DRM R.I.P.?

MICHAEL

DRM R.I.P.?
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/...oney/music.php

By Victoria Shannon
Sunday, January 21, 2007
CANNES

With the falloff in CD sales persisting and even digital revenue growth now faltering in the
face of rampant music sharing by consumers, the major record labels appear to be closer than
ever to releasing music on the Internet with no copying restrictions.

Executives of several technology companies meeting here at Midem, the annual global trade fair
for the music industry, said this weekend that a move toward the sale of unrestricted digital
files in the MP3 format from at least one of the four major record companies could come within
months.

Music executives, however, said Sunday that the idea was self-serving on the part of technology
companies.

"Each of the majors is wrestling with the question of whether to go unrestricted," said John
Kennedy, head of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. "I think this is an
experimental year."

Most independent record labels already sell tracks digitally compressed in MP3 format, which
can be downloaded, e-mailed or copied to computers, cellphones, portable music players and
compact discs without limit.

In part, the independents see providing songs in MP3 as a way of generating publicity that
could lead to future sales.

Should one of the big four take that route, however, it would be a capitulation to the power of
the Internet, which has destroyed the monopoly of the leading record producers over the
worldwide distribution of music in the past decade and allowed file-sharing to take its place.

continued......

Nina DiBoy

Re: DRM R.I.P.?
MICHAEL wrote:
> http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/...oney/music.php
>
> By Victoria Shannon
> Sunday, January 21, 2007
> CANNES
>
> With the falloff in CD sales persisting and even digital revenue growth
> now faltering in the
> face of rampant music sharing by consumers, the major record labels
> appear to be closer than
> ever to releasing music on the Internet with no copying restrictions.
>
> Executives of several technology companies meeting here at Midem, the
> annual global trade fair
> for the music industry, said this weekend that a move toward the sale of
> unrestricted digital
> files in the MP3 format from at least one of the four major record
> companies could come within
> months.
>
> Music executives, however, said Sunday that the idea was self-serving on
> the part of technology
> companies.
>
> "Each of the majors is wrestling with the question of whether to go
> unrestricted," said John
> Kennedy, head of the International Federation of the Phonographic
> Industry. "I think this is an
> experimental year."
>
> Most independent record labels already sell tracks digitally compressed
> in MP3 format, which
> can be downloaded, e-mailed or copied to computers, cellphones, portable
> music players and
> compact discs without limit.
>
> In part, the independents see providing songs in MP3 as a way of
> generating publicity that
> could lead to future sales.
>
> Should one of the big four take that route, however, it would be a
> capitulation to the power of
> the Internet, which has destroyed the monopoly of the leading record
> producers over the
> worldwide distribution of music in the past decade and allowed
> file-sharing to take its place.
>
> continued......

OMG, I hope so! Thanks for the great article! Very inspiring.

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot
will

Re: DRM R.I.P.?
This would be a great victory for the consumer

"Nina DiBoy" <nin@di.boy> wrote in message news:ep1f4p$avr$2@aioe.org...
> MICHAEL wrote:
>> http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/...oney/music.php
>>
>> By Victoria Shannon
>> Sunday, January 21, 2007
>> CANNES
>>
>> With the falloff in CD sales persisting and even digital revenue growth
>> now faltering in the
>> face of rampant music sharing by consumers, the major record labels
>> appear to be closer than
>> ever to releasing music on the Internet with no copying restrictions.
>>
>> Executives of several technology companies meeting here at Midem, the
>> annual global trade fair
>> for the music industry, said this weekend that a move toward the sale of
>> unrestricted digital
>> files in the MP3 format from at least one of the four major record
>> companies could come within
>> months.
>>
>> Music executives, however, said Sunday that the idea was self-serving on
>> the part of technology
>> companies.
>>
>> "Each of the majors is wrestling with the question of whether to go
>> unrestricted," said John
>> Kennedy, head of the International Federation of the Phonographic
>> Industry. "I think this is an
>> experimental year."
>>
>> Most independent record labels already sell tracks digitally compressed
>> in MP3 format, which
>> can be downloaded, e-mailed or copied to computers, cellphones, portable
>> music players and
>> compact discs without limit.
>>
>> In part, the independents see providing songs in MP3 as a way of
>> generating publicity that
>> could lead to future sales.
>>
>> Should one of the big four take that route, however, it would be a
>> capitulation to the power of
>> the Internet, which has destroyed the monopoly of the leading record
>> producers over the
>> worldwide distribution of music in the past decade and allowed
>> file-sharing to take its place.
>>
>> continued......

