RE: mpeg-2

=?Utf-8?B?VGVjaG5vbG9neSBHdXk=?=

RE: mpeg-2
I'm running RC2. The codecs in this final Vista release just expired
(yesterday) in the same way as the betas...

"Naveen Thumpudi [MSFT]" wrote:

> The reason for this behavior is that the "trial period" on MPEG-2 codecs
> needed for MCE/DVD playback/burn has expired around 8/31 in Vista Beta 2.
> Using RC1 is the right solution for now. The codecs in final Vista release
> would not have such an expiration.
>
> Naveen Thumpudi [MS]
> ----
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers not rights.
> ----
>

> "LeeG" wrote:
>
> > I understand that Media player shipped with Vista has its own mpeg2 decoder
> > enabling the playing of dvd movies. I get the message that no suitable dvd
> > decoder is installed. Am I missing something?
> >
> > Vista build 5384
> > AMD64 3000+
> > 1GB ram
> > 256mb asus nvidia n6600 graphics

Jeff

Re: mpeg-2
RC2 is beta,
RTM is final

Jeff

"Technology Guy" <TechnologyGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running RC2. The codecs in this final Vista release just expired
> (yesterday) in the same way as the betas...
>
> "Naveen Thumpudi [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> The reason for this behavior is that the "trial period" on MPEG-2 codecs
>> needed for MCE/DVD playback/burn has expired around 8/31 in Vista Beta 2.
>> Using RC1 is the right solution for now. The codecs in final Vista
>> release
>> would not have such an expiration.
>>
>> Naveen Thumpudi [MS]
>> ----
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers not
>> rights.
>> ----
>>

>> "LeeG" wrote:
>>
>> > I understand that Media player shipped with Vista has its own mpeg2
>> > decoder
>> > enabling the playing of dvd movies. I get the message that no suitable
>> > dvd
>> > decoder is installed. Am I missing something?
>> >
>> > Vista build 5384
>> > AMD64 3000+
>> > 1GB ram
>> > 256mb asus nvidia n6600 graphics

=?Utf-8?B?VGVjaG5vbG9neSBHdXk=?=

Re: mpeg-2
Gotcha. OK, guess it had to happen eventually...

"Jeff" wrote:

> RC2 is beta,
> RTM is final
>
> Jeff
>
> "Technology Guy" <TechnologyGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running RC2. The codecs in this final Vista release just expired
> > (yesterday) in the same way as the betas...
> >
> > "Naveen Thumpudi [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> The reason for this behavior is that the "trial period" on MPEG-2 codecs
> >> needed for MCE/DVD playback/burn has expired around 8/31 in Vista Beta 2.
> >> Using RC1 is the right solution for now. The codecs in final Vista
> >> release
> >> would not have such an expiration.
> >>
> >> Naveen Thumpudi [MS]
> >> ----
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers not
> >> rights.
> >> ----

Jeff

Re: mpeg-2
No problemo-
off topic-but they did the same thing with Defender in XP-
the beta was done Dec 31st, and it'll error out if you try and run it, have
to uninstall,and get the final-lol
not a peep from MSFT; at first; saw it on their website I think though-but
in the meantime;had at least 15 calls from customers, saying Defender was
broke in XP
LOL