Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

VOB Files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2006
 

Posts: n/a
VOB Files
Hi folks,

Can anyone explain to me why Windows Explorer can show a thumbnail of a VOB
file (and therefore interpret the file), but Windows Media Player is unable
to play it?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2006
Tim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: VOB Files
WMP will play it as long as it's not copy protected. Change the .vob
extension to .mpg.


<gary@noconsequence.com> wrote in message
news:59BB6DCF-F889-485B-B44C-2C803EE84572@microsoft.com...
> Hi folks,
>
> Can anyone explain to me why Windows Explorer can show a thumbnail of a
> VOB file (and therefore interpret the file), but Windows Media Player is
> unable to play it?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2006
 

Posts: n/a
Re: VOB Files
I knew about the .mpg trick, but I can't get anything to play if it still
has the .VOB extension, copy protected or not.

Not a big deal really, but just wondered why it doesn't work in WMP, but
Explorer can display a thumbnail.
"Tim" <twentworth@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
news:urb7kRlIHHA.3268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> WMP will play it as long as it's not copy protected. Change the .vob
> extension to .mpg.
>
>
> <gary@noconsequence.com> wrote in message
> news:59BB6DCF-F889-485B-B44C-2C803EE84572@microsoft.com...
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Can anyone explain to me why Windows Explorer can show a thumbnail of a
>> VOB file (and therefore interpret the file), but Windows Media Player is
>> unable to play it?

>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2008
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1
vobsfrommycamcorder is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah my issue is that i have vob's from my sony dvd handycam and i can not play them anymore or burn them with DVD Maker. My old computer had Xp, all was great back then. NOTHING to do with copyright here?? Vista is just junk!!! All Microsoft has to do is make a fix for this petty crap and it would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-26-2008
zachd [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: VOB Files

You can browse to your VOBs in Windows Movie Maker by using Show All Files
in the Import Files... window, and then save them out as WMVs that should
work fine with DVD Maker.

VOBs aren't really designed to be useful for DVD Maker, so you're kind of
trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. But via the above you
should be able to get it working.

--
Speaking for myself only.
See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--
"vobsfrommycamcorder"
<vobsfrommycamcorder.3ftdkf@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
news:vobsfrommycamcorder.3ftdkf@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>
> Yeah my issue is that i have vob's from my sony dvd handycam and i can
> not play them anymore or burn them with DVD Maker. My old computer had
> Xp, all was great back then. NOTHING to do with copyright here?? Vista
> is just junk!!! All Microsoft has to do is make a fix for this petty
> crap and it would be very helpful.
>
>
> --
> vobsfrommycamcorder
> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
zip files into exe of stationery files Tracy microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 12 03-02-2007 01:59
Importing OE .dbx files =?Utf-8?B?QnJ5YW4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 02-11-2007 20:08
Itunes, music folder and temp files =?Utf-8?B?S2FybG9z?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 1 02-06-2007 17:20
Deleting Files From Outlhouse. Ian H microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 0 01-29-2007 12:57
Re: How can I recover my .dbx files? mac microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 2 12-19-2006 04:20




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:37.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120