Windows Media Center

Samuel Shum

Windows Media Center
Hello, I'm now configuring media center on Vista and just wondering if it's
possible to stream out the video via http or rtsp? Thanks in advance.

Samuel

Kevin Spencer

Re: Windows Media Center
You would need a streaming server to do this. It is not part of Media
Center, but you could obtain one and install it on your system.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Bit Player
http://unclechutney.blogspot.com

In case of Minimalism, break Philip Glass.

"Samuel Shum" <samuelshum@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I'm now configuring media center on Vista and just wondering if
> it's possible to stream out the video via http or rtsp? Thanks in advance.
>
> Samuel

Samuel

Re: Windows Media Center
Hi Kevin, thanks for the info. I'd like to ask how the media server on
Windows 2003 (I assume) can connect to the Vista machine for the stream that
is captured by the TV card then? As I know, media server requires a media
encoder counterpart so it can stream out the signal in real time. It seems
there is something missing on the Vista side, can the encoder (any version)
be installed on Vista which can use the TV card as the source (I'm using
Hauppauge 150 in particular)? Sorry for raising so many questions, it's very
interesting to try something new on Vista.

Cheers,
Samuel

"Kevin Spencer" <unclechutney@nothinks.com> wrote in message
> You would need a streaming server to do this. It is not part of Media
> Center, but you could obtain one and install it on your system.
>
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Microsoft MVP
> Bit Player
> http://unclechutney.blogspot.com
>
> In case of Minimalism, break Philip Glass.
>
> "Samuel Shum" <samuelshum@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello, I'm now configuring media center on Vista and just wondering if
>> it's possible to stream out the video via http or rtsp? Thanks in
>> advance.
>>
>> Samuel

Kevin Spencer

Re: Windows Media Center
Hi Samuel,

You're correct in that Windows Server 2003 Media Server is just such a server. However, as I haven't ever used it, I can't really advise you about this. I did, however, find the Microsoft TechNet technical section for it:

"Samuel" <samuelshum@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eoOecCwOHHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi Kevin, thanks for the info. I'd like to ask how the media server on
> Windows 2003 (I assume) can connect to the Vista machine for the stream that
> is captured by the TV card then? As I know, media server requires a media
> encoder counterpart so it can stream out the signal in real time. It seems
> there is something missing on the Vista side, can the encoder (any version)
> be installed on Vista which can use the TV card as the source (I'm using
> Hauppauge 150 in particular)? Sorry for raising so many questions, it's very
> interesting to try something new on Vista.
>
> Cheers,
> Samuel
>
> "Kevin Spencer" <unclechutney@nothinks.com> wrote in message
>> You would need a streaming server to do this. It is not part of Media
>> Center, but you could obtain one and install it on your system.
>>
>> --
>> HTH,
>>
>> Kevin Spencer
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Bit Player
>> http://unclechutney.blogspot.com
>>
>> In case of Minimalism, break Philip Glass.
>>
>> "Samuel Shum" <samuelshum@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello, I'm now configuring media center on Vista and just wondering if
>>> it's possible to stream out the video via http or rtsp? Thanks in
>>> advance.
>>>
>>> Samuel

Samuel

Re: Windows Media Center
Hi Kevin, thanks for the link, I have been playing with Media Server for some times but as you said, it's only a server. I'll continue checking out whether Vista includes a client side encoder which can work with Media Center.

Cheers,
Samuel