Tuner Not Installed Message

Sandro

Tuner Not Installed Message
I love the new feature in Vista where things mysteriously stop working.

Vista's Media Center stopped recognizing my WinTV PVR-150 tuner. Last night
it was working great. This morning it stopped working completely. I have
the latest drivers installed. Even uninstalled all WinTV drivers and
reinstalled the Vista drivers. No go. Then I thought it might be the
hardware even though Device Manager says its working fine. So I installed
the WinTV software to see if it recognizes the tuner. WinTV software works
fine. I can tune all the channels and watch. I even did a restore to a
point I know everything was stable. Still no go.

So the problem is that Media Center does not recognize but Vista RC1 does.
Any ideas on why MC is saying "Tuner Not Installed"? Is there another
service or file that may not be running?

Thanks

Sandro

Re: Tuner Not Installed Message
One more note. I just tried to play a recorded show and I got a message in
media center "Trial Expiration". I still have 10 days on Vista use. Why am
I getting this message and is this related to the fact that Media Center
says "Tuner not Installed"?

"Sandro" <sandro@camarao.tv> wrote in message
>I love the new feature in Vista where things mysteriously stop working.
>
> Vista's Media Center stopped recognizing my WinTV PVR-150 tuner. Last
> night it was working great. This morning it stopped working completely.
> I have the latest drivers installed. Even uninstalled all WinTV drivers
> and reinstalled the Vista drivers. No go. Then I thought it might be the
> hardware even though Device Manager says its working fine. So I installed
> the WinTV software to see if it recognizes the tuner. WinTV software
> works fine. I can tune all the channels and watch. I even did a restore
> to a point I know everything was stable. Still no go.
>
> So the problem is that Media Center does not recognize but Vista RC1 does.
> Any ideas on why MC is saying "Tuner Not Installed"? Is there another
> service or file that may not be running?
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?UklDSw==?=

RE: Tuner Not Installed Message
Have same issue here. In addition to this issue I also get a "trial
expiration" message when trying to play a recorded show. The issue just
started today. In troubleshooting I have changed MCE decoders and have
installed the lasted patches for PVR-150 tuner. No go, still get the same
issues. Any help?

"Sandro" wrote:

> I love the new feature in Vista where things mysteriously stop working.
>
> Vista's Media Center stopped recognizing my WinTV PVR-150 tuner. Last night
> it was working great. This morning it stopped working completely. I have
> the latest drivers installed. Even uninstalled all WinTV drivers and
> reinstalled the Vista drivers. No go. Then I thought it might be the
> hardware even though Device Manager says its working fine. So I installed
> the WinTV software to see if it recognizes the tuner. WinTV software works
> fine. I can tune all the channels and watch. I even did a restore to a
> point I know everything was stable. Still no go.
>
> So the problem is that Media Center does not recognize but Vista RC1 does.
> Any ideas on why MC is saying "Tuner Not Installed"? Is there another
> service or file that may not be running?
>
> Thanks

JW

Re: Tuner Not Installed Message
What release of Vista are you ruinning? If RC1 the trial version of the
VISTA MPEG2 dedoder expired on November 13th in RC1 so you have to set the
clock bak or use another decoder.

"RICK" <RICK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have same issue here. In addition to this issue I also get a "trial
> expiration" message when trying to play a recorded show. The issue just
> started today. In troubleshooting I have changed MCE decoders and have
> installed the lasted patches for PVR-150 tuner. No go, still get the same
> issues. Any help?
>
> "Sandro" wrote:
>
>> I love the new feature in Vista where things mysteriously stop working.
>>
>> Vista's Media Center stopped recognizing my WinTV PVR-150 tuner. Last
>> night
>> it was working great. This morning it stopped working completely. I
>> have
>> the latest drivers installed. Even uninstalled all WinTV drivers and
>> reinstalled the Vista drivers. No go. Then I thought it might be the
>> hardware even though Device Manager says its working fine. So I
>> installed
>> the WinTV software to see if it recognizes the tuner. WinTV software
>> works
>> fine. I can tune all the channels and watch. I even did a restore to a
>> point I know everything was stable. Still no go.
>>
>> So the problem is that Media Center does not recognize but Vista RC1
>> does.
>> Any ideas on why MC is saying "Tuner Not Installed"? Is there another
>> service or file that may not be running?
>>
>> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?UklDSw==?=

Re: Tuner Not Installed Message
I am using RC1 and I have changed the default decoder via the Vista
MediaCenter decoder utility to the Cyberlink decoders. Nevertheless, I am
still getting these issues; trial experation and tuner card issues. The
tuner card works just fine through Nero Showtime. These issues just started
on 12/31/2006.

