Vista Media Center "Loss of Signal"

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueS5QcmVzdG9uICh0b255LnByZXN0b25AZ21haWwuY29tKQ==?=

Vista Media Center "Loss of Signal"
I'm getting the dreaded blue "loss of signal' screen on media center with
Vista RTM . Drivers are fully updated. Fresh install.

Conexant 2388x Tuner (FM1236 MK3, NTSC)
ATI Radeon Pro 9800

I know I'm getting tv signal because I see it in the "Audio and Video Setup"
settings of Windows Live Messenger (people that chat with me get to watch
what I'm watching). And when I change the channel in Media Center, the
channel changes in the "Audio and Video Setup".

Registry entries in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Med ia
Center\Service\Video\Tuners look ok to my untrained eye. Only thing that
looks "odd" is under the second GUID? There's a TuneRequest key and then
another TuneRequest key under UserSettings. The first TuneRequest
description says "Local Analog Antenna" in the Tuning Space key, the one
under UserSettings says "Local Analog Cable" which is the one I assume is
correct.

Any ideas ?
Curious

Re: Vista Media Center "Loss of Signal"
MC requires that the incoming video be MPEG2 encoded when received from the
driver. It does not use encoded video when just cheking for available
channels.
It appears that you do not have VISTA MC compatible drivers for your your
tuner card from the card manufacturer.

"Tony.Preston (tony.preston@gmail.com)" <Tony.Preston
(tony.preston@gmail.com)@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
> I'm getting the dreaded blue "loss of signal' screen on media center with
> Vista RTM . Drivers are fully updated. Fresh install.
>
> Conexant 2388x Tuner (FM1236 MK3, NTSC)
> ATI Radeon Pro 9800
>
> I know I'm getting tv signal because I see it in the "Audio and Video
> Setup"
> settings of Windows Live Messenger (people that chat with me get to watch
> what I'm watching). And when I change the channel in Media Center, the
> channel changes in the "Audio and Video Setup".
>
> Registry entries in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Med ia
> Center\Service\Video\Tuners look ok to my untrained eye. Only thing that
> looks "odd" is under the second GUID? There's a TuneRequest key and then
> another TuneRequest key under UserSettings. The first TuneRequest
> description says "Local Analog Antenna" in the Tuning Space key, the one
> under UserSettings says "Local Analog Cable" which is the one I assume is
> correct.
>
> Any ideas ?

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueS5QcmVzdG9uICh0b255LnByZXN0b25AZ21haWwuY29tKQ==?=

Re: Vista Media Center "Loss of Signal"
That's what I'm being led to believe, but it worked the first time I
installed Vista (the day after the RTM was released to Technet members). It
stopped working sometime during the month of November and I assumed it was
due to some software I installed (namely Nero), so I reinstalled and it's
never worked since.

Could something have changed between the release date and now that would
cause my particular tuner to stop working?

Perhaps this weekend I'll try an install without an internet connection to
see if it works.

"Curious" wrote:

> MC requires that the incoming video be MPEG2 encoded when received from the
> driver. It does not use encoded video when just cheking for available
> channels.
> It appears that you do not have VISTA MC compatible drivers for your your
> tuner card from the card manufacturer.
>
> "Tony.Preston (tony.preston@gmail.com)" <Tony.Preston
> (tony.preston@gmail.com)@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
> > I'm getting the dreaded blue "loss of signal' screen on media center with
> > Vista RTM . Drivers are fully updated. Fresh install.
> >
> > Conexant 2388x Tuner (FM1236 MK3, NTSC)
> > ATI Radeon Pro 9800
> >
> > I know I'm getting tv signal because I see it in the "Audio and Video
> > Setup"
> > settings of Windows Live Messenger (people that chat with me get to watch
> > what I'm watching). And when I change the channel in Media Center, the
> > channel changes in the "Audio and Video Setup".
> >
> > Registry entries in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Med ia
> > Center\Service\Video\Tuners look ok to my untrained eye. Only thing that
> > looks "odd" is under the second GUID? There's a TuneRequest key and then
> > another TuneRequest key under UserSettings. The first TuneRequest
> > description says "Local Analog Antenna" in the Tuning Space key, the one
> > under UserSettings says "Local Analog Cable" which is the one I assume is
> > correct.
> >
> > Any ideas ?

