DEP error closes DVD Maker in Vista RTM x86

Wayne Wastier

DEP error closes DVD Maker in Vista RTM x86
Anyone else seeing this when trying to combine MPG files into a DVD using
Windows DVD Maker?

Wayne

Wayne W.

Re: DEP error closes DVD Maker in Vista RTM x86
"Wayne Wastier" <homeboy@nowhere.spam.com> wrote in message
> Anyone else seeing this when trying to combine MPG files into a DVD using
> Windows DVD Maker?
>

> Wayne

Ok, I went back into XP and used Movie Maker to turn the mpg files into one
big WMV file. Now DVD Maker works without crashing. I am burning the DVD
now, but since it didn't crash out on me this time I feel it will be ok. ;0)

I wonder why Windows DVD Maker has problems with MPG files?

Wayne

--
_____________________
Wayne Wastier

Kerry Brown

Re: DEP error closes DVD Maker in Vista RTM x86
It's most likely a 3rd party codec causing the DEP error. Have you installed
any DVD/CD burning apps, video editing apps, 3rd party codecs, etc.?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

> It's most likely a 3rd party codec causing the DEP error. Have you
> installed any DVD/CD burning apps, video editing apps, 3rd party codecs,
> etc.?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Yup. I have Power Cinema 3.0 for ATI installed. That is what I use to
record with.

--
_____________________
Wayne Wastier

Kerry Brown

>> It's most likely a 3rd party codec causing the DEP error. Have you
>> installed any DVD/CD burning apps, video editing apps, 3rd party codecs,
>> etc.?
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>

> Yup. I have Power Cinema 3.0 for ATI installed. That is what I use to
> record with.

A quick search doesn't turn up any DEP problems with that program. What DVD
burning program do you use?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca

Wayne W.

Re: DEP error closes DVD Maker in Vista RTM x86

> A quick search doesn't turn up any DEP problems with that program. What
> DVD burning program do you use?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

I was attempting to use Microsoft DVD Maker that comes with Vista Ultimate
RTM x86. That program does work with WMV files, but it doesn't like the MPG
files produced by Power Cinema. I would use MCE to record with, but it
stops, sputters and spews ... way to often for my tastes. <sigh>

Wayne

Kerry Brown

>> A quick search doesn't turn up any DEP problems with that program. What
>> DVD burning program do you use?
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca

> I was attempting to use Microsoft DVD Maker that comes with Vista Ultimate
> RTM x86. That program does work with WMV files, but it doesn't like the
> MPG files produced by Power Cinema. I would use MCE to record with, but
> it stops, sputters and spews ... way to often for my tastes. <sigh>
>

> Wayne

I was thinking maybe a burning program had added some codecs. Most of the
suite type programs do. Diagnosing DEP errors can be very hard. It's rarely
the reported program that's at fault. It's usually some add on that's doing
something in the background. What antivirus and antispyware programs are you
using?

> I was thinking maybe a burning program had added some codecs. Most of the
> suite type programs do. Diagnosing DEP errors can be very hard. It's
> rarely the reported program that's at fault. It's usually some add on
> that's doing something in the background. What antivirus and antispyware
> programs are you using?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Oh, now I see what you were getting at. I have Roxio 7.0 installed. While
it does have a DVD creator program, it doesn't work in Vista. However, it
doesn't work in XP Pro SP2 either. LOL. I tried DVD Santa, and while it
worked in as far as creating a DVD image and burning it, the lip-sync was
way off. So, I am just going to record with Power Cinema and then change
format to WMV and finally use Windows DVD Maker. ROFLOL..... A lot of
trouble but it at least it works.

--
_____________________
Wayne Wastier

> Oh, now I see what you were getting at. I have Roxio 7.0 installed.
> While it does have a DVD creator program, it doesn't work in Vista.
> However, it doesn't work in XP Pro SP2 either. LOL. I tried DVD Santa,
> and while it worked in as far as creating a DVD image and burning it, the
> lip-sync was way off. So, I am just going to record with Power Cinema
> and then change format to WMV and finally use Windows DVD Maker.
> ROFLOL..... A lot of trouble but it at least it works.

You can download a program to see what codecs are installed here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/..._Detective.htm

Look and see which ones work with mpg files. This is likely the cause of the
errors.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca

Wayne W.

Re: DEP error closes DVD Maker in Vista RTM x86
vp6vfw.dll is the culprit. And what is interesting is that I don't have it
installed in XP SP2, or XP x64.

Wayne