Got my 1st DRM problem in Media Center!

=?Utf-8?B?QSBM?=

Got my 1st DRM problem in Media Center!
I was watching a movie on the TV channel AMC (American Movie Classics) and
after about 10 seconds, the Media Center window turned to green with text
stating that the provider has prevented the use of the video (don't remember
the text exactly.)

I have a Hauppauge WinPVR 350 with a non HDCP nVidia 6600GT and a non HDCP
Monitor hooked up via DVI.

Would I get this message if I hooked up my monitor via an analog adapter
from the DVI port on the vid card?

No way am I going to go out and replace my 1 year old non HDCP vid card and
19 inch LCD!

Al
=?Utf-8?B?QSBM?=

RE: Got my 1st DRM problem in Media Center!

By the way, all the other channels worked fine.

I was under the impression that only high def content from digital cable via
CableCard iss prevented from being viewed unless everything has HDCP. My PVR
350 is old SD analog cable...

"A L" wrote:

> I was watching a movie on the TV channel AMC (American Movie Classics) and
> after about 10 seconds, the Media Center window turned to green with text
> stating that the provider has prevented the use of the video (don't remember
> the text exactly.)
>
> I have a Hauppauge WinPVR 350 with a non HDCP nVidia 6600GT and a non HDCP
> Monitor hooked up via DVI.
>
> Would I get this message if I hooked up my monitor via an analog adapter
> from the DVI port on the vid card?
>
> No way am I going to go out and replace my 1 year old non HDCP vid card and
> 19 inch LCD!
>
> Al

=?Utf-8?B?QSBM?=

RE: Got my 1st DRM problem in Media Center!
Okay, here's the text:

Restricted Content

Restrictions set by the broadcaster or originator of the content prohibit
playback of the program on this computer.

Bah humbug! It's analog TV. My Pioneer DVR is more than happy to record
it!!!

"A L" wrote:

> By the way, all the other channels worked fine.
>
> I was under the impression that only high def content from digital cable via
> CableCard iss prevented from being viewed unless everything has HDCP. My PVR
> 350 is old SD analog cable...
>

> "A L" wrote:
>
> > I was watching a movie on the TV channel AMC (American Movie Classics) and
> > after about 10 seconds, the Media Center window turned to green with text
> > stating that the provider has prevented the use of the video (don't remember
> > the text exactly.)
> >
> > I have a Hauppauge WinPVR 350 with a non HDCP nVidia 6600GT and a non HDCP
> > Monitor hooked up via DVI.
> >
> > Would I get this message if I hooked up my monitor via an analog adapter
> > from the DVI port on the vid card?
> >
> > No way am I going to go out and replace my 1 year old non HDCP vid card and
> > 19 inch LCD!
> >
> > Al

Wayne W.

"A L" <AL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay, here's the text:
>
> Restricted Content
>
> Restrictions set by the broadcaster or originator of the content prohibit
> playback of the program on this computer.
>
> Bah humbug! It's analog TV. My Pioneer DVR is more than happy to record
> it!!!

I saw this happen during the Beta. What version of Vista are you using? If
it is a beta version, then that is the problem.

=?Utf-8?B?QSBM?=

Re: Got my 1st DRM problem in Media Center!
RTM/6000

Again, all other channels work fine.

> RTM/6000
>
> Again, all other channels work fine.

Ok, then the bug is back. I have a set top box, but have MCE setup to use
only channel 3. I then change channels with my set top box. Maybe you could
try that?

--
_____________________
Wayne Wastier

=?Utf-8?B?QSBM?=

Re: Got my 1st DRM problem in Media Center!
Not having this one particular channel isn't a huge issue for me, I just
wasn't expecting to be locked out of an analog channel- thought this problem
only occurs w/ digital HD material. It will be a while before I upgrade to a
digital/cable card tuner.

"Wayne W." wrote:

> "A L" <AL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > RTM/6000
> >
> > Again, all other channels work fine.
> >

> Ok, then the bug is back. I have a set top box, but have MCE setup to use
> only channel 3. I then change channels with my set top box. Maybe you could
> try that?
>
> --
> _____________________
> Wayne Wastier
> Spokane, WA 99201
> ---
> Humility does not mean thinking less of yourself.
> It means thinking of yourself less.
> -- C.S. Lewis

Nathan Wallace

Re: Got my 1st DRM problem in Media Center!
i just had the same problem with dune in windows media from a dvr-ms file.
an error came up saying "you do not have sufficient rights to view this
file." GEEZ! And this is retail vista ultimate!

>I was watching a movie on the TV channel AMC (American Movie Classics) and
> after about 10 seconds, the Media Center window turned to green with text
> stating that the provider has prevented the use of the video (don't
> remember
> the text exactly.)
>
> I have a Hauppauge WinPVR 350 with a non HDCP nVidia 6600GT and a non HDCP
> Monitor hooked up via DVI.
>
> Would I get this message if I hooked up my monitor via an analog adapter
> from the DVI port on the vid card?
>
> No way am I going to go out and replace my 1 year old non HDCP vid card
> and
> 19 inch LCD!
>
> Al

Dale

Re: Got my 1st DRM problem in Media Center!
Were you watching it in HDTV? Is it even available as HDTV?

I thought that non-hd content was supposed to play as is and only HD content
was supposed to be limited. Even then, I thought they were just going to
fuzz digital content on non-compliant hardware. So now the providers like
AMC can encode something into their broadcast that is decoded in Windows.
Why do they care what hardware you watch it on? If they don't want it
watched, don't broadcast it; put it only on pay-per-view.

Well, obviously Vista and Microsoft chose the content providers over their
customers in the DRM arena. DRM probably spells the end of MCE as far as I
am concerned.

Dale

"Nathan Wallace" <greenmeddler@communities.nospam> wrote in message
>i just had the same problem with dune in windows media from a dvr-ms file.
>an error came up saying "you do not have sufficient rights to view this
>file." GEEZ! And this is retail vista ultimate!
>
> "A L" <AL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I was watching a movie on the TV channel AMC (American Movie Classics) and
>> after about 10 seconds, the Media Center window turned to green with text
>> stating that the provider has prevented the use of the video (don't
>> remember
>> the text exactly.)
>>
>> I have a Hauppauge WinPVR 350 with a non HDCP nVidia 6600GT and a non
>> HDCP
>> Monitor hooked up via DVI.
>>
>> Would I get this message if I hooked up my monitor via an analog adapter
>> from the DVI port on the vid card?
>>
>> No way am I going to go out and replace my 1 year old non HDCP vid card
>> and
>> 19 inch LCD!
>>
>> Al

=?Utf-8?B?QSBM?=

Re: Got my 1st DRM problem in Media Center!
Dale-

My problem with AMC is definitely SD content only. My PVR card is capable
of only SD.

I agree with absolutely everything you wrote- every single point you made.
I'm semi curious- wondering if I hooked up a analog monitor via a VGA cable
instead of DVI if I could then watch the AMC channel. In otherwords, is AMC
blocked for everyone no matter if you have analog, digital w/ HDCP or digital
w/o HDCP, or is MCE done in such a way that watching AMC allowed if in analog
or digital w/ HDCP. I can't test the digital w/ HDCP since I'm unwilling to
purchase a new vid card and monitor.

AL

AL