change sequence of pictures

Falko

change sequence of pictures
I want to change the sequence of pictures to create a slide show in correct
order. For example, picture 7 should become picture 1. How can I do this ?
Adam Albright

Re: change sequence of pictures
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 02:48:01 -0700, Falko
<Falko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I want to change the sequence of pictures to create a slide show in correct
>order. For example, picture 7 should become picture 1. How can I do this ?

You can drag pictures to the timeline in any order you want. If
already on the timeline just select the ones you want to move and drag
them around to their new position.

Example:

You have pictures 1, 2, 3, but want to change the positions of 2 and
3. click on #2 while holding down left mouse drag it right and let go
once it is right of #3 then let go.

In a similar way you can click on any image to change it's play time.
Once you see the double headed red arrow, drag left to shorten, right
to lengthen.

Falko

Re: change sequence of pictures
Adam,
Thanks for swift response. Unfortunately, it does not work, either by
holding down the left ot right mouse click. I click on the picture, it gets a
blue frame, I drag it to the new position, it gets a small round white/red
circle at the right bottem of the picture, I let go the mouse click and the
picture falls back to its original position.

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 02:48:01 -0700, Falko
> <Falko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I want to change the sequence of pictures to create a slide show in correct
> >order. For example, picture 7 should become picture 1. How can I do this ?

> You can drag pictures to the timeline in any order you want. If
> already on the timeline just select the ones you want to move and drag
> them around to their new position.
>
> Example:
>
> You have pictures 1, 2, 3, but want to change the positions of 2 and
> 3. click on #2 while holding down left mouse drag it right and let go
> once it is right of #3 then let go.
>
> In a similar way you can click on any image to change it's play time.
> Once you see the double headed red arrow, drag left to shorten, right
> to lengthen.

Adam Albright

Re: change sequence of pictures
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 05:02:00 -0700, Falko
<Falko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Adam,
>Thanks for swift response. Unfortunately, it does not work, either by
>holding down the left ot right mouse click. I click on the picture, it gets a
>blue frame, I drag it to the new position, it gets a small round white/red
>circle at the right bottem of the picture, I let go the mouse click and the
>picture falls back to its original position.

That sounds like you're trying to drag a picture from some directory
listing, that won't work.

Wrong way: Under Import, click on pictures. A new window opens listing
some directory of images. If you click on any it gets
a pale blue surround, as you drag it out of this
window a little circle with a red line through it
appears. Once you let go, this image jumps back to
where it was. That's Vista's way of saying you can't do
what you just tried.

Right way: Under Import, click on pictures. A new window opens listing
some directory of images. Select the image you want. NOW
click IMPORT. Shut the window. The image now appear under
Imported Media. Now select, hold down the left mouse and
drag to timeline and let go. It should stick on the
timeline.

It should work the same way moving anything already on the timeline.

Did you change to TIMELINE View? If you are still in Storyboard view
while you can move images around it is more tricky, at least to me.
Again if you click the image it should get a pale blue border. Once
you start to drag it you should see a black circle. That's Vista's way
of saying don't let go yet, if you do, nothing happens and the image
will just drop back to where it was. If you hold the left mouse down
and watch until the black circle changes to a outline of a little box
THEN let go it will work. When does this happen? You need to move just
past the half way point of the image you're moving over before the
cursor changes from a circle to a box.

>"Adam Albright" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 02:48:01 -0700, Falko
>> <Falko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I want to change the sequence of pictures to create a slide show in correct
>> >order. For example, picture 7 should become picture 1. How can I do this ?

>> You can drag pictures to the timeline in any order you want. If
>> already on the timeline just select the ones you want to move and drag
>> them around to their new position.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> You have pictures 1, 2, 3, but want to change the positions of 2 and
>> 3. click on #2 while holding down left mouse drag it right and let go
>> once it is right of #3 then let go.
>>
>> In a similar way you can click on any image to change it's play time.
>> Once you see the double headed red arrow, drag left to shorten, right
>> to lengthen.