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueS5QcmVzdG9uICh0b255LnByZXN0b25AZ21haWwuY29tKQ==?=

Re: Vista Media Center "Loss of Signal"
Also note that it worked beautifully throughout the numerous Windows XP MCE
updates from 2003 to pre-Vista.

"Tony.Preston (tony.preston@gmail.com)" wrote:

> That's what I'm being led to believe, but it worked the first time I
> installed Vista (the day after the RTM was released to Technet members). It
> stopped working sometime during the month of November and I assumed it was
> due to some software I installed (namely Nero), so I reinstalled and it's
> never worked since.
>
> Could something have changed between the release date and now that would
> cause my particular tuner to stop working?
>
> Perhaps this weekend I'll try an install without an internet connection to
> see if it works.
>
> "Curious" wrote:
>
> > MC requires that the incoming video be MPEG2 encoded when received from the
> > driver. It does not use encoded video when just cheking for available
> > channels.
> > It appears that you do not have VISTA MC compatible drivers for your your
> > tuner card from the card manufacturer.
> >
> > "Tony.Preston (tony.preston@gmail.com)" <Tony.Preston
> > (tony.preston@gmail.com)@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
> > > I'm getting the dreaded blue "loss of signal' screen on media center with
> > > Vista RTM . Drivers are fully updated. Fresh install.
> > >
> > > Conexant 2388x Tuner (FM1236 MK3, NTSC)
> > > ATI Radeon Pro 9800
> > >
> > > I know I'm getting tv signal because I see it in the "Audio and Video
> > > Setup"
> > > settings of Windows Live Messenger (people that chat with me get to watch
> > > what I'm watching). And when I change the channel in Media Center, the
> > > channel changes in the "Audio and Video Setup".
> > >
> > > Registry entries in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Med ia
> > > Center\Service\Video\Tuners look ok to my untrained eye. Only thing that
> > > looks "odd" is under the second GUID? There's a TuneRequest key and then
> > > another TuneRequest key under UserSettings. The first TuneRequest
> > > description says "Local Analog Antenna" in the Tuning Space key, the one
> > > under UserSettings says "Local Analog Cable" which is the one I assume is
> > > correct.
> > >
> > > Any ideas ?

JW

Re: Vista Media Center "Loss of Signal"
Anything but the latest updates to Nero hve been known to couse the
decoder software not to work properly., Can you play a DVD ok in Vista MC
since you installed Nero?

> That's what I'm being led to believe, but it worked the first time I
> installed Vista (the day after the RTM was released to Technet members).
> It
> stopped working sometime during the month of November and I assumed it was
> due to some software I installed (namely Nero), so I reinstalled and it's
> never worked since.
>
> Could something have changed between the release date and now that would
> cause my particular tuner to stop working?
>
> Perhaps this weekend I'll try an install without an internet connection to
> see if it works.
>
> "Curious" wrote:
>
>> MC requires that the incoming video be MPEG2 encoded when received from
>> the
>> driver. It does not use encoded video when just cheking for available
>> channels.
>> It appears that you do not have VISTA MC compatible drivers for your your
>> tuner card from the card manufacturer.
>>
>> "Tony.Preston (tony.preston@gmail.com)" <Tony.Preston
>> (tony.preston@gmail.com)@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
>> > I'm getting the dreaded blue "loss of signal' screen on media center
>> > with
>> > Vista RTM . Drivers are fully updated. Fresh install.
>> >
>> > Conexant 2388x Tuner (FM1236 MK3, NTSC)
>> > ATI Radeon Pro 9800
>> >
>> > I know I'm getting tv signal because I see it in the "Audio and Video
>> > Setup"
>> > settings of Windows Live Messenger (people that chat with me get to
>> > watch
>> > what I'm watching). And when I change the channel in Media Center, the
>> > channel changes in the "Audio and Video Setup".
>> >
>> > Registry entries in
>> > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Med ia
>> > Center\Service\Video\Tuners look ok to my untrained eye. Only thing
>> > that
>> > looks "odd" is under the second GUID? There's a TuneRequest key and
>> > then
>> > another TuneRequest key under UserSettings. The first TuneRequest
>> > description says "Local Analog Antenna" in the Tuning Space key, the
>> > one
>> > under UserSettings says "Local Analog Cable" which is the one I assume
>> > is
>> > correct.
>> >
>> > Any ideas ?