> OMG, I hope so! Thanks for the great article! Very inspiring.
>
> --
> Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
> http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html
>
> "Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
> - T. S. Eliot

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

Re: DRM R.I.P.?
and proof that the recording industry is retarded. They're only now realising
that their DRM hasn't stopped piracy, maybe even increased it and only served
to hurt and frustrate legit customers?

"will" wrote:

> This would be a great victory for the consumer
>
> "Nina DiBoy" <nin@di.boy> wrote in message news:ep1f4p$avr$2@aioe.org...
> > MICHAEL wrote:
> >> http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/...oney/music.php
> >>
> >> By Victoria Shannon
> >> Sunday, January 21, 2007
> >> CANNES
> >>
> >> With the falloff in CD sales persisting and even digital revenue growth
> >> now faltering in the
> >> face of rampant music sharing by consumers, the major record labels
> >> appear to be closer than
> >> ever to releasing music on the Internet with no copying restrictions.
> >>
> >> Executives of several technology companies meeting here at Midem, the
> >> annual global trade fair
> >> for the music industry, said this weekend that a move toward the sale of
> >> unrestricted digital
> >> files in the MP3 format from at least one of the four major record
> >> companies could come within
> >> months.
> >>
> >> Music executives, however, said Sunday that the idea was self-serving on
> >> the part of technology
> >> companies.
> >>
> >> "Each of the majors is wrestling with the question of whether to go
> >> unrestricted," said John
> >> Kennedy, head of the International Federation of the Phonographic
> >> Industry. "I think this is an
> >> experimental year."
> >>
> >> Most independent record labels already sell tracks digitally compressed
> >> in MP3 format, which
> >> can be downloaded, e-mailed or copied to computers, cellphones, portable
> >> music players and
> >> compact discs without limit.
> >>
> >> In part, the independents see providing songs in MP3 as a way of
> >> generating publicity that
> >> could lead to future sales.
> >>
> >> Should one of the big four take that route, however, it would be a
> >> capitulation to the power of
> >> the Internet, which has destroyed the monopoly of the leading record
> >> producers over the
> >> worldwide distribution of music in the past decade and allowed
> >> file-sharing to take its place.
> >>
> >> continued......

> > OMG, I hope so! Thanks for the great article! Very inspiring.
> >
> > --
> > Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
> > http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html
> >
> > "Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
> > - T. S. Eliot

Kerry Brown

Re: DRM R.I.P.?
"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/...oney/music.php
>
> By Victoria Shannon
> Sunday, January 21, 2007
> CANNES
>
> With the falloff in CD sales persisting and even digital revenue growth
> now faltering in the
> face of rampant music sharing by consumers, the major record labels appear
> to be closer than
> ever to releasing music on the Internet with no copying restrictions.
>
> Executives of several technology companies meeting here at Midem, the
> annual global trade fair
> for the music industry, said this weekend that a move toward the sale of
> unrestricted digital
> files in the MP3 format from at least one of the four major record
> companies could come within
> months.
>
> Music executives, however, said Sunday that the idea was self-serving on
> the part of technology
> companies.
>
> "Each of the majors is wrestling with the question of whether to go
> unrestricted," said John
> Kennedy, head of the International Federation of the Phonographic
> Industry. "I think this is an
> experimental year."
>
> Most independent record labels already sell tracks digitally compressed in
> MP3 format, which
> can be downloaded, e-mailed or copied to computers, cellphones, portable
> music players and
> compact discs without limit.
>
> In part, the independents see providing songs in MP3 as a way of
> generating publicity that
> could lead to future sales.
>
> Should one of the big four take that route, however, it would be a
> capitulation to the power of
> the Internet, which has destroyed the monopoly of the leading record
> producers over the
> worldwide distribution of music in the past decade and allowed
> file-sharing to take its place.
>
> continued......

Technology is not the answer to piracy. Marketing is. Eventually anyone who
sells content rather than hard goods is going to have to deal with the
digital revolution and the Internet. This includes all forms of software.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

MICHAEL

Re: DRM R.I.P.?

> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>> http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/...oney/music.php
>>
>> By Victoria Shannon
>> Sunday, January 21, 2007
>> CANNES
>>
>> With the falloff in CD sales persisting and even digital revenue growth now faltering in the
>> face of rampant music sharing by consumers, the major record labels appear to be closer than
>> ever to releasing music on the Internet with no copying restrictions.

> Technology is not the answer to piracy. Marketing is. Eventually anyone who sells content
> rather than hard goods is going to have to deal with the digital revolution and the Internet.
> This includes all forms of software.

I absolutely agree.

-Michael