Falko

Re: change sequence of pictures
Adam,
sorry but you lost me. I click Windows Photo Gallery, I click a tag, photos
appear and I want to change the sequence of the photos listed to get a better
slideshow. Under file, I have no import command (only from camera and
scanner).
I did a story under Windows Photo Story 3 and changed several times the
position of photos without any trouble.
But I cannot change the sequence of photos within a tag under Windows Photo
Gallery.
Sorry to bother you again.

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 05:02:00 -0700, Falko
> <Falko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Adam,
> >Thanks for swift response. Unfortunately, it does not work, either by
> >holding down the left ot right mouse click. I click on the picture, it gets a
> >blue frame, I drag it to the new position, it gets a small round white/red
> >circle at the right bottem of the picture, I let go the mouse click and the
> >picture falls back to its original position.

> That sounds like you're trying to drag a picture from some directory
> listing, that won't work.
>
> Wrong way: Under Import, click on pictures. A new window opens listing
> some directory of images. If you click on any it gets
> a pale blue surround, as you drag it out of this
> window a little circle with a red line through it
> appears. Once you let go, this image jumps back to
> where it was. That's Vista's way of saying you can't do
> what you just tried.
>
> Right way: Under Import, click on pictures. A new window opens listing
> some directory of images. Select the image you want. NOW
> click IMPORT. Shut the window. The image now appear under
> Imported Media. Now select, hold down the left mouse and
> drag to timeline and let go. It should stick on the
> timeline.
>
> It should work the same way moving anything already on the timeline.
>
> Did you change to TIMELINE View? If you are still in Storyboard view
> while you can move images around it is more tricky, at least to me.
> Again if you click the image it should get a pale blue border. Once
> you start to drag it you should see a black circle. That's Vista's way
> of saying don't let go yet, if you do, nothing happens and the image
> will just drop back to where it was. If you hold the left mouse down
> and watch until the black circle changes to a outline of a little box
> THEN let go it will work. When does this happen? You need to move just
> past the half way point of the image you're moving over before the
> cursor changes from a circle to a box.
>

> >"Adam Albright" wrote:

> >> You can drag pictures to the timeline in any order you want. If
> >> already on the timeline just select the ones you want to move and drag
> >> them around to their new position.
> >>
> >> Example:
> >>
> >> You have pictures 1, 2, 3, but want to change the positions of 2 and
> >> 3. click on #2 while holding down left mouse drag it right and let go
> >> once it is right of #3 then let go.
> >>
> >> In a similar way you can click on any image to change it's play time.
> >> Once you see the double headed red arrow, drag left to shorten, right
> >> to lengthen.

Adam Albright

Re: change sequence of pictures
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:00:04 -0700, Falko
<Falko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Adam,
>sorry but you lost me. I click Windows Photo Gallery, I click a tag, photos
>appear and I want to change the sequence of the photos listed to get a better
>slideshow. Under file, I have no import command (only from camera and
>scanner).
>I did a story under Windows Photo Story 3 and changed several times the
>position of photos without any trouble.
>But I cannot change the sequence of photos within a tag under Windows Photo
>Gallery.
>Sorry to bother you again.

I think were talking apples and oranges. I'm referring to making a
slideshow using Movie Maker which is part of Vista. This will easily
let you make a slideshow with images in any order you wish. Trying to
do it from Photo Galley it is next to impossible to make a slideshow
in any order other than what the images are already in.

>"Adam Albright" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 05:02:00 -0700, Falko
>> <Falko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Adam,
>> >Thanks for swift response. Unfortunately, it does not work, either by
>> >holding down the left ot right mouse click. I click on the picture, it gets a
>> >blue frame, I drag it to the new position, it gets a small round white/red
>> >circle at the right bottem of the picture, I let go the mouse click and the
>> >picture falls back to its original position.

