can you prevent monitor power saving during video playback?

Tim Mackey

can you prevent monitor power saving during video playback?
hi,
i notice WMP 11 has an option to disable the screensaver. this isn't much
use if you use the default power scheme and the monitor switches off every
20 mins. how can i make Vista stay awake while i'm watching a video in WMP?
not using media center.

i want to keep the default 20 minute monitor setting because it is a very
sensible level of power saving to have. surely if WMP can prevent the
screensaver it shouldn't be so impossible to prevent monitor switch-off due
to powersaving? i couldn't find it in the WMP options, or as an option in
control panel / power options.

i was hoping with this latest and greatest OS that the power-management team
wouldn't pass the buck to the media player team who would only pass it back
again saying it's not their problem... it doesn't really matter who does
it, it needs to be a feature!

tim

Dale

Re: can you prevent monitor power saving during video playback?
Sounds like a great idea. I support it!

You should open this newsgroup in Microsoft's web based news reader and
choose New->Suggestion to Microsoft and submit your suggestion that way.
That way, the community has the ability to vote on your suggestion,
elevating its priority to the Vista product team.

You can open the newsgroup in the web based reader at
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...1-81625b77f1fe.

Dale

"Tim Mackey" <tim.mackey@community.nospam> wrote in message
> hi,
> i notice WMP 11 has an option to disable the screensaver. this isn't much
> use if you use the default power scheme and the monitor switches off every
> 20 mins. how can i make Vista stay awake while i'm watching a video in
> WMP? not using media center.
>
> i want to keep the default 20 minute monitor setting because it is a very
> sensible level of power saving to have. surely if WMP can prevent the
> screensaver it shouldn't be so impossible to prevent monitor switch-off
> due to powersaving? i couldn't find it in the WMP options, or as an
> option in control panel / power options.
>
> i was hoping with this latest and greatest OS that the power-management
> team wouldn't pass the buck to the media player team who would only pass
> it back again saying it's not their problem... it doesn't really matter
> who does it, it needs to be a feature!
>
> tim

Tim Mackey

Re: can you prevent monitor power saving during video playback?
hi Dale,
great idea, i just submitted the suggestion to MS. i'm surprised they
missed this feature to be honest, having had the foresight to add 'disable
screensaver' but not to include power options. in any case, WMP 11 is good
enough now IMHO to use for the first time instead of winamp. so i
definitely like what they've done with WMP 11.

cheers
tim