell if both tools can convert the
file created by MCE (with a file extension dvr-ms). Hope someone can provide
further comments on that.

Samuel

"Samuel Shum" <samuelshum@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks everyone, I'll try that and report back soon.
>
> Samuel
>
> "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
>> If you mean recorded TV programs then MC has built-in burning software to
>> transfer your recordings to DVD or CD.
>>
>> "Samuel Shum" <samuelshum@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello, I'm just wondering if there are any ways to convert the video
>>> recorded by Vista media center to standard format like mpeg2 or wmv so
>>> it can be viewed by other machines running Windows XP, thanks a lot!
>>>
>>> Samuel

Samuel

Re: MCE recorded video
Hello Barry, it sounds a good news, would you mind posting the link here and
thus we can give it a try? Thanks in advance.

Samuel