Vista vs. Linksys WMCE54AG Extender?

Bill Cohagan

Vista vs. Linksys WMCE54AG Extender?
Are there drivers for this Linksys/Cisco extender? Vista Ultimate is not
finding the extender on the network. It previously worked fine with MCE 2005
on the same PC.

TIA,
Bill

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9oblZAbm4=?=

RE: Vista vs. Linksys WMCE54AG Extender?
The "version 1" extenders such as yours are not compatible with the Vista
Media Center. There will be "version 2" extenders that work with Vista. For
now the only extender compatible with Vista is the XBox 360.

John

"Bill Cohagan" wrote:

> Are there drivers for this Linksys/Cisco extender? Vista Ultimate is not
> finding the extender on the network. It previously worked fine with MCE 2005
> on the same PC.
>
> TIA,
> Bill

Bill Cohagan

Re: Vista vs. Linksys WMCE54AG Extender?
Thanks for the response. I've now got it hooked up to an Xbox and it's
working (almost) fine. I keep getting "network issues" error boxes on the
TV screen. I've just posted details in another message.

Bill

"JohnV@nn" <JohnVnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The "version 1" extenders such as yours are not compatible with the Vista
> Media Center. There will be "version 2" extenders that work with Vista.
> For
> now the only extender compatible with Vista is the XBox 360.
>
> John
>
> "Bill Cohagan" wrote:
>
>> Are there drivers for this Linksys/Cisco extender? Vista Ultimate is not
>> finding the extender on the network. It previously worked fine with MCE
>> 2005
>> on the same PC.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Bill

Bill Cohagan

Re: Vista vs. Linksys WMCE54AG Extender?
John
Is the version1/version2 issue a hardware matter or a driver/firmware
matter? I'm trying to decide if my Linsys is going to just become a
paperweight.

Thanks,
Bill
"JohnV@nn" <JohnVnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The "version 1" extenders such as yours are not compatible with the Vista
> Media Center. There will be "version 2" extenders that work with Vista.
> For
> now the only extender compatible with Vista is the XBox 360.
>
> John
>
> "Bill Cohagan" wrote:
>
>> Are there drivers for this Linksys/Cisco extender? Vista Ultimate is not
>> finding the extender on the network. It previously worked fine with MCE
>> 2005
>> on the same PC.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Bill

David Wright

Re: Vista vs. Linksys WMCE54AG Extender?
Unfortunately, it looks as if you will need to buy new Extenders for Vista,
unless you happen to have a Xbox360 (which can connect to MCE2005 and
Vista). You also have options if you have a V1 Xbox, but as far as the V1
HP/Linksys Extender's, they are going to be useless with Vista.

"Bill Cohagan" <cohagan@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> John
> Is the version1/version2 issue a hardware matter or a driver/firmware
> matter? I'm trying to decide if my Linsys is going to just become a
> paperweight.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

=?Utf-8?B?Tm90YW5lZSBCb3VyYXNzYQ==?=

Re: Vista vs. Linksys WMCE54AG Extender?
What options do you have if you possess a V1 xBox with the Media Center
Extender Software? I've already tried it and it fails. After entering the
setup key in the Extender Setup on the Vista Premium, it fails to find the
extender.

I too own a WMCE54AG (Connects to my MCE 2005) and am very very disappointed
to learn that it will never be supported seeing as I had bought it in winter
2006. It is my sincerist wish that LinkSys can create another firmware update
which can overcome this.