>> That sounds like you're trying to drag a picture from some directory
>> listing, that won't work.
>>
>> Wrong way: Under Import, click on pictures. A new window opens listing
>> some directory of images. If you click on any it gets
>> a pale blue surround, as you drag it out of this
>> window a little circle with a red line through it
>> appears. Once you let go, this image jumps back to
>> where it was. That's Vista's way of saying you can't do
>> what you just tried.
>>
>> Right way: Under Import, click on pictures. A new window opens listing
>> some directory of images. Select the image you want. NOW
>> click IMPORT. Shut the window. The image now appear under
>> Imported Media. Now select, hold down the left mouse and
>> drag to timeline and let go. It should stick on the
>> timeline.
>>
>> It should work the same way moving anything already on the timeline.
>>
>> Did you change to TIMELINE View? If you are still in Storyboard view
>> while you can move images around it is more tricky, at least to me.
>> Again if you click the image it should get a pale blue border. Once
>> you start to drag it you should see a black circle. That's Vista's way
>> of saying don't let go yet, if you do, nothing happens and the image
>> will just drop back to where it was. If you hold the left mouse down
>> and watch until the black circle changes to a outline of a little box
>> THEN let go it will work. When does this happen? You need to move just
>> past the half way point of the image you're moving over before the
>> cursor changes from a circle to a box.

SF Bay'er

Re: change sequence of pictures
Have you tried using Photo Story 3 (freebie from Microsoft)?
Tom
"Falko" <Falko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to change the sequence of pictures to create a slide show in correct
> order. For example, picture 7 should become picture 1. How can I do this ?

Falko

Re: change sequence of pictures
Sorry Adam that I took your time.
To tell the full story, I have used Movie Maker and Photostory 3 with
success but it takes time. I wanted to use Photo Gallary to be quick.
Thanks for your help, FALKO

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:00:04 -0700, Falko
> <Falko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Adam,
> >sorry but you lost me. I click Windows Photo Gallery, I click a tag, photos
> >appear and I want to change the sequence of the photos listed to get a better
> >slideshow. Under file, I have no import command (only from camera and
> >scanner).
> >I did a story under Windows Photo Story 3 and changed several times the
> >position of photos without any trouble.
> >But I cannot change the sequence of photos within a tag under Windows Photo
> >Gallery.
> >Sorry to bother you again.

> I think were talking apples and oranges. I'm referring to making a
> slideshow using Movie Maker which is part of Vista. This will easily
> let you make a slideshow with images in any order you wish. Trying to
> do it from Photo Galley it is next to impossible to make a slideshow
> in any order other than what the images are already in.
> >
> >"Adam Albright" wrote:

> >> That sounds like you're trying to drag a picture from some directory
> >> listing, that won't work.
> >>
> >> Wrong way: Under Import, click on pictures. A new window opens listing
> >> some directory of images. If you click on any it gets
> >> a pale blue surround, as you drag it out of this
> >> window a little circle with a red line through it
> >> appears. Once you let go, this image jumps back to
> >> where it was. That's Vista's way of saying you can't do
> >> what you just tried.
> >>
> >> Right way: Under Import, click on pictures. A new window opens listing
> >> some directory of images. Select the image you want. NOW
> >> click IMPORT. Shut the window. The image now appear under
> >> Imported Media. Now select, hold down the left mouse and
> >> drag to timeline and let go. It should stick on the
> >> timeline.
> >>
> >> It should work the same way moving anything already on the timeline.
> >>
> >> Did you change to TIMELINE View? If you are still in Storyboard view
> >> while you can move images around it is more tricky, at least to me.
> >> Again if you click the image it should get a pale blue border. Once
> >> you start to drag it you should see a black circle. That's Vista's way
> >> of saying don't let go yet, if you do, nothing happens and the image
> >> will just drop back to where it was. If you hold the left mouse down
> >> and watch until the black circle changes to a outline of a little box
> >> THEN let go it will work. When does this happen? You need to move just
> >> past the half way point of the image you're moving over before the
> >> cursor changes from a circle to a box.

Falko

Re: change sequence of pictures
Tom, thanks for info. Yes, Photostory 3 works fine. I thought I can do a
simple slideshow with Photo Gallery but Adam tells me it is almost impossible
to change the sequence of the photos which I wanted to do. Regards, FALKO