AVI - Divx

Joe

AVI - Divx
I have RTM version of Vista - whenever I try to import an Divx/AVI file - it crashes and kicks me out. RC2 did as well and I have tried 2 machines at home and a high end Dell at work - all three fail on different Divx files.

Is my problem because of Divx - does it only support the other type .AVI files?
Tim Mackey

Re: AVI - Divx
are you using windows media player? did you install the divx codec?
AVI videos should have no problem playing in WMP 11 (vista RTM) and Media
Center if you install the codec.

tim

"Joe" <hortoristic@gmail.dot.com> wrote in message
I have RTM version of Vista - whenever I try to import an Divx/AVI file - it
crashes and kicks me out. RC2 did as well and I have tried 2 machines at
home and a high end Dell at work - all three fail on different Divx files.

Is my problem because of Divx - does it only support the other type .AVI
files?

Richard Urban

Re: AVI - Divx
You must install the Divx codecs onto your computer. I watch Divx
frequently. No problem at all.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Joe" <hortoristic@gmail.dot.com> wrote in message
I have RTM version of Vista - whenever I try to import an Divx/AVI file - it
crashes and kicks me out. RC2 did as well and I have tried 2 machines at
home and a high end Dell at work - all three fail on different Divx files.

Is my problem because of Divx - does it only support the other type .AVI
files?

Joe

Re: AVI - Divx
My bad - I missed sharing one important thing - I don't have problem viewing
them - it's in Windows Movie Maker that it bombs...

"Tim Mackey" <tim.mackey@community.nospam> wrote in message
> are you using windows media player? did you install the divx codec?
> AVI videos should have no problem playing in WMP 11 (vista RTM) and Media
> Center if you install the codec.
>
> tim
>

> "Joe" <hortoristic@gmail.dot.com> wrote in message
> I have RTM version of Vista - whenever I try to import an Divx/AVI file -
> it crashes and kicks me out. RC2 did as well and I have tried 2 machines
> at home and a high end Dell at work - all three fail on different Divx
> files.
>
> Is my problem because of Divx - does it only support the other type .AVI
> files?

=?Utf-8?B?RWNr?=

Re: AVI - Divx
I suggest that when you do install the latest DivX codec from divx.com, you
uncheck everything except the DivX codec. That has worked fine for me in
Windows Media Player, and when giving it permission to check for updates the
first time it asks it will run a DivX icon in the system tray where you can
select other options.

I don't install the rest of it at this point because the last time I tried
the Player installation caused Vista to not be able to boot without choosing
Last Known Good Configuration. So I don't think the Player or the other
stuff like the web player are compatible with Vista as of yet.

But DivX, AVI play fine in Windows Media Player with just the codec
installed. When DivX is updated for Vista we can then install the whole
package.
--
Dennis
Asus A7V880/Epox 8KRAIPRO

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> You must install the Divx codecs onto your computer. I watch Divx
> frequently. No problem at all.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "Joe" <hortoristic@gmail.dot.com> wrote in message
> I have RTM version of Vista - whenever I try to import an Divx/AVI file - it
> crashes and kicks me out. RC2 did as well and I have tried 2 machines at
> home and a high end Dell at work - all three fail on different Divx files.
>
> Is my problem because of Divx - does it only support the other type .AVI
> files?

=?Utf-8?B?SnVsZXM=?=

Re: AVI - Divx
i used divx on my old dell with XP fine, now i have vista running on a new
vaio, downloading Divx has cause media center to crash all the time......it
appears from other forums to be when the tile searches for the image to
present for the file. Media Player will work fine.....as a perfectionist i
need all the programmes to work properly and i have found after many lost
hours that Xvid does the trick.

My only problem now is that i used to burn CD-Rs with a movie in AVI. format
and watch on my DivX compatible home DVD player, now the player wont accept
the content on the disc?!?!?!? it will if i convert the AVI to DVD
format....one more process!!!! hope this helps....

"Eck" wrote:

> I suggest that when you do install the latest DivX codec from divx.com, you
> uncheck everything except the DivX codec. That has worked fine for me in
> Windows Media Player, and when giving it permission to check for updates the
> first time it asks it will run a DivX icon in the system tray where you can
> select other options.
>
> I don't install the rest of it at this point because the last time I tried
> the Player installation caused Vista to not be able to boot without choosing
> Last Known Good Configuration. So I don't think the Player or the other
> stuff like the web player are compatible with Vista as of yet.
>
> But DivX, AVI play fine in Windows Media Player with just the codec
> installed. When DivX is updated for Vista we can then install the whole
> package.
> --
> Dennis
> Asus A7V880/Epox 8KRAIPRO
> AthonXP3200+/Sempron3300+
> Crucial 2x512MB
> ATI Radeon x850PRO/Gigabyte Nvidia 6600GT
> Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro/Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
>

> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
> > You must install the Divx codecs onto your computer. I watch Divx
> > frequently. No problem at all.
> >
> > --
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> > (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
> >
> > Quote from George Ankner:
> > If you knew as much as you think you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
> >

> > "Joe" <hortoristic@gmail.dot.com> wrote in message
> > I have RTM version of Vista - whenever I try to import an Divx/AVI file - it
> > crashes and kicks me out. RC2 did as well and I have tried 2 machines at
> > home and a high end Dell at work - all three fail on different Divx files.
> >
> > Is my problem because of Divx - does it only support the other type .AVI
> > files?

Dana Cline - MVP

Re: AVI - Divx
Try the FFDSHOW codec - it seems to have the most stable DivX...and I think
the latest version does Vista.

Dana Cline - MCE MVP