RICK

"JW" wrote:

> What release of Vista are you ruinning? If RC1 the trial version of the
> VISTA MPEG2 dedoder expired on November 13th in RC1 so you have to set the
> clock bak or use another decoder.
>
> "RICK" <RICK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have same issue here. In addition to this issue I also get a "trial
> > expiration" message when trying to play a recorded show. The issue just
> > started today. In troubleshooting I have changed MCE decoders and have
> > installed the lasted patches for PVR-150 tuner. No go, still get the same
> > issues. Any help?
> >
> > "Sandro" wrote:
> >
> >> I love the new feature in Vista where things mysteriously stop working.
> >>
> >> Vista's Media Center stopped recognizing my WinTV PVR-150 tuner. Last
> >> night
> >> it was working great. This morning it stopped working completely. I
> >> have
> >> the latest drivers installed. Even uninstalled all WinTV drivers and
> >> reinstalled the Vista drivers. No go. Then I thought it might be the
> >> hardware even though Device Manager says its working fine. So I
> >> installed
> >> the WinTV software to see if it recognizes the tuner. WinTV software
> >> works
> >> fine. I can tune all the channels and watch. I even did a restore to a
> >> point I know everything was stable. Still no go.
> >>
> >> So the problem is that Media Center does not recognize but Vista RC1
> >> does.
> >> Any ideas on why MC is saying "Tuner Not Installed"? Is there another
> >> service or file that may not be running?
> >>
> >> Thanks

Sandro

Re: Tuner Not Installed Message
I just downloaded the NVidia Trial Version and used the Vista Decoder
Utility. Same issues:
1. Media Center says "Tuner Not Installed" when going to Live TV
2. Recorded TV says "Trial Expiration" when trying to play a recorded
file.

>I am using RC1 and I have changed the default decoder via the Vista
> MediaCenter decoder utility to the Cyberlink decoders. Nevertheless, I am
> still getting these issues; trial experation and tuner card issues. The
> tuner card works just fine through Nero Showtime. These issues just
> started
> on 12/31/2006.
>
> RICK
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>> What release of Vista are you ruinning? If RC1 the trial version of the
>> VISTA MPEG2 dedoder expired on November 13th in RC1 so you have to set
>> the
>> clock bak or use another decoder.
>>
>> "RICK" <RICK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Have same issue here. In addition to this issue I also get a "trial
>> > expiration" message when trying to play a recorded show. The issue
>> > just
>> > started today. In troubleshooting I have changed MCE decoders and have
>> > installed the lasted patches for PVR-150 tuner. No go, still get the
>> > same
>> > issues. Any help?

Christopher

same here
I think it is too much of a coincidence that 2 of you have the same problem that I have.. that on dec 31st, you now get the tuner not installed and the trial has expired notification.

Same for me.

As far as my details, ys I have already had the nov expiration of the vista decoder (thanks!).. and I ended up dropping coin on the nvideo decoder... which has been working fine, until this problem.

I have RC1 build - evaulation copy , build 5600

My understanding is that this would work until June.. am I wrong with this?

On a side note, there is an additional frustration, where wehn I could watch live TV, often movies on tv (like scarface on A&E, for example) would come up as restricted content. I found on other forums that people could not watch the HBO they were paying for..

All I want is a working Media Center.... sigh.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Christopher

common prob it seems
FYI - here is another forum chat about this issue. no solution mentioned (except maybe rolling your clock back)

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=651732

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Curious

Re: common prob it seems
I have now seen posts from about 10 individuals that they can no longer use
their tuner after 12/32/2006 if ruining VISTA RC1. I have not seen any
solution posted and don't know if moving the clock back on this old release
will help.
<Christopher> wrote in message news:200711161825crdawson01@yahoo.com...
> FYI - here is another forum chat about this issue. no solution mentioned
> (except maybe rolling your clock back)
>
> http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=651732

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Jake Landry

Solved
I can confirm that setting your clock back will get it to work. I had the same problem, set back the year to 2005 and everything will work fine.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com