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueS5QcmVzdG9uICh0b255LnByZXN0b25AZ21haWwuY29tKQ==?=

Re: Vista Media Center "Loss of Signal"
I've done a complete reinstall of Windows Vista from a freshly formatted hard
drive since then.

"JW" wrote:

> Anything but the latest updates to Nero hve been known to couse the
> decoder software not to work properly., Can you play a DVD ok in Vista MC
> since you installed Nero?
>
> "Tony.Preston (tony.preston@gmail.com)"
> <TonyPrestontonyprestongmailcom@discussions.micros oft.com> wrote in message
> > That's what I'm being led to believe, but it worked the first time I
> > installed Vista (the day after the RTM was released to Technet members).
> > It
> > stopped working sometime during the month of November and I assumed it was
> > due to some software I installed (namely Nero), so I reinstalled and it's
> > never worked since.
> >
> > Could something have changed between the release date and now that would
> > cause my particular tuner to stop working?
> >
> > Perhaps this weekend I'll try an install without an internet connection to
> > see if it works.
> >
> > "Curious" wrote:
> >
> >> MC requires that the incoming video be MPEG2 encoded when received from
> >> the
> >> driver. It does not use encoded video when just cheking for available
> >> channels.
> >> It appears that you do not have VISTA MC compatible drivers for your your
> >> tuner card from the card manufacturer.
> >>
> >> "Tony.Preston (tony.preston@gmail.com)" <Tony.Preston

JW

Re: Vista Media Center "Loss of Signal"
Again can you play a DVD in MC?
If yes then your dedoder software and your graphics card appear to be
working fine and the problem would appear to be that you do not have the
correct VISTA drivers for your tuner card for the VISTA release that you are
running.

> I've done a complete reinstall of Windows Vista from a freshly formatted
> hard
> drive since then.
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> Anything but the latest updates to Nero hve been known to couse the
>> decoder software not to work properly., Can you play a DVD ok in Vista MC
>> since you installed Nero?
>>
>> "Tony.Preston (tony.preston@gmail.com)"
>> <TonyPrestontonyprestongmailcom@discussions.micros oft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > That's what I'm being led to believe, but it worked the first time I
>> > installed Vista (the day after the RTM was released to Technet
>> > members).
>> > It
>> > stopped working sometime during the month of November and I assumed it
>> > was
>> > due to some software I installed (namely Nero), so I reinstalled and
>> > it's
>> > never worked since.
>> >
>> > Could something have changed between the release date and now that
>> > would
>> > cause my particular tuner to stop working?
>> >
>> > Perhaps this weekend I'll try an install without an internet connection
>> > see if it works.

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueS5QcmVzdG9uICh0b255LnByZXN0b25AZ21haWwuY29tKQ==?=

Re: Vista Media Center "Loss of Signal"
I wanted to make sure so I just threw one in and it plays just fine. I've
not done any manual driver loading, so does that tell me that someone's put a
bad tuner driver out there for my tuner?

I see that I have the option of rolling back the tuner driver which I
suppose tells me that the driver has been updated from the driver that was
originally installed. I'll roll back and see what happens.