Program needs mplayer2 from 6.4 player

=?Utf-8?B?RWNr?=

Program needs mplayer2 from 6.4 player
I'm wondering if it's possible to install the WMP 6.4 player into Windows
Vista. Some programs need that. There is VCDEasy for example. When I last
tried running it in Vista it wouldn't open as mplayer2.exe is needed for it
to run.

Should I just copy the mplayer2.exe file from my XP installation? Or should
I actually install WMP 6.4 either downloaded from Microsoft or from my IE6
SP1 cd? I wouldn't actually use it for anything but that program seems to
need it.

I know that copying the Netscape plugins from XP's Windows Media Player
folder works for the Firefox plugin. Perhaps just copying the mplayer2 file
would work for programs like this. but I'm thinking it really needs the whole
installation as I always need to reregister wmpdxm.dll after using VCDEasy in
XP. It must use the 6.4 player's Direct X Media dll so I've needed to
register the newer one following the use of VCDEasy. That tells me it uses
more than just the player to embed the video into its program.

I've asked at the VCDEasy forum whether they were planning a Vista update
but got no answer.
--
Dennis
Asus A7V880/Epox 8KRAIPRO
=?Utf-8?B?S29uc3RhbnRpbiBTaGlzaG92?=

RE: Program needs mplayer2 from 6.4 player
You can try k-lite codec pack .

It's codec pack for Video/audio + classic player ... with this set up you'll
be able to play anything you like.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

--
Microsoft MVP 1999-2002

"Eck" wrote:

> I'm wondering if it's possible to install the WMP 6.4 player into Windows
> Vista. Some programs need that. There is VCDEasy for example. When I last
> tried running it in Vista it wouldn't open as mplayer2.exe is needed for it
> to run.
>
> Should I just copy the mplayer2.exe file from my XP installation? Or should
> I actually install WMP 6.4 either downloaded from Microsoft or from my IE6
> SP1 cd? I wouldn't actually use it for anything but that program seems to
> need it.
>
> I know that copying the Netscape plugins from XP's Windows Media Player
> folder works for the Firefox plugin. Perhaps just copying the mplayer2 file
> would work for programs like this. but I'm thinking it really needs the whole
> installation as I always need to reregister wmpdxm.dll after using VCDEasy in
> XP. It must use the 6.4 player's Direct X Media dll so I've needed to
> register the newer one following the use of VCDEasy. That tells me it uses
> more than just the player to embed the video into its program.
>
> I've asked at the VCDEasy forum whether they were planning a Vista update
> but got no answer.
> --
> Dennis
> Asus A7V880/Epox 8KRAIPRO
> AthonXP3200+/Sempron3300+
> Crucial 2x512MB
> ATI Radeon x850PRO/Gigabyte Nvidia 6600GT
> Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro/Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

=?Utf-8?B?RWNr?=

RE: Program needs mplayer2 from 6.4 player
The system can already play just about anything that can be thrown at it due
to Indeo Video 5.2XP, RealPlayer, QuickTime, PowerDVD, and Nero 7 Ultra being
installed. The codecs are not the problem. Programs only using mplayer2.exe
to embed within themselves is the problem. VCDEasy really needs to update to
change that.

In the meantime I have installed the latest unofficial updated version of
Media Player Classic from free-codecs. I have renamed it to mplayer2.exe and
placed it in the Windows Media Player folder with my Start Menu shortcut
named Media Player Classic. I have not given it any default file
associations as I'd rather use the normal players most of the time.

Perhaps when I install VCDEasy this will allow it to open, recognizing an
mplayer2.exe that it can use. Don't know right now and I use VCDEasy very
infrequently in this new age of DVD making instead of VCD. I just want the
ability to create VCD's easily with VCDEasy as I always have in the past.

I've tested Media Player Classic with several formats of audio and video and
it's working perfectly. However checking the option to save its settings to
an ini file is not working. I tried changing some of the default options and
closing and reopening Media Player Classic and all the changes, including the
check I made in the box to save its settings to an ini file, are reverted to
what was there by default.

I'll research this, but there is little regarding Vista in the Media Player
Classic forum on Source Forge or the Doom9 forum. I guess Vista is still not
in the hands of the masses so very few have access to experiment with using
MPC in it as of yet.

Perhaps if I run it once as an Administrator (right click menu, choose run
as administrator), and make my changes it would then be able to save the
settings. We'll see. Heck, it seems to work fine without switching things
from the default system renderer's. Perhaps Vista already uses DX9 renderers
by default. I noticed that Aero Glass stays enabled when playing anything
in Media Player Classic, so maybe I don't need to change anything.

Heh, Media Player Classic can play DVD's without Vista switching out of Aero
Glass but PowerDVD 7 Deluxe can't! Go figure.